1/48 CF-101 Voodoo 409 Squadron 1967

OK, folks - it's finally decalled!

First thing I did was repaint the yellow around the canopy - but the job is not quite done to my satisfaction due to the poor coverage of the Tamiya acrylic paint. I need another coat.

I also redid the burner cans area. This included some black, and some Tamiya metallic grey.

P1160039.jpg

I think it looks a bit closer to reality like that. I didn't have a big selection of Alclad colours for that.

The Belcher Bits decals were a bit old. I think I've had them for about 5 years or so. As I tried to trim the silver off around the Canadian flag, I managed to shatter the red.

P1160037.jpg

Here's what it looks like trimmed, on the other side. After the shattering, I stopped trimming, and the silver that remains is hard to see compared to the NMF.

P1160038.jpg

Hmm. Now what... I then spotted the extra tail stripes, that were in the same red colour as the flag. A little surgery, and I had a patch. From close up, slightly noticeable. From further away, not at all.

P1160041.jpg

P1160042.jpg

P1160048.jpg

I think the overall result is pretty good. All I need to do now is clear coat it (I have a rattle can of Krylon semi-gloss clear coat, or maybe I'll do it with the Alclad clear I bought). Some of the older decals definitely need it, so they won't curl away from the finish.

P1160046.jpg

P1160044.jpg

P1160059.jpg

ALF

For the history buffs - here are some final photos of the era.

First off, my Dad's car in front of the 413 Squadron hangar in Bagotville, probably taken in the late 50s when he was on the CF-100.

413Steinharttrophy3.jpg

Now Comox, probably in 1967, but might have been sooner. Foreground are some of the locally-based maritime aircraft, including a Neptune and an Albatross. And what's that taxiing behind? Yes, they are the famous Golden Hawks. I know I was there, but I was too young to really remember them.

Albatrosneptune51.jpg

Here is another classic. Identification, anyone?

Avenger14.jpg

This is why I think it was 1967. The Tutor team taxiing here is the Golden Centennaires, with one spare in Big 2 (school) colours. They celebrated Canada's 100th year of Confederation that summer.

GoldenCentenaires10.jpg

More Golden Hawks - anyone getting inspired? AX365 perhaps? Do you need an excuse to do a Sabre?

GoldenHawk14.jpg

GoldenHawk50.jpg

Here is a CF-104, clean configuration, with its typical black smoke trail. I wonder if Dad was dreaming about flying them, even then? He was one of the first Air Navigators allowed to cross-train (convert) to pilot in 1968, a year or so later. A few years after he took this, he was training on the 104 in Cold Lake, and flew the aircraft in Germany for 5 years in the mid 70s. I think that was the era my father was the happiest of his military career.

Oh, and don't forget to gawk at the Daks and the Albatross in the foreground.

Image23.jpg

ALF

That's an RCN Avenger. I believe Trumpeter makes a nice 1:32 scale version :)/>

Ding! You win, David!

Sorry, there's no prize... except for the satisfaction of knowing you're a bona-fide history buff.

Kind of an ugly beast, isn't it? Or maybe it's just my bias against RCN-type things.

ALF

For the history buffs - here are some final photos of the era.

Now Comox, probably in 1967, but might have been sooner. Foreground are some of the locally-based maritime aircraft, including a Neptune and an Albatross. And what's that taxiing behind? Yes, they are the famous Golden Hawks. I know I was there, but I was too young to really remember them.

More Golden Hawks - anyone getting inspired? AX365 perhaps? Do you need an excuse to do a Sabre?

The Golden Hawk photos are from '62. That year the jets had the position numbers on the tail in blue. In '63 they had GH in red on the tail and we know what happened prior to the '64 season. Nice pics in that series, ALF

Cheers, Tony

Tony

Hey, thanks for the info. Given the date, I suspect they are from Bagotville, not Comox (with the exception of the CF-104, which is definitely at Comox). The pics of the Golden Hawks look very much like Bagotville, with the trees and small mountains (in Quebec they are called mountains, in BC those would be called rolling hills).

The Golden Centennaires pics look like BG as well, but does the date make sense to you, Tony?

ALF