1/48 CF-101 Voodoo 409 Squadron 1967

Just saw this build, ALF. Great back-story and pics from the past! You're making me all nostalgic for my days living in the Laurentians and the Campbell River/Quadra Island area. Such a fantastic country we live in, isn't it?

Great work so far and looking forward to more.

Cheers, :cheers:

Don

Nice job on removing the extraneous plastic, sir. I found the hardest thing to do was to not destroy the raised panel lines when I removed the light on the vertical tail surface. I was partially successful in that venture.

Looking good so far, my friend.

Mike

I built a wheels up last year. Not easy as you say. My reference suggests your seat might be a tad dark.

As you can see the massage cushion on the ejection seat is after market. :wierdo:

Nice reference, Shawn! I'm jealous... although there's no way SWMBO would allow me to have such an item in the house.

I didn't have any good in-cockpit pics (and was too trusting of the model's painting guide). I'll go over the seats and lighten the grey, and add the yellow bits as well. Thanks for posting the pic.

ALF

Nice progresss ALF

Now Phantom youve got to be kidding me you have a bang seat in your basement??!!! how do you ever come around to buying one of those???

Cheers

Neo

Thanks Neo

Looking forward to having a beer with you on the weekend!

ALF

Liking this build so far. I really should build another Voodoo one of these days.

Thanks Charlie.

Which scheme would you do? Not another 416 job... ? Expand your horizons westward! :thumbsup::-)

ALF

Just saw this build, ALF. Great back-story and pics from the past! You're making me all nostalgic for my days living in the Laurentians and the Campbell River/Quadra Island area. Such a fantastic country we live in, isn't it?

Great work so far and looking forward to more.

Cheers, :cheers:

Don

Thanks Don!

There's a lot of great geography here. Makes one happy to have been lucky enough to be born in this country, as you say.

ALF

Nice job on removing the extraneous plastic, sir. I found the hardest thing to do was to not destroy the raised panel lines when I removed the light on the vertical tail surface. I was partially successful in that venture.

Looking good so far, my friend.

Mike

Mike

I managed to rub some of the vertical tail detail off, but not a lot. Took a lot of patience, which is asking quite a bit of me!

ALF

No pics this morning. Have started repainting the cockpit (seats) and touchups. Looks more like the Voodoo I remember. I forgot to mention that I had a ride in the Navigator's seat in a Voodoo in Bagotville in 1984. Soon I'll tell the story of that flight.

ALF

ALF: Somewhere, some time in the past I met your father and it is amazing that when I saw your lead photo, it triggered my old brain cells. Also in your last photo of the 2 -101s on the break, it was called a "Flat break" overhead the runway. Too many years in the Tower of Babble watching tis routine I guess.

I spent 3 years at Comox..ran the base flying club on the side..working tower and terminal.

Per Ardua Ad Astra

Barney http://www.barneysairforce.com

ALF: Somewhere, some time in the past I met your father and it is amazing that when I saw your lead photo, it triggered my old brain cells. Also in your last photo of the 2 -101s on the break, it was called a "Flat break" overhead the runway. Too many years in the Tower of Babble watching tis routine I guess.

I spent 3 years at Comox..ran the base flying club on the side..working tower and terminal.

Per Ardua Ad Astra

Barney http://www.barneysairforce.com

Barney

Cool! The neat part about getting older is that sometimes the long-term memories persist, while the short-term... err... what point was I trying to make?... anyway...

Glad to hear that you met. I was far too young at the time to have known. You're lucky to have been stationed at Comox. When the Voodoos left, the good postings for fighter pilots became severely limited.

Thanks for your insight!

ALF

First off, fantastic thread. Its kinda what I was hoping to see when I proposed this thread. It makes me want to build a Voodoo too.

That gold Tinge has been on my mind for years and I'm thinking Tamiya smoke But very light ..... also not every panel would have it so you would have NMF on some panels. I guess it was some protective top coat that the RCAF did on the NMF Voodoos...... but some panels might have been replaced and not coated. ???

Before you try I'd have to try on a spare piece of sprue.

My suggestion is to use a oil wash using burnt umber and yellow. Basically apply it with a brush, then remove the excess with a towel... ensuring that that a film of it remains. That's what I did with this 1/72 P-51H.

4B32.jpg

Hopefully that helps.

Thanks Neu

As you started hyping this GB, I already knew I would do this subject. I did it just for you... and also for dear old Dad.

Thanks for the tip about the wash. I just might do it. I bought some Canadian Tire Krylon clear paint, which should seal the Alclad nicely after the decals. I'm driving to Quebec City in a few days to pick up some Alclad. A good opportunity to try out the fuel consumption on the highway for my 2 month-old VW Golf TDI (diesel). Already I'm averaging 5.9 to 6.1 litres per hundred kilometre; I expect to be less than 5 on the 220 km trip to Quebec.

I'll try that kind of wash just before sealing with the clear - on a piece of scrap first, of course!

ALF

More progress.

I repainted the cockpit, with lighter-coloured seats. They look more like the correct colour now. I still have to touch up the belts and the yellow/black hach marks around the ejection handles.

P1150747.jpg

Sorry for the focus on this one. I still haven't figured out how the manual focus works on this camera. I used white plastic primer to spray the interior of the intakes. They will need another coat after this.

P1150748.jpg

This kit comes with a moveable rotating weapons bay. I will glue it in place, with the two missile slots visible, as per the pic of the "flat break" near Comox. This is the interior of the weapons bay, which will be invisible.

P1150750.jpg

The cockpit is now glued in place. The fit isn't too bad, but some minor putty will be required at the back.

P1150751.jpg

I have started on the landing gear. Here is the nose wheel. I like the detail on these parts. My plan is to stand the model on its gear (without tires), paint all of the Alclad (which will turn all of the struts a nice natural metal colour), then hand-paint the matte burnt red colour inside the wells.

P1150752.jpg

ALF

Major component assembly is happening now. With this kit, it means the hard work has begun, trying to avoid some of the poor fit of the parts.

Here is the main wing assembly, dry fitted to the fuselage. The instructions are to glue the two upper wing sections to the single large one-piece wing underside, then glue that assembly to the fuselage. Note the huge gaps at the wing root. When I do WW II fighters, I can usually glue the wing top sections on either side, using the big wide glueing surface as a good guide. Once those upper wing sections are set in place, I then glue the one-piece bottom section in place, leaving very small gaps at the upper-wing to fuselage joints.

Not possible here. There is virtually no guidance in terms of flat glueing surface to make this an option. So, I need to look further.

P1150753.jpg

It's hard to see in this picture, but the situation is made worse by a small amount of downward warping of the wing assembly.

P1150754.jpg

So I decided to use masking tape to bend the wingtips upward, and help the wing top bond to the fuselage sides. One side at a time. I had to double up the tape (sticking two or more layers together), to avoid ripping the masking tape, due to the tension it held while setting.

P1150758.jpg

P1150759.jpg

P1150757.jpg

The warp is not quite as bad now, although still present.

P1150761.jpg

ALF

Here's a close-up of the weapons bay. I've glued it in place, and will fill the gaps. One part always gives me a warm fuzzy feeling when I build a Voodoo or an F-4. It's in the nose wheel well. Note the funny-looking roundish part that holds the doors open, and closes them mechanically when the nose strut folds up. This part is very similar on the Voodoo, Phantom, and my favourite aircraft - the Hornet.

P1150755.jpg

An overall view of the wing assembled to the fuselage, with the three gear struts in place.

P1150762.jpg

One problem with the main landing gear is that there are no clear points to which they should be glued. The gear also sits at a very strange angle - strange, of course, compared to many other jets. But perfectly normal for a Voodoo. Note how much of a forward sweep there is on the struts. Of course, I was a bit worried about it being a tail sitter, but even without the nose section in place, it sits solidly on its forward-swept mains. I was holding off on attaching the nose cone, hoping no weight would be needed. I will probably put a small amount in anyway, just in case, especially given how far back the horizontal stabilizers are (which are not yet attached).

P1150763.jpg

There is now a major amount of scraping and filling to be done before painting. I will install the nose, finish up the cockpit, and glue the canopy (closed) in place before painting.

I won't be doing more tonight, nor tomorrow during the day. It's mid-term break for classes, and we're driving the 200 km to Quebec City to get some Alclad (and other shopping for SWMBO). Hopefully it won't snow - the weather is supposed to be about 5 Celsius tomorrow, which means it will be below freezing in the higher elevations in the park (nature preserve) between here and Quebec.

ALF

Edited by ALF18

Nice job on that miserable wing joint and canyon....er, seam. I did what you did and still ended up using a bit of gap filling CA glue and putty. Hope you're not suffering the same fate.

Keep it up sir.

Mike

Lookin' good Alf! Love the period pictures of the natural metal Voodoos over the Island. We spent four years in Comox and Dad was in 409 from 1981 until they moved to Cool Pool in the summer of '84.

One thing to watch out for on your One-oh-wonder is the landing gear. First, you've got the nose gear bay in backwards- the gear leg sits towards the rear of the a/c and retracts forward. Second, the main gear legs should be more vertical, there was no forward slant.

The first photo here's shows the angle of the main gear legs with out the landing gear doors attached:

http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/luc_colin2/cf-101b_walk_1.htm

The Monogram kit can be a bit of a bear to assemble and the biggest pitfall is the main gear legs - as you mentioned there is next to no placement help in the main gear wells.

Looking forward to seeing some more progress in the future.

Cheers,

Sean

Edited by Sean Bratton

Lookin' good Alf! Love the period pictures of the natural metal Voodoos over the Island. We spent four years in Comox and Dad was in 409 from 1981 until they moved to Cool Pool in the summer of '84.

One thing to watch out for on your One-oh-wonder is the landing gear. First, you've got the nose gear bay in backwards- the gear leg sits towards the rear of the a/c and retracts forward. Second, the main gear legs should be more vertical, there was no forward slant.

The first photo here's shows the angle of the main gear legs with out the landing gear doors attached:

http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/luc_colin2/cf-101b_walk_1.htm

The Monogram kit can be a bit of a bear to assemble and the biggest pitfall is the main gear legs - as you mentioned there is next to no placement help in the main gear wells.

Looking forward to seeing some more progress in the future.

Cheers,

Sean

Sean

Oh, cr*p. You're absolutely right about the gear. Where were you before I got this far?

Just kidding - I'm the one who blew it. Here's what I have done lately. I was going to post this pic and complain about the fit on the kit - because I had to chop off some of the nose bay to make the nose cone fit. Why? Because Bozo the clown (me) put the darn thing in backwards.

P1150767.jpg

P1150768.jpg

Now, I've actually progressed to the point where the gaps are all filled, and I am working on the canopy (painting the yellow portions, in preparation for closing it up and painting the primer coat over the whole kit).

P1150850.jpg

P1150851.jpg

P1150852.jpg

So here's my problem. I am worried that if I rip the nose off and pry the nose gear bay out, I will damage the kit a little (plus it's a lot of work). On the other hand, it looks off, knowing that it's backwards.

What do you guys think I should do? Leave it as-is, or remove the nose and reverse the bay?

As far as the mains go, it's true that they are slanted a bit too much forward. I do put that blame squarely on the kit with its total lack of guidelines and the poor fit of the parts. I would have to rip the legs out, Shave them down in the back, and reglue. I am leaning toward not doing that; the main gear doors will hide most of the slant, and I don't want to weaken the structure by ripping out and reglueing.

ALF

Nice job on that miserable wing joint and canyon....er, seam. I did what you did and still ended up using a bit of gap filling CA glue and putty. Hope you're not suffering the same fate.

Keep it up sir.

Mike

Thanks Mike. Canyon fixed (mostly). Gear problematic. Doh! What's your opinion?

ALF

Can you break the landing gear off the bay and mount it on the other side? Depending on how its mounted (like with smallish pegs) it might not look that bad.

Hmmmmmm

You know, that might just be the solution. A little Crazy Glue to make sure the nose gear is strongly mounted in its new position, and problem largely solved. This will not be a showpiece where I've superdetailed the nose gear bay, so having a backwards wheel well will not be a problem, and externally the nose gear will look like it's in the right place.

Thanks Neu!

I was so excited at the prospect of not totally destroying the nose and wheel well, that I did it right away. Here is the wheel well with the nose gear pried out. It didn't break too badly. If you look closely, you can see the little cup-like locating point at the front of the bay where it was.

P1150853.jpg

Now that I look closely at the drawing, it shows the open-ended part of the gear bay at the front. It is also recessed, which is why the nose normally fits OK without surgery. 20/20 hindsight...

P1150854.jpg

And here are two pictures of how it looks reinstalled. I managed to find a place for it to be glued in place, and I made a bit of a tripod shaped part with the drag brace. It should be fairly strong. It looks a bit similar to the way it should; disaster averted thanks to Neu.

P1150855.jpg

P1150856.jpg

ALF