Great Wall Hobby 1/48 MiG-29 all new tooled

Sorry for my absence guys.

Lots of business trip including a Osaka visit for 2 weeks. ;)

As I have mentioned before, SMT has already been decided but UB still needs more market demand feedbacks.

As for the wrong packaging of 9-12 early ones, I have been informed that all correct parts had been dilivered to dealers worldwide.

If you check carefully of the instruction sheet, you will find the illustrations(upper view) and part arrangement graph are also wrong(9-13 upper part).

So I personally guess the packaging mistake was caused by the instruction sheets, or whatever...

I was just too busy at that moment and did not have time to check the instruction sheets, really feel sorry for that.

Well, you can see their staff are still too inexperienced to be knowledged enough, which is a difficult problem needs time and money(salary) to improve.

For those who is gonna buy the kit, I would strongly recommend you to confirm the part problem with your dealer before purchasing.

And those who have bought the wrongly packaged kits, though it's not my ability to decide, I would personally suggest you to contact with the dealer before directly contacing the manufactor.

All in all, I hope the extra cost they need to cover the problem this time, would be a good lesson for them to remember.

Cheers,

Yufei

For me, the best looking Mig-29 is the Indian Mig-29K. I don't care for the small nose of UB.

Sadly the MiG-29Kub, is a totally different beast (kinda like Hornet and SuperHornet) ...would require all-new-completely-different tooling-from-A-to-Z...

but like you, could easily live without the UB variant!

Personally SMT is THE version for me, but regardless of me wanting or not wanting UB; UB is very important version. If economy allows to tool it, it would be shame not to.

Yufei, did you forward my note regarding the SMT fueltanks i sent a while ago?

• 1 month later...

The story of the Great Wall Hobby MiG-29 is not finished and I would say it is only starting now. It is a fascinating comparison to the approach by manufacturers to things they produce and the afterlife of their products.

I don’t remember seeing a “box opening” type of thread on this version, but I would also like to add a few comments, see the pros and cons for this kit as well as try to help in finding the way around all the early MiG-29’s, believe me there were a lot of things that one should be aware of.

early9121_zps753f5686.jpg

Here is the ultimate Fulcrum kit from Great Wall Hobby, the “9-12 early type”. Now we have a trio of kits covering all the early MiG-29 versions (apart from the two seater trainer) and the last kit is as far as it can go with the current press tools. Most of the mistakes have been corrected in the last year on the molding tools and this is as far as a kit can be authentic, of course as no kit is 100% here you will find some points to argue about, still the effort on the part of the manufacturer should be appreciated as they have listened to comments from around the world and did as much as they could to correct what was wrong in the first place.

What you get in the “early type” is basically all the sprues which will give you a chance to complete any of the “original” 9-12 versions of the MiG-29. Since there is a separate sprue for conversion to the “early type” all the rest is there for your choice to make the 9-12’s. But you also get some extras so there is a bit wider possibilities than there was in the original “9-12 late type” kit box, so you will be better off with this one. But more on this later on.

The box is as we have come to know from G.W.H, with a nice painting of an early 9-12 with full armament.

early9122_zps84c135d5.jpg

Inside we find a prominent white box which contains the top fuselage mould. This is a lesson learned from the first kit where there were some warp issues due to the packing.

early9123_zpsf06fdca4.jpg

early9124_zps97b5afbc.jpg

I know there were some mix ups when the “9-12 early type” was first released with 9-13 fuselage tops mistakenly packed into the box but as far as I know the error was corrected too and replacement fuselage top was sent out to distributors. (So those lucky ones now have a spare 9-13 fuselage top.) But now the right top part is included in the box.

early9125_zps42eea95d.jpg

Digging further down in the box you will find the canopy transparencies packed separately into a plastic bag but not only that, it is also put into a white soft protective bag too to give it some extra security from scratches on the long way from China. Another special feature of the G.W.H kits is now the separate packing for the missiles in a vac formed protector. Of course you are getting the new technology, one piece missiles.

early9126_zpsaa1dcbe9.jpg

More soon.

Best regards

Gabor

Edited by ya-gabor

Hi Gabor.

Are in this box "9.12 early type" chaff / flare dispensers BVP-30-26M too?

Hi Lubos,

The "9-12 early type" kit has all the parts that were in the "9-12 late type" including the chaff flare dispensers. They are only an option in this kit. Some of the early 9-12's also had flare dispenser fitted later in their carrier, so it is perfectly in place in this kit too.

The intention is to write about the numerous differences and versions of the early type 9-12's. Believe me it is a fascinating, there were so many versions of the early aircraft.

Best regards

Gabor

Hi Lubos,

The "9-12 early type" kit has all the parts that were in the "9-12 late type" including the chaff flare dispensers. They are only an option in this kit. Some of the early 9-12's also had flare dispenser fitted later in their carrier, so it is perfectly in place in this kit too.

The intention is to write about the numerous differences and versions of the early type 9-12's. Believe me it is a fascinating, there were so many versions of the early aircraft.

Best regards

Gabor

Hi Gabor, in that case, is it possible to do a late type 9-12 from the early type kit without any scratch-building?

Mark

Hi Gabor, in that case, is it possible to do a late type 9-12 from the early type kit without any scratch-building?

Mark

Yes Mark, you can, but what with mudguard? i think that in early and late are different ( on early like on prototypes?) Gabor can correct me :-)

Edited by mario krijan

Mark

Hi Mark,

Yepp it is possible to build 9-12 late without scratching anything on it and you are getting two mud guards too. About the later one I have to add that there were two mudguards, one used on 9-12's even today and the guard used on the prototype, this was only on the prototype! The first production aircraft had a different nosegear well cover, it had three main parts and one of them was in front of the nosewheels. More on this later. It was used only on very few and very early production 9-12's.

Best regards

Gabor

I am very happy with my GWH MiG-29, 9-12 Late Type, I bought recently from Hannants.

It came with all the upgrades in the molds. Superb kit!

Now I hope the same treatment to their F-15B/D and subsequent versions.

GWH could very well release the 1/48 General Dynamics YF-16 too.

SV

Still doing the box opening and taking account of what is inside the Great Wall Hobby MiG-29 9-12 early type. The box is fairly sturdy and takes care of the sprues inside it during the transport of the kit. Having extracted the spues I have found at the bottom of the box the instruction booklet, the decal sheets, the etched brass sheet and a reproduction of the box top artwork.

early9127_zpsb86389fb.jpg

It’s a nice touch from G.W.H, the artwork is packed into a separate holder for protection and would look nice for collectors.

early9128_zps563f412b.jpg

There are two sheets of decals included with the kit, one is for the common stencils while the other one is specifically for the early 9-12 machines in Soviet AF service. They are printed well, although I find the colours a little bit too “strong”. Most aircraft illustrated on the decal sheet have been in service for some time and were weathered, loosing the brightness of the colours on the markings. But it will be up to the modeler to do some weathering of the decals. One thing I have noticed on the decal is the “drop of blood” on the “agressorsky” marking of 1521th unit. The drop of blood is at the end of the wasp’s sting. The photos that I have seen (and fortunately there are several in colour) it is plain to see that the drop was black and not red. Have to add that I have not seen photos of aircraft no. 01 and it could be that on this particular airframe it was red.

Another point is that aircraft from 968 IAP in Germany had the orange 07 aircraft number with thin blue outline on the intake, while on the decal sheet the blue outline is missing. This is interesting as there are colour photos of the actual aircraft showing the blue outline. Now, the Russian Begemote decal company gives the same orange number without the blue outline but also has red drop of blood on the sting. I have been in contact with Begemote and they said that the orange numbers were repainted several times on the given aircraft and the one with the blue outline was just one version in the history of aircraft “07”. Also the small “07” number on the dielectric panel of the fin top should be white and not red on the decal sheet of the kit.

early91211_zps1aa002af.jpg

A small etched brass sheet gives us parts, harness for the ejection seat, antennas, intake doors, mesh after the upper intakes and rear view mirrors for the canopy. They look nice, as an extra it would have been good to see photoetched RSBN antenna too but at the same time I admit that the plastic RSBN looks very nice just as they are.

early91212_zps637efbe0.jpg

Now the sprues and what makes this kit different from the previous examples. Here is for the start sprue I with engine parts and the auxiliary underwing fuel tanks. G.W.H had admitted that there was a mistake in the original release and retooled this sprue. A new fuel tank with correct scale dimensions was made. One would have to add that these fuel tanks were almost never used on operational aircraft, mainly for ferry flights only. While the centerline fuel tank has almost grown onto the Fulcrums and you would fairly rarely see them without it. G.W.H owners felt that this issue is important enough to invest in and redo the press forms. There are some small corrections to the engine parts too.

early9129_zpsb9252844.jpg

More soon

Best regards

Gabor

MIG-29AGERMANYJG73Steinhoff2908EXTERNALTANKS2003hpim2125_zpsa11a07fc.jpg

MIG-29AGERMANYJG73Steinhoff2908EXTERNALTANKS2003hpim2081_zps68a2e101.jpg

Hi Gabor

Just to thank you and Yufei Mao for all your time dedicated to this wonderfull kit.

Thanks to G.W.H to listen to us modellers , and thanks to GWH for their continuous effort and investment to bring us a top quality product.

Just to mention also that all the pylons where also corrected and that they are now at the good scale ( as for the tanks.)

I have two pictures of a German 9-12 with the external tanks fitted.

There is a wire running from the tip of the tank to the pylon. What could be the use of it ?

Thanks

Madcop :)/>

P.S. Just wish G.W.H good luck with their F-15 serie.

Edited by madcop
  • 3 months later...

MIG-29AGERMANYJG73Steinhoff2908EXTERNALTANKS2003hpim2125_zpsa11a07fc.jpg

I have two pictures of a German 9-12 with the external tanks fitted.

There is a wire running from the tip of the tank to the pylon. What could be the use of it ?

Hi Madcop,

I have not been here for some time, so just seen the photo of the pylon with the PTB that you have been talking about. The thing is that since Hungary is so small we have not used the wing external tanks (PTB in Russian) only the centreline tank which was a standard feature of the aircraft. So since we have not used the external tanks I have never had a chance to have a look at it or photograph it. The ones I have from the Paris show back from late 80's and early 90's and even then it (PTB) was only in static on the ground.

Hope that someone will give a clue what that line is for, but I can see that it is going from that small thing (L shaped valve of some sort) on top of the tank in front of the pilon. It is not going to the nose of the tank.

With all the work on the KH MiG-25 update sets I had little time to work on my MiG-29 kits. Sorry, but hope to do some work after the Easter brake. Speaking of which all the best wishes to everyone for Easter :) :D :) :D :)

Best regards

Gabor

• 2 months later...