How has mobile computing changed your modeling?

So Andy Gulbertson's recent new computer thread got me thinking of how my mobile has changed or improved the enjoyment of this hobby. Let me list a few ways and lets further discuss:

-Appps! I can easily take quick snapshots of my work in progress on the workbench, upload them to Photobucket on the app and post the image link in a in-progress forum. This can be done in 60s flat. If I had to drag out a digital camera it would take me much longer and be time preventative to uplad to a PC than do the same. I still do that from time to time for completed gallery shots but it is the exception now.

-Research and reference material: I used to have to print stuff out and stack it on the workbench, which created clutter. Now I surf for what I want between commercials of football games, bookmark it and have it at my fingertips when I'm ready to use it. For example- that subtle mix of Russian Mig interior turquoise blue out of Tamiya Acrylics

- Surfing ARC and the forums , I can do this sitting on the can, in church (God understands) or while waiting for my Hot Wings at a restaurant.

Please add to the list and remember not to type the proper name of your mobile devices or you will get "I am Spammer" and such :bandhead2:

As far as my mobile device "changing" my modeling, it's made me a more informed consumer in two ways.

I maintain my wishlist as a txt file on my personal laptop in Dropbox and subsequently have access to the file via my mobile Dropbox app. (I need to move my list of models in the stash into Dropbox so I don't accidentally buy dupes!)

I often use my mobile device at the hobby shop or in the vendors room at a contest to confirm some aspect about a particular model (like, is this the Hasegawa F-4J that has raised or recessed panel lines).

The ability to browse sites like this is merely a convenience.

Steven Brown

Scale Model Soup

Edited by thegoodsgt

There's an app I use called iModelKit. It is a reference library for every paint manufactured as well as real world paint numbers. So when you're in a hobby store it's really easy to use this tool to figure out what Tamyia paint works with what FS number.

It also has a nifty paint mixing tool tied into the camera. Take a picture of the colour in question and this app will allow you to virtually mix paints to find the best match. I've found it actually works pretty well.

I've been using my camera and Photobucket app to take and upload pictures for a build thread. That's all I use my smartphone for as far as modeling.

I use my laptop a lot, to research details and pull up reference pics at my workbench. My smartphone's screen is too small to be useful in this capacity.

Edited by dmk0210

It's helped me tremendously in that I can "google" a kit review while I'm in the hobby shop and ascertain whether a particular kit is a new mold or rebox, or whether it has raised panel lines or recessed. This is especially useful with the recent Airfix kits, which are much better than their older work, but often can be found on shelves side by side.

It's helped me tremendously in that I can "google" a kit review while I'm in the hobby shop and ascertain whether a particular kit is a new mold or rebox, or whether it has raised panel lines or recessed. This is especially useful with the recent Airfix kits, which are much better than their older work, but often can be found on shelves side by side.

That's exactly what I would use it for had I a smartphone! Since more and more shops forbid box openings and some brands keep repopping old molds mixed with similar boxes containing the new mold kits that would be very useful indeed.

Arnaud

PS I am not targetting brands starting with "Hase" and finishing with "gawa" ;)

As I have two desks, one for modelling and one for the other things, and only one computer, I used to run back and forth every time I wanted to look up something. Those days are over. I use my I Pad to look up stuff, save links and documents in dropbox so I can access them every where I want, and I don't have to print everything anymore.

But unfortunately, My I Pad has taken away from my modelling time. As a kid I read close to a thousand pages a week. As I got older, that changed a lot, and I only read a few books a year. But since I've gotten my tablet, I've been reading like a madman again. And with the internet, I no longer have to stick to what my local bookshop and library have in store.

Edited by huntermountain

I want to thank you for mentioning this app. I installed it last night and looked wround and it seems quite handy. It might even be handy in my real-world job, too. Maybe we need a thread just for modeling apps.

There's an app I use called iModelKit. It is a reference library for every paint manufactured as well as real world paint numbers. So when you're in a hobby store it's really easy to use this tool to figure out what Tamyia paint works with what FS number.

It also has a nifty paint mixing tool tied into the camera. Take a picture of the colour in question and this app will allow you to virtually mix paints to find the best match. I've found it actually works pretty well.

Edited by famvburg

I want to thank you for mentioning this app. I installed it last night and looked wround and it seems quite handy. It might even be handy in my real-world job, too. Maybe we need a thread just for modeling apps.

Fanvberg- this thread was intended to talk modeling apps too.

I also use iModelkit. Great app. I'd reccomend anyone who downloads it contribute to the author.

It hasn't. I don't have a data plan for my phone. I use it only for phone calls and text messaging.

+1

LOL... I have a data plan, pretty much only use it to answer SWMBO on BBM. I am not an apple user nor will I ever be, I think my next phone will more than likely be some sort of Android run phone.

I'll check and see if Modelkit is available on Android devices ...

I recently got a Nexus 7 tablet ...

-Gregg

On an unrelated note, I just downloaded this, and it's the best Nexus 7 app ever:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.alk.copilot.mapviewer&hl=en

A GPS navigation app that doesn't need a data connection to run. You can buy a turn-by-turn function as an in-app purchase that turns your N7 into a 7" GPS car navigation unit.

As for apps that have changed my modeling, I'd say Flickr is probably the one that's done the most.