Canadian Historical Aircraft Association Open House

Hi All,

This is a public service announcement regarding CH2A's Open House on September 29th, 2012 from 10AM-6PM. We are located in the old #7 Elementary Flying Training School hangar at the Windsor Airport. Many of you probably know that we have been restoring Lancaster FM212 since it was brought down off its pedestal in Jackson Park in 2005. Along with FM212, the hanger also houses two De Havilland Canada DHC-1 Chipmunks, a 1938 Fleet Fawn, a 1941 Stearman, a Canadair CT-133 Shooting Star and our other restoration project, a De Havilland Mosquito.

One of only two flying Lancaster bombers in the world, FM213, the "Mynarski" Lanc will be arriving from the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum in Hamilton just after lunch and will be on display until 6PM.

So, if you are planning to be in the Windsor area, next weekend, come on out and treat yourself to the sound of four Merlin engines roaring by overhead as the Lancaster arrives. Admission is free!

Cheers,

Don

Hi Don: I would love to be there but 3000 miles seperates us. I grew up in Windsor and learned to fly at the Windsor Flying Club in 1952. It was the start of a love affair that has lasted 60 years

Here's a pic of a club aircraft that I first flew and soloed in July '52..in 1:32 scale

Barney Dunlevy

FleetCanuck017.jpg

Hi Don: I would love to be there but 3000 miles seperates us. I grew up in Windsor and learned to fly at the Windsor Flying Club in 1952. It was the start of a love affair that has lasted 60 years

Here's a pic of a club aircraft that I first flew and soloed in July '52..in 1:32 scale

Barney Dunlevy

FleetCanuck017.jpg

That's awesome, Barney. Our hangar is right next to the WFC (as you probably already know). :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Don

The best they can hope for is to be able to taxi her. From what I understand, the fuselage is too old to be certified airworthy.

BD

The fuselage is one of Glyn Powell's new-builds from New Zealand.

The original aircraft (B.35 TA661/CF-HMR) crashed and burned in 1956 and the remains were recovered some time later (around 1996?).

I was told the owner of the remains being used as the basis for restoration doesn't want it to fly.

Wish I could make it down there for Saturday. Good luck guys!

:cheers:

Fantastic weather and a great turnout made yesterday's YQG Open House a great success! A few pictures for your viewing pleasure....

First to arrive was the Canadian Warplane Heritage PBY...

8039674975_ae7d01dccc_b.jpg

...followed not long afterwards by the Mynarski Lanc, FM213. Here's s ahort video of her arrival pass..

Lanc Flyby

And a longer one of her taxiing in, arriving directly in front of two vets, Sam on the left, a Lancaster rear gunner, and Jim, on the right, who flew 35 missions as a pilot.

Lanc Arrival

Some static shots....

8039642571_25ce78b5d0_b.jpg

8039653920_ec11be7b29_b.jpg

8039665519_b66eeba7ae_b.jpg

The farewell flyover. Crank your speakers up for this!!

Merlin's forever!

Edited by Big Daddy