QF-4 program winding down

While reading an article at Tyndall AFB's website about the new 53d WEG Commander Col. James Vogel, saw this written:

Through the upcoming year, the 53rd WEG, along with its host unit, the 325th Fighter Wing, will be undergoing some major changes, as the base transitions from Air Education and Training Command to Air Combat Command in October.

The 53rd WEG will also be standing down the QF-4 drones and standing up the QF-16 drones.

Not sure what this means for the Heritage Flight QF-4s I think they might fly for one more season but not sure and due to my current location I'm a bit out of the loop about the goings on there.

Edited by RockyController

At Little Rock a few weeks ago, I did ask the question to "Bluto" and "Ichi" in regards to adding the QRF-4C to the Heritage Flight program. Long story short, it wont due to it's very different flying characteristics from the slatted QF-4E.

Good thing I got some photos of the ones at Tyndall a few months ago. I hope some photos are released of the QF-16. Interested to see how it will turn out. Ichi did say that the possibility was there that the A/R system was going to retained in the QF-16. Time will tell.

-Jeff

I didn't realize the F-16 was slated for the Q program. Using old A models I assume?

The QF-16 program has been around for a while. First flight earlier this year. A/B models for now. But there are only so many of those. The oldest C/D models are approaching 30 years old.

Edited by Jennings

The QF-16 program has been around for a while. First flight earlier this year. A/B models for now. But there are only so many of those. The oldest C/D models are approaching 30 years old.

Actually, the first QF-16s are Block 30 C-models. Former NY ANG jets.