Great Wall Hobby 1/48 MiG-29 all new tooled

Hi All ;

Mig-29, Mig-29, Mig-29

That's enough, I'm gonna puke now.

Thanks.

M.No

Sadly for you, you'll need a really big bucket for all the puking that you'll do for a long time...

because, it's gonna be MiG-29, MiG-29, MiG-29, MiG-29, MiG-29

Mig-29 A, MiG-29 9-13, we hope also a MiG-29 SMT 9-19... and every other MiG-29 GWH will wanted to do!!!

...by the way, you're in a MiG-29 thread...

and no, it ain't enough!

hope you like puking!!!

Here is a bit more on the revised engine covers (parts C17 and C16). The pair of small intakes was all the way on the front edge of the panel, which was wrong. Also in profile the intake lip has a slight undercut and not exactly at a right angle to the engine covers surface. The solution was to remove the intakes completely and only leave the base panel for them and provide the intakes as separate new parts.

enginebay1ang_zps5f5193a2.jpg

enginebay4ang_zpsca439c64.jpg

enginebay2ang_zps59994eaa.jpg

enginebay3ang_zps92253810.jpg

Of course I have seen that this mistake has been shown in some of the first kit built and the solution was to simply cut back the front of the intake and drill a hole in it. But if one can provide it in the kit the right way then it should be corrected and so did GWH.

Best regards

Gabor

I think Kasatka has asked the question that was on all of our minds. How do we upgrade the kits we already have? Not critical, but I'd sure pay a few bucks to have the latest parts.

And will the 9-12 Late version kit be upgraded going forward? Will there be a way to differentiate?

Not the first time any of these questions have been asked.... As this has happend on kits before.

I think Kasatka has asked the question that was on all of our minds. How do we upgrade the kits we already have? Not critical, but I'd sure pay a few bucks to have the latest parts.

And will the 9-12 Late version kit be upgraded going forward? Will there be a way to differentiate?

Not the first time any of these questions have been asked.... As this has happend on kits before.

Hey there

Like all of you I have the "9-12" box already.

I really like the GWH approach that is a testimony of their seriousness. Of course I'd like to have the possibility to "upgrade" my edition of the kit , but if not possible , I think that, by looking at GABOR pictures that the work involved to bring it up to "9-13" standard is not beyond average modelling skill. Plastic sheet , a fine saw , a good file and some fine Milliput will easily do the job. And remember that ( as Gabor stated )all this work will only be known and seen by the one who did it !. That is what I like in modelling ! :D/>

Thanks again GABOR for this "keen " eye of you ! GABOR= FALCONEYE

Madcop :)/>

Here is a bit more on the revised engine covers (parts C17 and C16). The pair of small intakes was all the way on the front edge of the panel, which was wrong. Also in profile the intake lip has a slight undercut and not exactly at a right angle to the engine covers surface. The solution was to remove the intakes completely and only leave the base panel for them and provide the intakes as separate new parts.

enginebay1ang_zps5f5193a2.jpg

enginebay4ang_zpsca439c64.jpg

enginebay2ang_zps59994eaa.jpg

enginebay3ang_zps92253810.jpg

Of course I have seen that this mistake has been shown in some of the first kit built and the solution was to simply cut back the front of the intake and drill a hole in it. But if one can provide it in the kit the right way then it should be corrected and so did GWH.

Best regards

Gabor

Hi! I browsed through the last few pages of this post and saw pictures of changes/upgrades made for the 9-13 version; I didn't read word for word about the long pages of text but just wanted to know if the changes made on the 9-13 were meant to correct the shortcomings of 9-12 (for the 9-12 itself) or were they really meant for (improvement/upgrade)9-13 series?

Edited by flybywire

Hi! I browsed through the last few pages of this post and saw pictures of changes/upgrades made for the 9-13 version; I didn't read word for word about the long pages of text but just wanted to know if the changes made on the 9-13 were meant to correct the shortcomings of 9-12 (for the 9-12 itself) or were they really meant for (improvement/upgrade)9-13 series?

The changes are corrections to mistakes made on the original tooling. These are not the differences between 9-12 and 9-13 versions! So lets hope they will be included when the "early version 9-12" will be released, which is a very likely future release, since we have seen parts for it on the first test shoots of the kit.

Best regards

Gabor

The changes are corrections to mistakes made on the original tooling. These are not the differences between 9-12 and 9-13 versions! So lets hope they will be included when the "early version 9-12" will be released, which is a very likely future release, since we have seen parts for it on the first test shoots of the kit.

Best regards

Gabor

I'd like to clarify it just a little further. Since I already have the MiG-29 (9.12) kit #4811, and since you said it yourself that - The changes are corrections to mistakes made on the original tooling. These are not the differences between 9-12 and 9-13 versions! so are you saying that there will be a better version of GWH 1/48 MiG-29 (9.12)that will come out, aside from the upcoming 9.13 kit #4813? If that is correct, then I should now dispose off my #4811 kit rather than stocking one that is outright erroneous just a few month out from the release date. You also mentioned something about - "early version 9-12" are you saying that the present parts that are in kit #4811 is correct for a "non-early version" of 9-12?

Hi Yufei , Hi Gabor , Hi everybody

Considering the above different posts ...

1-I understand that the "9-13" models that are now dispatched to the dealers are provided with "revised" parts .Can you please confirm that ?

2-I understand ( my own conclusion ) that the "9-13" models that are now dispatched to the dealers are not provided with new external tanks and pylons. Can you confirm that ?

3-If not ( ext. tanks and pylons ), can you tell us whether these are going to be corrected for a later model , or that this problem will definitely not be taken into consideration ?

Thanks a lot for your help into the developement of such a beautifull kit .

Madcop :)/>

I'd like to clarify it just a little further. Since I already have the MiG-29 (9.12) kit #4811, and since you said it yourself that - The changes are corrections to mistakes made on the original tooling. These are not the differences between 9-12 and 9-13 versions! so are you saying that there will be a better version of GWH 1/48 MiG-29 (9.12)that will come out, aside from the upcoming 9.13 kit #4813? If that is correct, then I should now dispose off my #4811 kit rather than stocking one that is outright erroneous just a few month out from the release date. You also mentioned something about - "early version 9-12" are you saying that the present parts that are in kit #4811 is correct for a "non-early version" of 9-12?

Why dispose of the L4811??? Build it!!!!!! :) Most of the changes are not visible on the finished model (if you have the PTB 1520 under its belly, which was a standard feature of the Fulcrum anyway)! Even then it is not something so noticeable.

Please have a look at the first test shoots of the plastic parts somewhere last October or November from Yufei, there you had the extra surfaces under the stabilizers which are a feature of the "early 9-12" version just as early gun blast shield (included in L4811), the flare dispensers are designed as a separate part from the vertical surfaces so with just a small forward section part you will be able to do an early 9-12 which originally did not have the flare dispensers. I dont think you need a very colourful imagination to make the assumption that sooner or later there should be an "early 9-12" kit on the market. Why would the company make the tools for that additional extra surfaces, the gun blast shield, why would they name the current kit as "late 9-12" if not intending to do an early version too later on. Yes the market would be a bit smaller for them since only the Russian AF had the early 9-12's but there were some very colourful examples there!!! The kit maker would be foolish not to use the already made tooling to have one more version in the kit stores. Just a new box, new decals and a few new parts. . .

Best regards

Gabor

Hi Yufei , Hi Gabor , Hi everybody

Considering the above different posts ...

1-I understand that the "9-13" models that are now dispatched to the dealers are provided with "revised" parts .Can you please confirm that ?

2-I understand ( my own conclusion ) that the "9-13" models that are now dispatched to the dealers are not provided with new external tanks and pylons. Can you confirm that ?

3-If not ( ext. tanks and pylons ), can you tell us whether these are going to be corrected for a later model , or that this problem will definitely not be taken into consideration ?

Thanks a lot for your help into the developement of such a beautifull kit .

Madcop :)/>/>

The question should be addressed to Yufei, if someone he is the one who knows the answers! I am only a model builder with an eye . . .

Best regards

Gabor

The question should be addressed to Yufei, if someone he is the one who knows the answers! I am only a model builder with an eye . . .

Best regards

Gabor

Hi Gabor

Yes ,Falconeye , you've got an eye and a very sharp one !

I don't want to PM Yufei, I don't want to disturb him from his new daddy's tasks !

I just supposed you knew and that you were walking somewhere in the Gods'secret garden ! :lol:/>

Just wanted to know before pre ordering :crying:/>

Best regards

Madcop :cheers:/>

Why dispose of the L4811??? Build it!!!!!! :)/>/>/>/>/>/> Most of the changes are not visible on the finished model (if you have the PTB 1520 under its belly, which was a standard feature of the Fulcrum anyway)! Even then it is not something so noticeable.

Please have a look at the first test shoots of the plastic parts somewhere last October or November from Yufei, there you had the extra surfaces under the stabilizers which are a feature of the "early 9-12" version just as early gun blast shield (included in L4811), the flare dispensers are designed as a separate part from the vertical surfaces so with just a small forward section part you will be able to do an early 9-12 which originally did not have the flare dispensers. I dont think you need a very colourful imagination to make the assumption that sooner or later there should be an "early 9-12" kit on the market. Why would the company make the tools for that additional extra surfaces, the gun blast shield, why would they name the current kit as "late 9-12" if not intending to do an early version too later on. Yes the market would be a bit smaller for them since only the Russian AF had the early 9-12's but there were some very colourful examples there!!! The kit maker would be foolish not to use the already made tooling to have one more version in the kit stores. Just a new box, new decals and a few new parts. . .

Best regards

Gabor

Before I go any further, thanks for the word of encouragement! :D/>/> After reading your response several times, I think I'm slowly grasping your thought. Are you trying to tell me that the changes are being made to suit the "early version" of the Fulcrum? And if I'm just going to build the "late type" as stated in kit #4811, the parts provided there are "just adequate and correct"? Did I still miss something? Furthermore, by looking again at the pictures, if you say that the changes are corrections to mistakes made on the original tooling, why was the comparative picture labeled already as 9.13, shouldn't it be still 9.12??

Edited by flybywire

Before I go any further, thanks for the word of encouragement! :D/> After reading your response several times, I think I'm slowly grasping your thought. Are you trying to tell me that the changes are being made to suit the "early version" of the Fulcrum? And if I'm just going to build the "late type" as stated in kit #4811, the parts provided there are "just adequate and correct"? Did I still miss something?

The original kit L4811 had some mistakes on it. As a continuous development process GWH has made the corrections to the tooling, these parts are common to both 9-12 and 9-13. I have only show it on the photos as a comparison of the original first issue of the kit in comparison with the just released 9-13 version. I hope this is clear enough. The late version and the early version (if there is ever going to be one) should have the same main parts.

The main difference between 9-12 late and early version is in small details, while the bigger parts like the fuselage are the same. On the other hand the 9-13 kit has a brand new upper fuselage part to represent the "big spine" as well as new wing tips and other details.

So there is absolutely no problem in using the 4811 kit for 9-12 aircraft. I would even say with the present kit it would not be a problem to produce an early version from it at home. Just make the small fins under the tail from sheet polystyrene (not much of a chalange, is it) add the early type of gun blast (included in the kit), shave off the vortex generators from the side of the pitot (most early aircraft did not have them) make a new RSBN antenna under the nose (a bit more tricky), cut off the rudder extension plates (make the trailing edge in line with the trailing edge of the fin) and there you have it. Basic modeling.

I like the kit as it is, of course there are tons of details that you can add if you open up all the panels but that is to everyones own taste.

Best regards

Gabor

The original kit L4811 had some mistakes on it. As a continuous development process GWH has made the corrections to the tooling, these parts are common to both 9-12 and 9-13. I have only show it on the photos as a comparison of the original first issue of the kit in comparison with the just released 9-13 version. I hope this is clear enough. The late version and the early version (if there is ever going to be one) should have the same main parts.

The main difference between 9-12 late and early version is in small details, while the bigger parts like the fuselage are the same. On the other hand the 9-13 kit has a brand new upper fuselage part to represent the "big spine" as well as new wing tips and other details.

So there is absolutely no problem in using the 4811 kit for 9-12 aircraft. I would even say with the present kit it would not be a problem to produce an early version from it at home. Just make the small fins under the tail from sheet polystyrene (not much of a chalange, is it) add the early type of gun blast (included in the kit), shave off the vortex generators from the side of the pitot (most early aircraft did not have them) make a new RSBN antenna under the nose (a bit more tricky), cut off the rudder extension plates (make the trailing edge in line with the trailing edge of the fin) and there you have it. Basic modeling.

I like the kit as it is, of course there are tons of details that you can add if you open up all the panels but that is to everyones own taste.

Best regards

Gabor

Many thanks Gabor! Thanks for taking time to explain to me the things I'd like to know! Everything is crystal clear now! :) And thanks also for taking time to explain what are the basic things to do to be able to produce an early version straight from the present kit! :)

Hi Everyone,

First post after lurking here for some time (and late in the thread as well), but I have a question to ask: I'm building the kit but can't locate the throttle on the left wall of the cockpit. Can anyone tell me which part number it is? (I wrote to the company, and received a couple of not-so-clear replies.) I want to buy the 9-13 version, but might change my mind if the throttle is also missing. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi Everyone,

First post after lurking here for some time (and late in the thread as well), but I have a question to ask: I'm building the kit but can't locate the throttle on the left wall of the cockpit. Can anyone tell me which part number it is? (I wrote to the company, and received a couple of not-so-clear replies.) I want to buy the 9-13 version, but might change my mind if the throttle is also missing. Any help would be appreciated.

Few pages back Yufei had the information that the throttle is indeed missing from the 9-12 kit. Very simple mistake, it was somehow left off from the side wall. A design mistake. It is included in the 9-13 kit.

Best regards

Gabor

P.s.I have replaced on my kit the throttle with a piece of stretched sprue.

Really? Someone would not buy such a great kit just because there is no throttle?

Speechless.....

M

It seems to be pretty standard around here lately. Great kits that happen to be missing a minor part or have an RAF roundel that is .0001 mm out of proportion and people are crying like it's the end of the world.

Really? Someone would not buy such a great kit just because there is no throttle?

Speechless.....

M

Yes, it might be great to you, but it is not to me. After all it is my money. It is simply my preference, especially after a few E-mail messages back and forth with someone at the company who emphatically states that "there is no mistake in our kit". And just out of curiosity, how many LA811 kits did you buy so far? And how many 9-13 kit are you planning to get? I bought 6 so far, and already placed pre-order with Dragon for another 6 of the 9-13 kits. Is that enough support for the company for you?

Edited by Pedinaut

Few pages back Yufei had the information that the throttle is indeed missing from the 9-12 kit. Very simple mistake, it was somehow left off from the side wall. A design mistake. It is included in the 9-13 kit.

Best regards

Gabor

P.s.I have replaced on my kit the throttle with a piece of stretched sprue.

I must have missed it while skimming through the thread (Couldn't believe it grew from 5 pages (the first time I visited), to 36 in a span of a few months). Thank you for the info on the 9-13 kit, that is great news!

(I did the same on mine) :)/>/>