Building a 1/144 MH-53J Pave Low

Hi folks,

I have started building my pave low. The base kit is revell 1/144 HH-53C. Nose sensors are ready but it will be the last part to be installed, minor fix is needed to represent MH-53J. The radar dome is a bit larger so I need and try to either sand off and put fillings on the side.

I need help for the markings. I will grab star-and-bar from Dragon's MH-60G and some stencils. I searched the net, found some that don't have walkways, some have. So if someone can send me or attach a photo where I can clearly see the walkways. I might just paint or cut excess black decals from other kits.

Thanks in advance.

Well here you go from my memory. IF they had black walkways this is how they looked. While I was wrenching on them, usually in phase dock the black non skid paint was touched up to match the camo, so the non skid surface was still there, but no longer black. The stripe went under the input drive shaft cowlings as well. There may have been a rectangle behind the main rotor head on the dog house as well similar to whats forward of the main rotor head.

IMAG1693_zpsa253dd3b.jpg

To add to wrench's comments. Some of the Paves had non-skid on the forward portion of the fuel tanks also. A couple of strips was all. Once they went grey, the non-skid stayed black. IIRC, the desert birds had the non-skid sprayed over like the Euro schemed helicopters did.

Check out this pic I found on the net. It shows it pretty clearly

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/b3/MH-53J_Pave_Low_III.jpg/490px-MH-53J_Pave_Low_III.jpg

-Jeff

Thanks guys. Lots of help I got here. As I noticed, the revell's HH-53C kit's FT pylons are longer (pylons that are molded to the FTs), I will just ignore it. I tried to cut, reshape the rotor blades and I think I can live with it.

I attached pictures, blurry though (not investing on cameras), of the nose sensor:

IMG_00000205_zpsaec630b3.jpg

IMG_00000184.jpg

IMG_00000202_zps325430be.jpg

IMG_00000200_zpsb52dd36c.jpg

Sensors on each pylons, chaff/flare dispensers will be from excess sprues.

The nose sensor was acquired from my personal friend,tikbhoy who build this kit:

http://www.scale-rotors.com/galerie/1-utility-helicopters/2522-hh-60h-rescue-hawk-dragon.html

Edited by snickers

Sorry for the crappy picture....(its supposed to be right side up....hope it updates on photo bucket).

IMAG1737.jpg

left to right...

450 gallon aluminum tank for early ch/hh-53b/c

650 gallon aluminum tank for late hh-53b/c, hh-53h/j

650 gallon kevlar tank for mh-53j/m (after 1986-7)

The two aluminum tanks were actually aux tanks from other aircraft just adapted to the -53, I am still trying to figure out which ones....F-105 comes to mind.

Upon further investigation...the F-105 has it.

The 450 gallong wing tanks were adapted, with the top fin removed, then later the 650 gallon centerline tank was adapted with smaller and straight fins.

HA2501-6final.jpg

LOL, good call Matt...ya beat me to it on the match for the mid-timeframe tanks.

Edited by xmh53wrench

To xmh53wrench, you've been helpful with the drawings. A lot of help I got. But I realized there are lots to modify on the base kit. From main rotors, tanks, ECM sensors, nose, to build a -J. How about ending up building a Marine CH-53D instead??

To mattp, I will try modify tanks from 1/48th sprues. And if not get satisfied, then I'll leave those tanks intact and finish it a -J. Anyway, I build models just for personal collections.

I am not sure exactly which tanks come with the 1/144 kit, but if they are the second (middle) style, then you can build a HH-53H Pave Low II (circ 1980-1986). They had the 650 gal aluminum tanks, standard H-53 aluminum blades (not composite E model blades), standard non-folding rotor head, and European 1 camouflage.