New Italeri Sunderland is out

Looking forward to this one. Had the Airfix one in my stash, but just couldn't bring myself to start it...

If you are looking to build a Sunderland Kit, then this should be

fine (though there are issues to be corrected, eg extra port hole starboard

bow side -should be 10 portholes not 9 etc....).

If you want a Mk III/IIIa/V Sunderland, then the Airfix kit is the only game

in town.

You can't build a Mk III OOB with the Italeri kit, there are a ton

of conversions required,if anyone is interested I can list them.

Not all Sunderland marks are created the same.

Not withstanding the Airfix kit with some work can build into a nice model.

Regards

Alan

And in 20 or so years we will be tossing out the "old" Italeri Sunderland kit while praising the all new Tamiya kit. Well when you think about it this is a bit looney isn`t it. I never loose interest in my older kit`s because there is a new and improved version available, and certainly i will get the new version to! I`ve had the "old" Airfix kit sitting idle in my stash for some 20 years but i certainly won`t get wrid of it because it is considered by some to be outdated. No, these ripe old Airfix kit`s seem to get better with age. Please remember how much we have to owe to the likes of Airfix. They really did lay down alot of dirtywork back then, and i haven`t waited all this time just to discard of it! Sure i am very happy with the new Italeri kit and will get mine, but i hold the Airfix kit as my favourite because of it`s sick service history (ruling the shelves of LHS worldwide for decades) I feel we should not completely give up on those old raised model kit`s as they present a big part of our modelling history. So let rip with your fancy panel scriber or raise the bar and let those raised panel lines speak a word or two about our modelling history. Whatever you may desire, the choice is yours!

Note 5 stars for everything, including ease of assembly, although it doesn't appear to have been actually assembled.

Also, were the dorsal guns Lewis guns like in the review, or Vickers K guns?

If you check out this link, it has photos of an assembled model

Italeri Sunderland

The Mk I had the Vickers VGO gun(Vicker Gas Operated) in the Bow turret

so would have carried the same in the dorsal positions, these attached

photo links have some good info

Dorsal postion

Dorsal postion 1

Regards

Alan

If you check out this link, it has photos of an assembled model

Italeri Sunderland

The Mk I had the Vickers VGO gun(Vicker Gas Operated) in the Bow turret

so would have carried the same in the dorsal positions, these attached

photo links have some good info

Dorsal postion

Dorsal postion 1

Regards

Alan

Thanks. The Vickers VGO is another name for the Vickers K gun. So the question becomes, is the review wrong regarding Lewis guns, or is the kit wrong? The assembled kit does look nice (except for perhaps the Matchbox trench-digger panel lines). My main point was questioning the 5-star review in every category for a kit that the reviewer doesn't seem to have taken off the sprues.

My main point was questioning the 5-star review in every category for a kit that the reviewer doesn't seem to have taken off the sprues.

It's not a review. It's a look-see. You can call it whatever you like, but it's *not* a review.

Note 5 stars for everything, including ease of assembly, although it doesn't appear to have been actually assembled.

Also, were the dorsal guns Lewis guns like in the review, or Vickers K guns?

Lewis guns were outdated by the 1930s, so most likely Vickers K which also began to be replaced by 1940 (which is why gobs were available to the LRDG/SAS for their Jeeps). The Vickers K also used a drum, and in 1/72 would look similar to the Lewis so the reviewer is probably just confused.

Edited by Aaronw

Thanks. The Vickers VGO is another name for the Vickers K gun. So the question becomes, is the review wrong regarding Lewis guns, or is the kit wrong? The assembled kit does look nice (except for perhaps the Matchbox trench-digger panel lines). My main point was questioning the 5-star review in every category for a kit that the reviewer doesn't seem to have taken off the sprues.

I have a copy of the Mk I Sunderland manual, and under the

"Armament" section: point 122 it states at that the bow turret

and amidships (Starboard/Port)is a Vicker's .303in type K gun....

So I'm guessing the person on Cybermodeller got it confused.

It should be of note (and down to modellers personal taste)that early on

in the war, gun barrels were covered in protective sheath when the aircraft

were on the water.

Sunderland mk I guns

Later Guns were removed and stored in the on board Gun/Cloak

room to avoid water damage to the guns.

4f930884.jpg

So if you have an issue with guns being wrong, it would not be wrong if you

left them out of the turrets.....

Regards

Alan

Hard to say for sure from those photos, but the panel lines look pretty wide and mushy to me... Although these days that doesn't seem to bother a lot of people.

Tut tut Jennings, by the terms of your second post on this thread, how can you say that if you've not held one of these in your hand? <_<

Steve

:D, There'll probably be a few sold Downunder as both the RAAF and RNZAF had a lot of wartime and post war experience with Sunderlands, although the RNZAF had more post war experience with them than the RAAF. There were a number of civil Sandringhams used in Australia after the war. A mate of mine's father in law was at Pembroke Dock converting onto Sunderland Mk.1s when war was declared and he once told me they were not a bad aircraft to fly; and very effective.

:cheers:,

Ross.

I'm picking that for most machines with a Kiwi connection the Airfix kit will be the only option & even then with some mods. The postwar RNZAF machines were all Mk Vs while 490sqn operated Mk IIIs in West Africa later in the war. There will I'd imagine be individual machines flown by Kiwis ealrly in the war that this new kit would be appropriate for.

Steve.

I'm picking that for most machines with a Kiwi connection the Airfix kit will be the only option & even then with some mods. The postwar RNZAF machines were all Mk Vs while 490sqn operated Mk IIIs in West Africa later in the war. There will I'd imagine be individual machines flown by Kiwis ealrly in the war that this new kit would be appropriate for.

Steve.

In the Italeri Kit, there are markings for 204 Squadron who

flew Mk I's in West Africa. A number of kiwi's crewed those,

so there is a representation for us there.

Regards

Alan

Is it just me, or does this look more like a model of the Titanic than an aircraft? Big trenches outlined with rivets? Has anyone affiliated with this kit ever looked at an actual aircraft?

it_1302_title.jpg

I have as yet not got my hands on the kit, so cannot make

a comment on dimensions etc.

The Actual Aircraft is quite big in real life especially

out of water.

Queenieforwardfuselagecopy.jpg

Apparently (I'm going by the Cybermodeller Reviewers comments here)

a series of period photos are enclosed and some photos from Hendon.

If that is the case, Italeri got some things right and other things

SO wrong (especially the panel lines!!!).

http://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/kits/it/kit_it_1302.shtml

If a modeller wants to build the Kit OOB and all closed up, should

build into a nice kit.

If a modeller wants to build a more accurate model, then there are

issues requiring fixing - especially the Interior The lower section

is mythical.

Personally myself, I would ditch the Italeri Interior and build my

own.

32f265ec.jpg

Regards

Alan

Edited by LDSModeller