G.D. F-16XL Ft Worth 1982

Hi there.

My want for this kit stemmed from someone doing RNZAF A4K colours on a graphic (looking from the front to rear) of an F-16XL in flight. Neat! And that it is apparently one of the nicest 1/144 F-16 kits out (until the forthcoming Revell 1/144 release?)

Trumpeter and Heller I understand are copies of the LEE?ARII original. If so, I think I would like the original kit.

The decals have obvious colour and accuracy issues.

The instructions have incorrect colour placements

There is no mention of weight to be added to the nose (I hope I have added enough to prevent a tail-sitter)

There are wing 'holes' for 8 pylons (per wing) yet the instructions and sprue only have 6 bombs (total!) being placed.

This does allow a lot of space for someone to WHIFF the dickens out of the kit for something massive, like a Kh6 or JP233s :D (hmmm Freightdog models have those now in 1/144 too... that COULD be an interesting WHIFF replacement GR4/5)

When assembling the intake, take care to assemble them directly to the lower fuselage and then shim or fill. This will simplfy (I think/hope) the blending of the exterior pieces and leave only the insides to worry about.

It may prove to be worth someones while to remove the complete rear-wall of the air-intake as there is a small sprue mold ejection circle on the INTERIOR facing out. What a bloody awkward place to correct. If the entire rear-wall is removed it would be much easier to make intake duct 'disappear' into the body. (or even draw on a little fan?)

So far with the paint on, I have hated (yet like) the decals - thin, brittle, over (and under) printed and mis-shappen.

I have applied some Microscale liquid decal film to see if that makes a difference.

The nice thing with the decals though is that with some Microsol they do conform nicely to the fuselage.

Depending on what sort of touch-up job, I don't know that I will 'seal' these decals at the end of the build (once posted here) and perhaps remove them to make a WHIFF scheme :)

The AIM9s that come with it look suprisingly similar to AIM9Xs and not Limas or other versions. The AMRAAMS look AMRAAM shaped and of course, both (as the display craft had them) will be painted completely white with no markings (that I am aware of)

Things to do: Continue with major decals, apply lots of Microsol, clean up aforementioned decals (where possible), add yet more Microsol, attach undercarriage and u/c doors, attach missiles, paint rear canopy frame, re-make radome probe, check colours (and paint if needed) AIM9 rails on wing-tips, finish decals, add more Microsol then pretend that I will be happy with it and post pictures here.

Tadah! :P

Wege,

Firstly I admire your tenacity in building this model/kit.

Secondly I would not have been any wiser as you are with the decals or the placements colors being incorrect.

Not having that knowledge would have ME follow the instructions regarding the colors etc without ever thinking

it was all incorrect, so I admire that you know your stuff!

It is quite an interesting thread to follow. :yahoo:

Looking good so far.neat work. :thumbsup:

You have done a very good job albeit you have some issues with the kits accessories ..

Good luck.will be back to see your build... :wave:

Edited by HOLMES
  • 2 weeks later...

I would like to say finished... I just have pictures to post. :)

The decals still proved troublesome even with some liquid decal film. However it was fine as it was a learning experience with the liquid film.

Things I would do differently if I could? Get a Japanese kit of the plane instead of a French kit.

HOWEVER! As a kit it does look very much like an F16XL and doesn't seem to have weird canopy/nose/intake/tail issues.

An area that a nitpicker/AMS person would possibly 'love' to look at would be the panel lines. A 'major panel line' area of concern could be the refueling intake area - I don't think that either decal or 'panel lines as stock' with the kit accurately place the intake point. The 'panel lines', as engraved I think, would place the fuel probe straight into the engine :o

There is plenty of area (I think) for some of the more skilled members (not including myself) to add plumbing into the wheel-bays. Certainly the support strucks of the main carriage could do with being made 'triangular' rather then straight rectangular rods. I think it would be noticeable to be corrected.

Another bone of contention that I don't think is going to be able to be fixed in a jiffy are the rear AMRAAM placements - they seem to have the rear missles 'floating' a bit in the air in the rear. :P I don't know how to fix that. Hmmm

Never mind, I shall go and upload the pics to here and then people can go "ugh" :P

It was a nice simple build.

Tools used:

Paint brushes

Humbrol Glue (don't use it.. use Revell Contacta instead.. MUCH nicer/better)

Humbrol, Model Master and Mr Hobby paints

knives and cutter

internet for actual colour list and paint placement :)

If I had the Heller kit again, I would make it into a What-If or try to find some other NASA/Experimental colours instead.

Edited by Wege