Great Wall Hobby 1/48 MiG-29 all new tooled

Hi guys!

Being silent for quite a while here after marriage and now it's time to start a new topic.

And this is what we have been busy with since early this year, as many of you may have informed, a totally new tooled Fulcrum kit.

It's the longest and most complicated project for the maker, and all staff have made so much for it.

They all deserve the highest respect, as far as I know.

It was me, who suggested this project to the CEO of GWH, and after a long time researching/drawing/tons of correction,

finally it has turn out a real touchable kit from just computer graphics, thanks to the hightech molding skills nowadays.

And I'd especially sincerely appreciate my Russian friend, Mr. Alexander Drannikov a.k.a. "Skylark" for his great help during kit development.

Thank you so much, Alex.

It cannot be so close to good without your strict check again and again.

No more trust to CAD files after being some hard long waiting by some teaser company?

Me too! :woot.gif:

So let me show you some pictures of the very FIRST test shot of the kit.

And please remember, these are only test shot sprues and more adjustment and details will be added in the next days.

So if there're gaps or short injection on the parts, don't get too serious. They'll all be fixed when arriving in your hands. :rolleyes:

Edited by haneto

Just like most serious modellers, the accuracy is alaways the most important to a model kit.

And that's also what we have made biggest effort during development.

Yes, it's far from perfect, but at least to me, it looks like a Fulcrum enough, isn't it? :thumbsup:

Here I give you some outline shots of the assembled kit.

01_zps82ca988e.jpg

02_zps62c17a82.jpg

03_zps0abb669a.jpg

04_zps32ad2622.jpg

Close shots of the front fuselage.

To me, the nose area is the "face" of an aircraft and windshield/canopy is the "eyes" of it.

So they are so important that if those things got ruined, the whole model is meaningless indeed.

Check out our Fulcrum! :coolio:

06_zps50f6170b.jpg

05_zps1fec39e7.jpg

07_zpsd0eff0a0.jpg

08_zps17101be9.jpg

Looks awesome, unbelievable. I can see it is the early vers not the one on published boxart. Complex shape of nose front fuse and canopy is great. Haneto you are always full of nice surprises.

What a great news! Now there is hope for new MiG-25/31 kits...

Cheers,

P

To me, the nose area is the "face" of an aircraft and windshield/canopy is the "eyes" of it.

So they are so important that if those things got ruined, the whole model is meaningless indeed.

Amen ! You know how I've shared this view for years and years.

Now I will wait for all the experts to wander in and tell us all the things that are wrong with it.

It's likely there will be very few.

- people who know what they are talking about have been involved in the development

- errors during CAD design (probably made by a Chinese designer who was no Fulcrum expert or even a modeler) must have been promptly corrected since there was no communication problem between the designer and Yufei

Is there as possibility that the kit will be downscaled Yufei (I'll buy the 1/48 kit anyway to encourage GWH) ? are other Soviet subjects considered for the future (like a Su-17/22 for example) ?

Edited by Laurent

Damn that looks proper! I haven't bothered buying kits for some time for lack of any modern jets that actually look like the subjects there supposed to look like. Think I might have to fork over some hard earned $ for this one. :banana:

Edited by joeltc

Hi Yufei: my, you're on fire this year!

I think this is going to be massive; like Andzin I'm hoping for 9.13 and UB variants too. I'm sure that we'd all like to thank you for your input to this important project, it offers us a lot of confidence in the product! :thumbsup:

Yesterday, when CAD pictures was shown i thought to myself "Since Yufei knew about this project for so long, i surely hope they have used his skills in it! :)"

Hi guys!

Being silent for quite a while here after marriage and now it's time to start a new topic.

And this is what we have been busy with since early this year, as many of you may have informed, a totally new tooled Fulcrum kit.

It's the longest and most complicated project for the maker, and all staff have made so much for it.

They all deserve the highest respect, as far as I know.

It was me, who suggested this project to the CEO of GWH, and after a long time researching/drawing/tons of correction,

finally it has turn out a real touchable kit from just computer graphics, thanks to the hightech molding skills nowadays.

First off, congratulations with marriage Yufei! :thumbsup:

And congrats on completing the project. Some people whine that CAD is worse design tool versus "how they did it in the old days", but if it is used properly like in this case and others, it can give unprecedented level of detail and accuracy. May i ask how many months CAD project lasted? Also send congratulation and "Thank you!" from us modelers to the CAD staff and CEO! :thumbsup:

Yes, it's far from perfect, but at least to me, it looks like a Fulcrum enough, isn't it? :thumbsup:

Here I give you some outline shots of the assembled kit.

Are you kidding me?!?! It looks bloody perfect! Well done, well done. I see one error, but out of respect i won't bother mentioning it, and besides not a single Fulcrum kit before got it correct anyway... And it isn't big deal anyway. :P

Is there plans to make other versions? I agree with Andzin, what we "need" is an UB, 9.13 and SMT (9.19). Judging by breakdown of the kit SMT version would actually be the "easiest" to project! It requires "only" a new top fuselage and a new cockpit and some small antennas. Possibly wheels. UB for instance would need new top and bottom, and 9.13 new top and wingtips.

It's the longest and most complicated project for the maker, and all staff have made so much for it. They all deserve the highest respect, as far as I know.

And they sure deserve my money!

Until yesterday I could have bet that we would never have gotten a really improved MiG-29 kit in any scale. And by the way: I'm very happy with the 9.12 choice! :thumbsup:

Best wishes and please let us know we can grab one by Christmas :santa:

Cheers!

Niki

I love the front shoot!!! However the canopy of the test shot still looks a bit off to me. :(

I mean no disrespect, I totally agree with Yunfei that the windshield/canopy is important, it always bothers me a lot when a kit’s canopy looks off. I noticed from the CAD that the slope of the wind shield could be too great, and now I have compared the test shot photos with many photos. In a direct side view, the slop of the wind shield is indeed about 5° too great. Also the rear of the canopy looks strange to me, slightly too bulged?

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v335/delide/?action=view&current=Unbenannt3_zps15d1ffeb.jpg

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v335/delide/?action=view&current=Unbenannt_zps1f7ac88b.jpg

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v335/delide/?action=view&current=Unbenannt2_zpse6001003.jpg

Sorry to be such a pain, I'm really concerned Probably it's better to point it out now before it's too late?

Hi guys!

Yes - the honeymoon is over - time to get back to more serious stuff........ :whistle::thumbsup:

Although it isn't 'my' scale - nor my favourite aircraft - it nevertheless is a very welcome addition to the ranks of Russian jet models.

It also looks great - and no doubt with your input and attention to detail, it will be as accurate as it can be. :worship:

May I make a small suggestion?? - tell me to shut up if you have already got it covered.

You should include a plain cover for the louvres in the top of the LERX.

The louvres are only open when the engine is running - when the Fulcrum is 'at rest' the louvres are closed.

As 99% of modellers who build this kit will display it with the canopy open and 'on the ramp' at rest, they will need to fill in those louvres to be accurate - hence the suggestion to include a 'blank' with louvre doors inscribed.

Just my six penn'orth.....

Welcome back.

Ken

You should include a plain cover for the louvres in the top of the LERX.

The louvres are only open when the engine is running - when the Fulcrum is 'at rest' the louvres are closed.

As 99% of modellers who build this kit will display it with the canopy open and 'on the ramp' at rest, they will need to fill in those louvres to be accurate - hence the suggestion to include a 'blank' with louvre doors inscribed.

Hi Ken,

I have raised the same point with a long list of others to Yufei and as it can be seen on the overhead photo this is a separate part and you have a choice if you want to have it with "running engine" or closed. Just as well as many other options in the kit, which are great.

Best regards

Gabor

I love the front shoot!!! However the canopy of the test shot still looks a bit off to me. :(

I mean no disrespect, I totally agree with Yunfei that the windshield/canopy is important, it always bothers me a lot when a kit's canopy looks off. I noticed from the CAD that the slope of the wind shield could be too great, and now I have compared the test shot photos with many photos. In a direct side view, the slop of the wind shield is indeed about 5° too great. Also the rear of the canopy looks strange to me, slightly too bulged?

http://smg.photobuck...zps15d1ffeb.jpg

http://smg.photobuck...zps1f7ac88b.jpg

http://smg.photobuck...zpse6001003.jpg

Sorry to be such a pain, I'm really concerned Probably it's better to point it out now before it's too late?

Hi delide.

Pretty harsh for a first post on ARC. It seems to me that the demonstration you're trying to do isn't too convincing.

- http://smg.photobuck...zps15d1ffeb.jpg isn't quite sharp and pitch may not be the same

- http://smg.photobuck...zps1f7ac88b.jpg isn't too great: different pitch, optical distorsion (depth of field ?)

- http://smg.photobuck...zpse6001003.jpg is very poor: look how the front of the intake looks like... very different roll

Believe me I know how it's difficult finding the proper photograph to demonstrate a point (shape and proportion accuracy are important to me). Yaw, pitch, roll of the subject, optical distortions need to match. Perhaps you could outline the subjects and overlay them ? The windshield angle may be slightly off but I doubt that the photos you kindly provide can show that the angle is 5° off.

Edited by Laurent