Didn't we discuss this not long ago? It would really be wonderful if they managed to create a real, working warpdrive. Then we could expand our horizons a bit further instead of sending tin cans with wheels to Mars :-)

/E

Check this out....

Scientists say warp drive might be possible

Pardon me while I go work on my NX-01 kit.

Can't believe I'm saying this, but we ought not pursue relativity concept systems at this time, but focus more on the plasma arch propulsion systems. Warp is definitely the future, although distant one, but electrochemical systems are a necessary departure from chemical rockets and their limits into viable exploration and colonization of outer planets and moons in the solar system. Besides, small experimental plasma arch systems already exist and are rigorously tested and improved, while warping is still a physicists' game.

Can't believe I'm saying this, but we ought not pursue relativity concept systems at this time, but focus more on the plasma arch propulsion systems. Warp is definitely the future, although distant one, but electrochemical systems are a necessary departure from chemical rockets and their limits into viable exploration and colonization of outer planets and moons in the solar system. Besides, small experimental plasma arch systems already exist and are rigorously tested and improved, while warping is still a physicists' game.

FFWD to the Ace Cafe, Kepler 22B, sometime in the future: who wants to be the guy who parks his ride round the back...?

Maybe we already have and this is just a temporal loop coming back at us?

Just sayin...

:)

So where are the visitors from the future?

All of this stuff is theoretical anyway. This latest "news" means that an actual warp drive is 99.99999999% unfeasible instead of 100% unfeasible. Notice I didn't say impossible. Call me back when they

actually get some appreciable amount of "exotic mater" in hand with which to build such a spacecraft power source.

John Hairell (tpn18@yahoo.com)

So where are the visitors from the future?

All of this stuff is theoretical anyway. This latest "news" means that an actual warp drive is 99.99999999% unfeasible instead of 100% unfeasible. Notice I didn't say impossible. Call me back when they

actually get some appreciable amount of "exotic mater" in hand with which to build such a spacecraft power source.

John Hairell (tpn18@yahoo.com)

I think you are missing the point.

Star Trek, which is really what this thread is all about, represents an inspiring vision of the future where the world's major problems have been solved, we have survived our technological adolescence, and people from different cultures have pulled together and are "seeking out new life and new civilizations, boldly going, etc." The credibility of this vision rests partly on the credibility of the detailed "universe" that has been created to support it. Down to earth, practical Individuals who are familiar with the difficult physics involved are doubtful of the feasibility of warp drive, transporters, cloaking devices, etc. But there have always been learned skeptics who were trapped by their own paradigms or overly conservative thinking, while people with vision, persistence, and innovation, have found a way to make things happen. Science Fiction often leads the way because of its very nature...by extrapolation of existing or potential technologies. Jules Verne's electric submarine came true. Spacecraft to the moon and other planets are came true. The Razor flip phone was directly inspired by the communicator device on Star Trek. The only way to make a future vision happen is to imagine it first and be inspired by it. The fact that a NASA scientist, at this relatively early stage, is saying, "well, maybe warp drive IS possible after all" is enough to give average fans who are inspired by the Star Trek vision, renewed hope. That is far better than scientists saying "It is complete B.S. It is completely against the laws of physics. It is just a stupid plot device. The only way we are ever going to get anywhere is with generation ships traveling through space for thousands of years."

People alive today will never see warp drive personally, of course. It might not happen for 500-1000 years, and if and when it does, things won't be exactly like the TREK universe. There won't be Klingons, Romulans, or the Borg. There will be other things...other discoveries, and perhaps other menaces.

But I can tell you this, if and when it does come, the first warp drive capable ship, will carry the name Enterprise.

Edited by DutyCat