Great Wall Hobby 1/48 MiG-29 all new tooled

Who remembers the 1970s? Why, when I was a lad, we were LUCKY to get one new kit a year. And my old dad would beat us about the 'ead and shoulders with it until we bled, then we had to assemble it in a DITCH in the RAIN!

Oh aye, but ya tell that to kids today and they won't believe ya.

:D/>/>/> :)/>/>/> :D/>/>/> :)/>/>/> :D/>/>/> :)/>/>/> :D/>/>/> :)/>/>/> :D/>/>/>

This is a good one. See that you have grown up on good old Monthy school.

I would add:

What they have given to us???

-- Accurate outline to the kit.

Yee, but apart from that, what they have given to us??? Nothing.

--Fine surface details.

OK, OK, but apart from that, what they have given to us???

--Good fit of parts.

Yee, but apart from that, what they have given to us???

--Innovative manufacture of the air to air missiles.

OK, but apart from that, what they have given to us??? Nothing!!!!!!!!

. . .

Best regards

Gabor :D/>/>/> :D/>/>/> :D/>/>/> :D/>/>/>

Edited by ya-gabor

I think some of this talk will discourage manufacturers from making corrections.

I for one have a great deal of respect for GWH for making the corrections they have.

If every manufacturer were required to provide parts for inaccuracies there would be a lot less new kits on the market.

Better solution..buy a razor saw..learn what you use one of them for..get some sheet styrene..if you think droptank looks bung insert said styrene into cuts made with your newly found wisdom with your newly purchased saw into said droptanks.

Kapow..not only do you now have unbung droptalks in your own eyes because half he team cant see what your whining about but you have learnt something we have been doing for 30 years.

Enjoy your new found skills!

Hi Dehowie

Done !

Madcop :rolleyes:/>

DSC03187_zpsaa979477.jpg

DSC03189_zps85b648ce.jpg

DSC03199_zpscdd40cf2.jpg

Bottom line. Who's got access to GWH brass? Does GWH have plans yet? Will they (a) do nothing, (b-) offer the parts for sale--and through what channels--or © send out parts for free? Arguing among us probably means nothing, but has GWH made a decision?

Edited by dedalus

Hmmm, with all the errors mentioned above, the Academy Fulcrum sounds pretty good at this point since it can be had for under $25, with the rest of the money goes to accurate aftermarket parts, such as nose cone and armament...

Still the best starting point for a 1:48 MiG-29 by a couple orders of magnitude. We seem to lose track of these things. Everything is an absolute. Because the drop tanks are bad, let's throw the rest of the kit out. SERIOUSLY?

Yes, Jennings, I remember the 70s fondly. I remember the FIRST MiG-29 kits that I ever got - including the big ole Revell beast, I was damn happy to have them, as at least I had a MiG-29. The Hasegawa and Fujimi kits came out in 1/72, both were laughably wrong - but I still built them! And don't get me started on those Revell boxings of the Ace kits - that Su-27 was a freakin' characature. But I built it! It was the only thing available.

In the case of the GWH kit (and so many others), we have an embarassment of riches. It is seriously one of the nicest kits that I've ever seen tooled. Yes, there are errors, the dorp tanks are underscale in every dimension - but you know what? I don't CARE, as I hadn't planned on putting them on my model. The pylons are a little short too, but I'm not sure that it makes that big a difference on the finished model. And if they bother me that much, I'll just get a set of replacements from Eduard.

But the rest of the airframe, and the layout of the kit are SUPERB. We have a habit of throwin' the baby out with the bath water here (and elsewhere around the modeling internet). We get wrapped around the axle about issues that are so unbelievably minor and then get indignant when the companies don't pay attention.

Yes, I know many of you feel as though you are the "police" keeping the model companies in line, but ultimately they are businesses, making business decisions. There are compromises made in EVERY kit released. There are ALL kinds of details that I could point out to be missing in the GWH kit, but frankly, I don't care, as either I can fix them myself, or source them from the aftermarket. It does not diminish the kit in the SLIGHTEST in my eyes that these things are missing!

What's even funnier is that GWH took the time to vet out much of this kit right in front of our eyes before release. There are companies that flat ignore input, and have for years. GWH corrected several problems with one P-61 to the next, and maybe they will correct some of the issues with this kit in future releases, but I'm certainly not going to judge them for not, as they are MINOR in context with the rest of the kit.

Secondly, have you ever gotten a room full of experts to agree on anything? If GWH, Trumpy or any of them came out here looking for an expert on a given subject, they'd find plenty, but then how do they choose who's input is right? Often times the experts pass judgement using a given set of drawings. Who's to say that particular set of drawings is correct?

I mean seriously folks, we need to get a grip here (he says shouting at a brick wall).....

Hmmm, with all the errors mentioned above, the Academy Fulcrum sounds pretty good at this point since it can be had for under $25, with the rest of the money goes to accurate aftermarket parts, such as nose cone and armament...

i paid my Academy kits 11$ each...got 9 of them! and now that i got the GWH one, i feel that those 11$ where kind of thrown by the window... there's no area where the Academy's kit stand the comparison with GWH's one...

i have gathered nearly all the aftermarket items available for the Academy's kit, and this cost me way more than 3 GWH MiG-29 kits... (OK i've got enough to improve more than one kit... but still...)

and even with all the improvement i'll add... i'm not sure the results would be better...

i'll sure get more than 2 GWH MiG-29 9-13 when they'll be available... and surely build them in time... but i'm not so sure anymore of what i'll do with the Academy's ones... i might use some AM to improve GWH's if it fits... but not much i think...

if i could turn back time, i'll sure trade all of my Academy's kit (all 9) and all of those AM stuff (nearly or more than 300$) and buy 3 GWH kits and the couples of AM required to make it perfect (resin seats , pylons, missiles(?) ...maybe cans...)

we have an embarassment of riches....

I mean seriously folks, we need to get a grip here (he says shouting at a brick wall).....

Ain't that the truth? None of these young bucks remember the 1970s.

Bottom line. Who's got access to GWH brass? Does GWH have plans yet? Will they (a) do nothing, (b-) offer the parts for sale--and through what channels--or © send out parts for free? Arguing among us probably means nothing, but has GWH made a decision?

You bought the kit as-is. If they modified parts they don't need to send you new parts. They are not the only company to modify parts.

I just received my copy of this kit from Squadron with their 30% off sale. All I can say is that those who are complaining about the external tanks have really lost perspective on the "hobby". These 4 parts out of 206+ are insignificant in the whole scheme of things. So GWH made a mistake with the tanks..... big deal, get over it.

GWH has given us a Mig-29 kit that we could only dream about and is significantly advanced over the Academy offering. All I can see here are three options for this "mistake". 1. Modify the tanks yourself as per "madcop". 2. wait for someone else to release a resin aftermarket replacement. 3. stop complaining and build your kit without these 'horribly grotesque abominations of plastic' which comprise less than 2% of the plastic in this otherwise great kit. Oh, there's a 4th option. Just pretend it's a Hasegawa kit with no weapons or other stores included...... problem solved. Although this means you'd loose the beautiful R-27R and R-73R missiles in this kit.

As far as I'm concerned GWH has no obligation to replace these parts even if they decide to retool the molds for the 9-13 release. AFAIK they didn't offer any new parts for the updates they did with the release of their P-61A "retooled" kit and there were some pretty significant changes.

Just my opinion!

Cheers,

John

Superwork and well done!

Thank you Dehowie.

Now just have to restore some superb GWH surface details that were lost while working on the pylons.

I am aware these mods are not 100% correct especialy on the tanks as the cross section was not modified.

I plan to scratch build the next ones with Evergreen 11mmm diam.tube for the "straight section " and by feeding the front and rear parts with milliput.( just a project for now ).To modify the cross sections of the pylons is not required as it shouldn't be perceptible.

Now I just feel a little bit guilty for the mess I brought here...

For CF104

I totally agree with you BUT

I just want to point out that I never COMPLAINED , but just politely ,respectfully and cautiously NOTICED something I called a "little mishap" I could live with .

I just thought that it could HELP ( if I were right !) the maker , Yufei and the community. My intention was certainly not to start a

war ...and to force GWH to provide us with replacement parts.( AFAIC they shouldn't ! )

Please read my posts.

I just wanted to bring these mods for my own pleasure. I perfectly understand that each modeler has his own conception of the hobby

and that they are 1000000 different reasons to start modeling...and this certainly apply also for the kit makers.

Where I totally agree with you is that the people at GWH brought us , poor plastic gluer , a little gem ! and I thank them for that.

I am EAGERLY waiting for the 9-13 , but I can't promise you to keep my mouth shut if I feel like adding a comment on the product that

could help getting GWH better and better cause I just think these guys deserve it .

No, I don't think I lost my perspective on the hobby.

Madcop ( Still happy ) :)/>/>

You bought the kit as-is. If they modified parts they don't need to send you new parts. They are not the only company to modify parts.

I repeat. Arguing among us probably means nothing It's time we simply ask for a response from the only voice that really matters--GWH. So I asked who on this forum is closest to the company.

I repeat. Arguing among us probably means nothing It's time we simply ask for a response from the only voice that really matters--GWH. So I asked who on this forum is closest to the company.

Why is the gun being held to GWHs head more than any other manufacturer? Tamiya retooled the wings on their Meteor. Tamiya retooled the gear on their Dora.

I think the demands you are placing on GWH will only discourage them in the future of correcting or modifying their kits. Most kits don't get altered, just be happy that this one company is listening.

Look at Spencer Polllards build of this kit at Hyperscale and Britmodeler. He declares the kit as the best aircraft kit ever.

For CF104

I totally agree with you BUT

I just want to point out that I never COMPLAINED , but just politely ,respectfully and cautiously NOTICED something I called a "little mishap" I could live with .

I just thought that it could HELP ( if I were right !) the maker , Yufei and the community. My intention was certainly not to start a

war ...and to force GWH to provide us with replacement parts.( AFAIC they shouldn't ! )

Please read my posts.

I just wanted to bring these mods for my own pleasure. I perfectly understand that each modeler has his own conception of the hobby

and that they are 1000000 different reasons to start modeling...and this certainly apply also for the kit makers.

Where I totally agree with you is that the people at GWH brought us , poor plastic gluer , a little gem ! and I thank them for that.

I am EAGERLY waiting for the 9-13 , but I can't promise you to keep my mouth shut if I feel like adding a comment on the product that

could help getting GWH better and better cause I just think these guys deserve it .

No, I don't think I lost my perspective on the hobby.

Madcop ( Still happy ) :)/>/>/>/>

Madcop

I never did say you complained in my post and I did read all of yours. That's why I put the reference in that you at least took the initiative and modified the tanks to suit your desire for accuracy. My post was directed at those who believe GWH owes them the world if they retool the tanks etc.. for the 9-13 kit. Not to those that point out a mistake in the kit. I would prefer to know errors in a kit before I decide to purchase as well.

Cheers,

John

Maybe the people that keep complaining, even though we got a kit lightyears ahead in the quality and accuracy department, should watch this video.

Are we people now with all this state of the art and tech computers, smartphones, TVs, cars, model kits happier than a person in the 50's?

Edited by Inquisitor

Madcop

I never did say you complained in my post and I did read all of yours. That's why I put the reference in that you at least took the initiative and modified the tanks to suit your desire for accuracy. My post was directed at those who believe GWH owes them the world if they retool the tanks etc.. for the 9-13 kit. Not to those that point out a mistake in the kit. I would prefer to know errors in a kit before I decide to purchase as well.

Cheers,

John

O.K. John ,

Sorry for having misunderstood you.

Will you please accept my apologies .

Madcop. :)/>

O.K. John ,

Sorry for having misunderstood you.

Will you please accept my apologies .

Madcop. :)/>/>

I don't think anyone involved with this thread thought you had said anything wrong in this thread.

There is another poster who thinks GWH owes them his next 15 children though.

Maybe the people that keep complaining, even though we got a kit lightyears ahead in the quality and accuracy department, should watch this video.

Are we people now with all this state of the art and tech computers, smartphones, TVs, cars, model kits happier than a person in the 50's?

Who are the people who keep complaining? Me? I've given a few reasons why GWH could offer free replacements. Is that complaining? I've also acknowledged the reasons why GWH would not offer free replacements. If you think I've complained, you need to look up the definition of the word complain. I also am not sure I've seen anyone else complain, either. At least not about the kit or about GWH. Some people's responses to others' comments could be construed as complaining. Now, the day people at forums stop complaining about other people at the forum, that will in deed be a new day.

Mike Todd

Edited by dedalus

I don't expect GWH to give us new pylons or fuel tanks for free, but I do hope they fix them and include them on the 9-13 version or subsequent releases.

I also hope they are still able to fix the wingtips since they are bulkier than the 9-12 version as Berkut pointed out.

Juan

I don't expect GWH to give us new pylons or fuel tanks for free, but I do hope they fix them and include them on the 9-13 version or subsequent releases.

I also hope they are still able to fix the wingtips since they are bulkier than the 9-12 version as Berkut pointed out.

Juan

Have we seen the undersides of the kit parts yet? The last pic, that compared the -12 and -13 versions, were from the top and I couldn't tell. Were there any other pics?