Great Wall Hobby 1/48 MiG-29 all new tooled

I went ahead and took the plunge too. Especially after reading the reviews here on what a nice kit it is. I went ahead and grabbed the IDF TA-4J that was the mystery deal plus an additional 30% off.

I look forward to building this, the question is whether to start this Mig-29, Academy F-4B, or Trumpeter Mig-23...

Rodney

You guys! I just ordered my second one.

I just want to say that, despite all the discussions about the accuracy, price, options etc. surrounding all these new kits, I am genuinely happy to see the immense energy and interest going into this hobby. I can say the speed with which I am able to build nowadays is so far behind the rate at which new tooled models are designed and marketed. Given all the technological alternatives one could be drawn to for pastime, I thought what I see today would never happen, but I am happy to be proven wrong. I simply love this.

That said, I've never built a Russian fighter. I have been eying Eduard's MiG-21 or a while, but this Fulcrum now is a game changer for me. For those who are experts in these subjects, can you briefly compare the two kits in terms of: (1) Part fit, (2) Ease of build, (3) Surface detail quality? I am not wedded to any particular aircraft, or era, but I would like to add a Russian fighter to my collection. Academy Su-27 and MiG-29 (and their derivatives) are not an option for me.

Also, I am not aware of this, but is there anyone working on a new tool Su-27? These inquiries all pertain to 1/48.

Edited by Janissary

Tally Ho, Mig-29 afficionados!

GWH has just confirmed the release of a new tool 9-13 within the first quarter of 2013.

Worth mentioning is, that the stock of 9-12s is sold out from the makers stock and it may be a while until a new run will be shot. (Depending on how badly the market howls for it, that is!) So get yours while you can!

Cheers,

Guido

GWH has just confirmed the release of a new tool 9-13 within the first quarter of 2013.

Kewl !

Worth mentioning is, that the stock of 9-12s is sold out from the makers stock

Ok but how many kits were produced ?

Hi Laurent,

No manufacturer will ever tell you this! The only exception would be a limited run series like the Eduard MiG-29 and Su-27 where a given number of kits were supplied by the original maker (have seen the boxes at Eduard HQ last summer).

Best regards

Gabor

Kewl !

I don't really know, but as far as I know a Injection mould run is seldom less than 3000 pcs. For small comapny that's a lot. I have heard from an official of Revell say that they do usually about 30 to 35,000 pieces, which is quite large but explains that the relative cost per piece is a whole lot less enableing them to make far more competitive prices.

Guido

If GWH thinks they can sell more 9-12 kits, all they need to do is order more boxes, instructions, decals, and squeeze some more plastic. Trust me when I tell you, given the price of that kind of stuff in China, it's not a huge investment. Everything already exists, so all they have to do is push the 'print' button. Don't be bamboozled into paying big money for a "rare" GWH 9-12 kit.

If GWH thinks they can sell more 9-12 kits, all they need to do is order more boxes, instructions, decals, and squeeze some more plastic. Trust me when I tell you, given the price of that kind of stuff in China, it's not a huge investment. Everything already exists, so all they have to do is push the 'print' button. Don't be bamboozled into paying big money for a "rare" GWH 9-12 kit.

True- I have worked in and with China for about 1 1/2 decades, the cost from a western perspective is quite low, however GWH has yet to become a big player. For a small company it is always a problem to have any money tied down. So the 9-12 is a nice surprise, having sold that. I do not expect it to become of any collectors value. And one should be warned to pay any dime more than the recommended retail price. I am only saying that they first run is old out and may be some time until it is run anew.

I am quite happy to hear it is selling well, having had to hear the European wholesalers complain about this particular choice of kit. Obviously the ordering has gone far better than expected. :banana:

Guido

Ah. What do they want ?

Who are the end users of the injection moulded plastic kits? Is it the wholesalers or us modelers? My last info was that it is the modelers, or am I wrong?

Remember that this kit was born out of an idea by a modeler and not the wholesalers!

Best regards

Gabor

Remember that this kit was born out of an idea by a modeler and not the wholesalers!

Why are you bouncing on me Gabor ?!? I want to know that the wholesalers consider to be the expectations of the end customers. I'm curious because I'm not sure that the end customers and wholesalers think the same.

Edited by Laurent

I'm curious because I'm not sure that the end customers and wholesalers think the same.

This is absolutely right! They are traders and not users in most cases, they have very different priorities. There are trends, fashions in this hobby too and when something new and out of place comes along they are not sure if it fits into the accepted norms and into their own sale plans. Remember this kit was born not as a result of long and very deep research, marketing plan although I am sure GWH did do some after hearing what Haneto had to say.

But you are right we should ask the wholesalers on this.

. . . is there anybody out there . . .

Best regards

Gabor

P.s.I think you misunderstood me, there is no "bouncing" on you. I am just surprised with the wholesalers attitude.

I guess any USAF fighter will sell more in the West than any Russian aircraft :D/>

I think the curiosity and novelty factor sold tens of thousands (if not more) of Hasegawa Mig-25 kits in the West in the late 1970's. That kit was not available in any form in the East! Yee, I know a lot has changed since then but still the interest and especially interest in first rate quality Russian kits is still there in the West. But I am speaking from the East, so . . .

Best regards

Gabor

I guess any USAF fighter will sell more in the West than any Russian aircraft :D/>

Since its Guido who said that European wholesalers weren't happy with GWH's choice perhaps he can do more than guess.

Do you have the info Guido ?

Oh, the complaint was not being made for the want of other things in particular. The complaint was that Russian subjects don't sell so well on the central European market according to their experience with the fleet of Russian Trumpeter kits. The importers are usually -(I am not saying that ALL are!)- not bent on the same issues we modellers are. Naturally the wholesalers are looking at sales figures first and foremost. If there is a bad kit that sells well, they'll supply it without remorse. Indeed the Mig-29 was born on the recommendation of a modeller, but the wholesalers are the folks that import these to our countries to supply it to the LHS and internet traders. They are the ones that make the kit available in our markets. The wohlesalers are looking at the needs and wants of their particular market and make a judgement about the possible turnover they can make. If they have made bad experiences in the past with Russian subjects supplied by Academy or Trumpeter, it is quite understandable that they are not enthusiastic for a similar subject at a higher price, even if it was from GWH.

In the end ot is good to see that the importers going in favour of the new 9-12 have obviously had the better share of the business. That'll teach some to be more open about the possibility of Quality prevailing on the market.

Cheers,

Guido

Fortunately now we live in a very different and open world and if I as a modeler like something there is no need anymore for direct retailers or importers, either from the manufacturer or one or the other big company can get it through the net from the opposite end of the world. There are almost no retailers left in Hungary for instance, people get what they want other ways. Yee, I know it is a problem for the once big importers and wholesalers but then again I dont really care about the steam train manufacturers demise, they had their place in history but time has moved on.

I think we got a bit far from the GWH kit. I know that a lot of people are looking forward to this MiG-29 kit and the ones to follow it . . .

Best regards

Gabor

OK, I ordered mine. X-Mas present from the soon-to-be Mrs. Fuji, aka Twiggy. Now which markings for it? I like esoteric small air forces. Top of my list are Iranian and Cuban in that order because of the unique paint schemes. Now bring on the 9-13 and the UB.

Edited by Fuji