Great Wall Hobby 1/48 MiG-29 all new tooled

Most 9.12's can't even carry the wing tanks.

I would not be so sure of that! On paper our 9-12's can't carry R-60's and the P-60-ID pylons were not included with them. BUT still we used them regularly on live missile firing exercises! The 9-12 wing has the plumbing for the fuel tanks, it is possible that to some users they were not supplied as part of the package but this dose not meant that they are not capable to carry them. Still it is very rare to see 9-12's with them.

Best regards

Gabor

Depends when the 9.12 was made.

As i said, most can't. Later in series they got updated, but originally they couldn't. Germans updated theirs themselves (with MiG assistance) to carry them.

They aren't exactly plain vanilla 9-12s.

Exactly. They are more like 9.12S and one of the features of it are the fuel tanks..

I would not be so sure of that! On paper our 9-12's can't carry R-60's and the P-60-ID pylons were not included with them. BUT still we used them regularly on live missile firing exercises!

It's not really the same thing. R-60M missiles (as the type probably predating the R-73 on the MiG-29 during development testing) are probably supported by the weapon control system by default so no modifications are required which is not really the case with the wing fuel tanks. I don't have any references handy to check exactly what modifications are required for the wing tanks - obviously, the main question is whether the wings already contain the plumbing or just provide the installation space for it.

Edited by ijozic

Hi guys

Thanks again for all of your inputs.

I'm sorry that it seems they forgot the power throttle in the cockpit.

(well not so difficult to build one right? :woot.gif: my joke.)

The instruction sheet of 9-13 wil have much more detailed informations especailly paintings.

I would suggest the maker to upload PDF version for everyone to download.

Please feel free to leave any comments!

Thanks.

Yufei

Seems I haven't made any comments on this subject yet. Actually, I haven't even followed this thread very carefully - if at all! Excuse me for that. I guess it's the 1/48 scale that just doesn't turn me on - again, at all! I had the same feeling for the recent 1/48 Eduard MiG-21 kits. I mean they looked exquisite but since I just don't build in 1/48... And that's it! :D/> (I do have two Soviet WWII tanks from HB in 1/48 though... Oh the blashemy!)

Great to see such detailing though! I really like the crispness of the moldings and the amount and the delicate accuracy of the riveting. Those engines look great too. Great job!

I'm eager to see one build by you, Yufei!

I have great respect for Sprue brothers service too, but their customer support is a let down. I recieved dry unsigned answer that importer is informed ending with this sentence regarding wing warp and my comment that this issue was mentioned on ARC by others:

"FYI - neither us or the importer have had any reports of this and I was not able to find any post about this either".

Unpolite....? And I spent money on their site.

P

Got my replacement. No warp.

Now the question is, where to order one more to avoid new warp problem...

P

Got my replacement. No warp.

Now the question is, where to order one more to avoid new warp problem...

P

I purchased mine from Squadron when they had their sale and there was no warp (that I could tell anyway).

Rob

The Ukrainian one is a 9-13.

This is no problem, since the GWH 9-13 is around the corner and should be released soon. The Ukrainian new camo is called the "modellers killer", it is a nightmare to do! How about it in 144 scale???? :D :D :D

Best regards

Gabor

Just shame GWH forgot about the second big 9.13 specific thing, other than the spine. Wingtips are thicker as they contain ECM. I did mention it very early in the thread but i guess it was buried underneath all the "I want XX!" stuff... Oh well to late to change it in the molds apparently, but builder is free to fix it himself with sprue + putty.

Just shame GWH forgot about the second big 9.13 specific thing, other than the spine. Wingtips are thicker as they contain ECM. I did mention it very early in the thread but i guess it was buried underneath all the "I want XX!" stuff... Oh well to late to change it in the molds apparently, but builder is free to fix it himself with sprue + putty.

What evidence do you have for that? Correct me if I'm wrong but I though the bulge was mainly evident on the underside of the 9-13's wingtip. The picture that Vodnik shows of the 9-13 test shot shows different wingtip detail to the 9-12 I'm currently building, and you can only see the topside in those pics so you can't tell what's been done to the underside. Seems your single reason for thinking they have ignored it is that you pointed it out as a difference and Haneto hasn't acknowledged you. In fact, looking at this head on of the upper side of a Ukrainian 9-13:-

9_13_wingtip.jpg

Makes me think that the available conversion kits such as this:-

9-23_conversion.PNG

Have actually exaggerated the contour on the upper surface at least, and led us to think it;s more pronounced than it really is. Looking around at any number of photos of 9-13's online it's difficult to see the thickening in all but the very closest of them from an ideal angle, so saying that GWH have missed this detail from one shot not ideally placed to see contours is a stretch at this point, especially when it's clearly evident that the actual detail is different between the two models.

Edited by Dmanton300

The outboard profile changes (which it looks like they got right), but the underside is "thicker" too.

That said, given where the part stops on the 9-12, It looks like they intentionally included the changed part of the windtip in the upper fuselage, so that they could change only the one part.

Which other countries than Russia and Ukraine use Mig-29 9-13? Sudan?

Most ex-Soviet Air Forces use or have used the 9-13, Belarus, Turkmenistan, Azerbaijan, Moldova etc.. And some have been exported outside of the CIS to Sudan, North Korea, Algeria, Peru from the top of my head.

Seems your single reason for thinking they have ignored it is that you pointed it out as a difference and Haneto hasn't acknowledged you.

I am sorry, but why this tone exactly? I talked with Haneto through PM about it after CAD pictures of 9.13 were shown, and he did confirm that detail was missed. Yes, the bulge is on the underside, and it is rather large:

http://data.primeportal.net/hangar/bill_spidle/mig-29/005-mig-29_leftunderwing.jpg

Worse shot but one can kinda see it:

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/photo/viewcat.php?id=9454&cid=294&min=60&orderby=dateA&show=12

I never said Haneto ignored the information, did i? I simply said it was buried...

Like this?...

P1150501_zpsa9aa91d6.jpg

Hi Vodnik

I am quite sure that a with good pictures and a little milliput this can be easily fixed.

Just finished my external tanks. As I said earlier , I didn't correct the cross section as my tanks were already glued.

I hope to do better with my 9-13. I have Evergreen tube of the right diameter, so next time i'll use them from start.

Longing for this 9-13.

Madcop :D/> DSC03145_zpse7634d89.jpgDSC03153_zps2e3ccd29.jpgDSC03156_zpseeeb20fa.jpg