I'm in!!!!!! 7 weeks late but for good reason. I'll be starting construction on this classic old Guillows kit tonight or tomorrow. I remember building this one and the Skyraider with my dad. They both flew, and crashed many times in the back yard, but he always seemed to repair them. This one is never going to fly, when done it is going to hang from the ceiling in my model/train room.

0715a8865fbbfe292fedd704abcb1f30.jpg

7fd033c3336cc96c4b82bd8c871a8263.jpg

7aea03875a2949a7beeacfb03347386e.jpg

35e068239ab1a687f58d6d6f03004c6f.jpg

So I made a little progress today, not much, but I got the ret of the ribs on the port side of the fuselage glued on, once they are dry, I'll glue the main spar that runs down the side in place, then lift it off so I can glue the ribs for the stbd side in place. Tis kit is as fun as I remember, it's not like building a plastic kit where the basic form is there, you have to "make" the airplane. Whenim working on this, I think about the photos I've seen from WWI factories, workers placing spars and ribs in place individually. It's a lot of fun, but surprisingly easy, especially if you have some experience building Estes rockets.

24bea0b7a270b58a7552c76f360e3eb5_zpsf6e71034.jpg

394377b300df7caee1dfc2f075dec2e1_zps57295e84.jpg

Thanks for looking, Bill

The plans do come with the kit, they are not actual bluebrints of the aircraft, but drawings of the kit itself. The blasa pieces are precut, you just cut them out with a #11 blade, pin them down on the pans over the picture of the piece and glue them, pretty fool proof really. You have to make sure to put wax paper over the plan so the plane doesnt stick. I accidentally glued one of the ribs on backwards, so I need to try to pop it off without breaking it.

I remember my dad built the corsair when I was pretty young but it never got skinned. It just sat in the basement as a skeleton airplane for years and years. I think finally he skinned it wih layers of tissue paper but it turned out bad and I think he pitched it.

Never seen a wip of one of these.

Just a quick update, I didn't get that much done, I have to make a new rib for part B-12, so tomorrow I'll glue the last two ribs in place, then the side keel, then I can start adding the formers all the way around. I'm a little apprehensive about everything being square and how well the lower wing will fit, I guess time will tell.

bfe4f1ebd57ceaee3dacf46bda592048.jpg

5bf6a2d9b82bc61b7af31d8d5f770143.jpg

Thanks for looking

Bill

• 1 month later...