Great Wall Hobby 1/48 MiG-29 all new tooled

15 hours ago, The Dude said:

My 9-13 i built had the little bump too by the center pylon. fortunately I didn't install that pylon so it was no problem for me. I've built 3 of these kits and loved them all. The first one i had fit issues with the intakes as well but the next 2 I assembled the intakes and rear engine cover as a separate assembly then attached it to the lower fuselage and only had to fill the inner part by the external fuel tank. It is much easier that way IMHO. As for the GWH kit it's the best mig-29 out there in any scale  for accuracy as far as I am concerned. Therefor I picked up a few over time...

mig%20pix_zpszapozg4p.jpg

wow 10 fulcrums in your stash, 1 smt included!

and great camo for your trumpy bird....

Edited by Alpagueur

23 hours ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

You sir are a Tamiya 1/32 F-16 Thunderbirds Hoarder!! As such, I honor your collection......

Lol thanks! I bought those as they were starting to disappear from stock years ago. They are such awesome kits to build!

23 hours ago, ViperZero said:

WOW! That seems you have a awesome Fulcrums herd, and more other birds in your stash. :jaw-dropping:

Yeah the Fulcrum is my favorite Russian fighter jet followed by the flanker family. The fulcrum may not have the best combat record but its aesthetically pleasing IMO.

22 hours ago, ijozic said:

So, they've messed up the shapes somewhat, but not disturbingly so (like e.g. the Revell kit), got it, thanks. Though I'm more into the late Cold War era myself than the later stuff, I need to get an SMT as that huge hump gives it a pretty cool appearance, IMHO. Perhaps even more so on a 1/32 kit, so given a good eBay deal, I might consider the Trumpy one instead.

What about the R-27 missiles, pylons and the exhausts? IIRC, there were some serious issues with those on the Su-27 kit, but I have the MiG-29M kit somewhere and IIRC the pylons and R-27 missiles looked more or less pretty good to me (certainly not requiring replacement by Zactoman's parts). Thus, I'd expect they reused them on the A/S/SMT kits, but I've read some complaints regarding the missiles and that the exhausts are a step down from those provided with the 29M.

I didn't really study the 1/32 kits, but looking at your photo of the Fulcrum A, I do get an impression that the exhausts might be undersized in diameter?

The missiles and pylons are alright, they look like what they are supposed to. The zacto goodies are much better. I didn't pick up the M version so the exhaust on it i couldn't comment on. The exhaust nozzles are very passable but again the Zacto ones are better. I built my A model OOTB and i'd give the Trumpy kit about a 7 out of 10 overall.  The GWH mig-29 gets a 9.5 outta 10 from me

22 hours ago, Alpagueur said:

wow 10 fulcrums in your stash, 1 smt included!

and great camo for your trumpy bird....

Thanks it was an easy build. :cheers: I actually have about 20ish mig-29s in 1/48 and 1/32. 

21 hours ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

And he is Debt Free and Lovin' it!!  What a great life!

Indeed. Dave Ramsey is the bomb diggity! Well not 100% completely debt free more like 90%. lol. My monthly bills are pretty small and that is why I can afford my Plastic addiction.  I drive a 2004 suburban with 230K miles its been paid off for years. No hot rods, no RV or camper, no beach house, no fancy new car or latest $1k cell phone, older house with a very manageable payment,  etc. Hardly any stress and the Jones' envy me lol. I used to drag race cars many years ago and THAT is an expensive (expletive?) hobby.  I got outta that and I learned my lesson on from there...

Edited by The Dude
21 hours ago, The Dude said:

The missiles and pylons are alright, they look like what they are supposed to. The zacto goodies are much better. I didn't pick up the M version so the exhaust on it i couldn't comment on. The exhaust nozzles are very passable but again the Zacto ones are better. I built my A model OOTB and i'd give the Trumpy kit about a 7 out of 10 overall.  The GWH mig-29 gets a 9.5 outta 10 from me

Thanks for the reply. Do you perhaps have some shot of the Trumpy MiG from the back showing the exhausts? There's not that many builds of the Trumpy kit out there.

5 hours ago, ijozic said:

Thanks for the reply. Do you perhaps have some shot of the Trumpy MiG from the back showing the exhausts? There's not that many builds of the Trumpy kit out there.

Add another person interested in the rear end of the Fulcrum.....

Edited by Mr Matt Foley
13 hours ago, ijozic said:

7 hours ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

Add another person interested in the rear end of the Fulcrum.....

Sure, here is a few shots of my in progress UB..

29exh.1_zpsv5rlump0.jpg

29exh2_zps2g4s0yue.jpg

29exh3_zpsiac3oyud.jpg

29exh4_zpspfrrlgp9.jpg

8 hours ago, The Dude said:

Sure, here is a few shots of my in progress UB..

29exh3_zpsiac3oyud.jpg

Thanks for the photos. I do still get the impression that the space between the engines is a bit too wide (especially the airbrake) making the engines and exhausts a bit more narrow than they should be. When I complete my GWH kit, I will compare it with this photo.

Edited by ijozic
2 hours ago, ijozic said:

Thanks for the photos. I do still get the impression that the space between the engines is a bit too wide (especially the airbrake) making the engines and exhausts a bit more narrow than they should be. When I complete my GWH kit, I will compare it with this photo.

Thanks. The nozzles look pretty nice, especially when compared to the 29M release. But Zacto's nozzles are a piece of art in comparison. I'm waiting for the Trumpy Fulcrum C reviews before I jump on one.

5 hours ago, ijozic said:

Well on this one I still haven't installed the smaller second part if the inside burner cans yet if that is what you mean?

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

Well on this one I still haven't installed the smaller second part if the inside burner cans yet if that is what you mean?

I see that, I just mean if you look at your photo I quoted, the width of the space between the engines and especially the width of the airbrake compared to the width of the engines.. the ratio looks a bit off if I roughly compare it to GWH for instance.

Meaning, I get the impressions that the engine bays should be a bit wider and the space between them and the airbrake a bit more narrow. It's just an impression, though, as my GWH is not in that stage yet so I could take a photo and then do some measuring and comparisons.

37 minutes ago, ijozic said:

I see that, I just mean if you look at your photo I quoted, the width of the space between the engines and especially the width of the airbrake compared to the width of the engines.. the ratio looks a bit off if I roughly compare it to GWH for instance.

Meaning, I get the impressions that the engine bays should be a bit wider and the space between them and the airbrake a bit more narrow. It's just an impression, though, as my GWH is not in that stage yet so I could take a photo and then do some measuring and comparisons.

Large Scale Planes has a couple of threads on the problems with the Trumpy kit, including one build thread. As long as it is better than the old Revell 1/32 kit, Ill give it a shot.

• 2 years later...

Decided to raise this old but very informative thread from the dead since I'm now a proud owner of GWH's MiG-29 9-12 "early type" (L4814). As some might know, I've always been a strict 1/72 builder. I now do have an 1/48 AMK MiG-31 in progress though and I've really been impressed by its level of details and partly by its engineering. As an eternal and longtime Fulcrum fan I decided to get another bigger scale MiG and again I've been very impressed by the quality of the kit. Not sure about the engineering aspect - yet.

I hadn't followed this thread that carefully when the kit was being released cause the scale just wasn't mine. Now that I have the kit and I've read through the thread some questions remain.

My kit seems to be a rather fresh edition (white box with some blue, basically Finnish colors). As far as I've understood, this is a pretty definitive version with all the corrections mentioned in the thread included. I guess this means that also the pylons are now accurate length wise? I don't care about the wing tanks since they are so rarely used and I've already used them on a 1/72 kit anyway. 

As I'm a Fulcrum aficionado (it is the aircraft I really fell in love in my teens - especially after the famous Rissala AB visit - and got me back to modeling after the childhood years), I almost instantly spotted some areas on the kit I didn't quite like. Even after some googling (on ARC and also on some Russian sites) I have not seen any mention on them before (although I'm sure some people have spotted them out).

Every aircraft has certain signature features that at least the fans will instantly recognize. When I started to fiddle with the sprues (mines are still in their bags) for some reason I immediately begun to search for the MLG bays. I looked and looked (for quite a long time actually!) and I was sure there was one sprue missing because I couldn't find the part with the vertical wall (against the engine ducting) for the space where the main gear tires are located when retracted. This is what I mean: https://b-domke.de/AviationImages/Fulcrum/2150.html  

The part I finally found just doesn't resemble the real well wall. It isn't tall enough and, most importantly, lacks the large characteristic indentation which can clearly be seen from the side of the aircraft. The indentation seems to be even on most 1/72 kits! At least on Airfix, ICM and the new Zvezda kit, which I've built all.

Another characteristic detail feature of Fulcrum is the circuit breaker box behind the seat. The individual breaker knobs look rather toyish, have wrong spacing and there are wrong number of them. I might be anal here, but I really recognize certain features of this aircraft and can spot the differences even without photos of the real thing. 😄

On the ventral side there are several louvres that all, for some reason, are recessed. Here's a set of four rows of louvres near the APU exhaust flush with the bottom fuselage - as should be. The same set of louvres on the GWH kit looks pretty ugly.bottom.jpg

Source: vodnik.net

Although the cockpit seems quite nice, the instrument panel details look a bit soft (compared for instance with the AMK Foxhound pits). Again I might sound like a rivet counter (maybe I am, but this is MY plane 🙂 ), but if you look at the the right hand side of the panel, it clearly misses the orange buttons of the navigation system control panel. Again, a very distinctive feature in an otherwise grey cockpit. I remember painting these even on my Airfix Fulcrum years and years ago. They were just so visible. Also the warning light column above it looks quite lame on the kit and lacks the three-dimensionality of the real thing and again the number of lights just doesn't add up.  I think I was able to find every single knob, button and warning light in the AMK pit.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.pinterest.com%2Fpin%2F564216659538798008%2F&psig=AOvVaw0bUNtSr7Da5YR8H3M_YUvM&ust=1619384291416000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CA0QjhxqFwoTCPi0peDil_ACFQAAAAAdAAAAABAD

This is a great kit, the best there is. These are just things I always notice when looking at photos of Fulcrum.  Maybe it's just me, maybe I'm looking forward to see even the tiniest details if they are familiar to me. But since critique and suggestions were welcomed earlier on this thread, I decided to act accordingly. I haven't really checked other details (like landing gears etc.) but I hope these were main mistakes on the kit. I like the overall shapes, I like the surface details, the missiles, the transparencies, how everything is packaged etc. so I'm quite confident.