Grumman JRF Goose question

Hello everyone. I recently inherited numerous model airplanes from my grandfather who recently passed away. He taught me the art of model building back in the 80's and I've kept up on it here and there over the years. I have a 6 year old boy that I'd like to pass on the knowledge that my grandfather taught me. I want to make sure that I do my grandfather justice by building his models to the highest standard. That's what lands me here on this forum.

The Grumman JRF Goose made by Sword:

The model looks pretty straight forward. I found a good paint scheme along with decals. My question is regarding the windscreen. Am I supposed to cut it out? How does this thing work? I've never seen one like this before.

I look forward to your help. Thank you in advance.

sword_goose-parts1-lg.jpg

Those are vacu-formed. They're actualy quite nice when well-molded as they're very thin. You do need to be careful cutting them out, though. It may be useful to carefully mark the cut line with a felt marker; make sure you stay away from the to-be-clear portion if it's a Sharpie or other permanent marker. Make light cuts with a sharp blade and then carefully trim with a sanding stick.

In my experience, the first one you do is more scary than anything else. I'm sure your grandfather taught you to be careful and patient--that's all that's really needed here. Well, that and a steady hand. :)

There are a number of ways to prep your vac canopy. One method I use is to use very thin strips of masking tape to line the edges of the actual canopy/glass section. I then use small, very sharp scissors to cut as close to this line as a I can. I then use a sanding stick to touch up the cauts, sanding a bit here and a bit there until I get it where I want. Keep test fitting during the process so you don't remove too much plastic. It's nice that Sword has given you two canopies. As noted above, if you mess one up, you've got a spare to work with.

Looking forward to seeing how this one turns out.

Thanks guys. Don, I'll use the tape and small sharp scissors method as you suggested. I'm really taking my time on this one since it was my grandfathers. I'm nowhere on the level of most of the people on this forum, but I've picked up some nice tips along the way. A compressor and spray gun is at the top of my list! Gotta start somewhere. Thanks again!

Matt

photo-1_zps52cab099.jpg

I'm all for getting the airbrush and compressor, but remember, it's like any other tool. To use it effectively you need to practice, practice, practice. It may be worth using an old model as a "test mule." Of course you may be a natural and my advice will be totally out to lunch, but you get the idea. :whistle: