Great Wall Hobby 1/48 MiG-29 all new tooled

9-13C would be next logical step, followed by 29M. Then maybe post-USSR versions

How would a machine that was never used in any country operationally be logic step after 9-13? SMT would be actually easier to make than 9-13 because it wont need new wings. M would need a new tool from ground up.

My example has been with the Hungarian Customs Office since Nov.22 and they are not to keen to give it out. I think there are some Fulcrum fans there and still not sure if they would like to build it themselves . . . :( :( :(

Best regards

Gabor

Edited by ya-gabor
How would a machine that was never used in any country operationally be logic step after 9-13? SMT would be actually easier to make than 9-13 because it wont need new wings. M would need a new tool from ground up.

Isn't the 9.13S technically just a 9.13 with a new radar and some extra A/G capabilities? The letter probably required some wing strengthening, though I'm unaware of any outside differences in wings between the 9.13 and 9.13S, so I'd appreciate some info regarding this. Thanks.

Isn't the 9.13S technically just a 9.13 with a new radar and some extra A/G capabilities? The letter probably required some wing strengthening, though I'm unaware of any outside differences in wings between the 9.13 and 9.13S, so I'd appreciate some info regarding this. Thanks.

Yeah, IIRC it is all the same on the outside and S having an improved radar and systems. Unsure about A/G modes, but one thing is for sure, you never see them flying with Kh-31's and whatnot. So even if it is available on S, it is never really used. Dumb bombs and rocket pods all the way. ;)

By reading these post I can see that building a Mig-29 in the correct variant is as difficult as building the American F-16 Block whatever!I am still trying to figure those out!

Not really, there is basically three versions out of which 95 % of all MiG-29's are:

9.12 - "Original" one with normal spine.

9.13 - 9.12 but with some improvements on the inside. Larger spine, and ECM wingtips.

9.51 (UB) - Twoseater.

That is pretty much it. Then there is of course variations depending on what customer wanted. Malaysian MiG-29's are for instance 9.12's, but have IFR probe and a few extra details. Etc etc.

I just got mine, too!!! 3-7 days...and packages from City of Industry usually take about that to Chicago...

Lucky, I received a shipping notice December 11th, it hasn't moved yet.

When I look at the USPS website it says electronic shipping information has been received, it hasn't moved so I suspect it hasn't been picked up or dropped off. I am kind of ****** with Dragon USA, I haven't used them before and likely won't again. Usually I don't get upset over shipping but I think they screwed the pooch on this one.

I should have ordered from Japan or Sprue Brothers.

Yeah, IIRC it is all the same on the outside and S having an improved radar and systems. Unsure about A/G modes, but one thing is for sure, you never see them flying with Kh-31's and whatnot. So even if it is available on S, it is never really used. Dumb bombs and rocket pods all the way. ;)/>

Not really, there is basically three versions out of which 95 % of all MiG-29's are:

9.12 - "Original" one with normal spine.

9.13 - 9.12 but with some improvements on the inside. Larger spine, and ECM wingtips.

9.51 (UB) - Twoseater.

That is pretty much it. Then there is of course variations depending on what customer wanted. Malaysian MiG-29's are for instance 9.12's, but have IFR probe and a few extra details. Etc etc.

9-13C has R-77 capability on all six store points, but it can't deploy any smart AG stores; all it has in store is CCIP/CCRP bomb delivery and rockets.

The reason why original M would be a follow up is because it would allow GWH to produce attractive "new" tool with a bunch of wierd looking late Soviet AG missiles and GBUs, without need to retool large plane parts, and generate enough money to eventually invest into making a proper SMT.

the MiG-29M shares very little with the "legacy" MiG-29...

different body, without aux.lerx-top intakes (and thicker lerxs with bigger internal fuel tanks IIRC), with larger spine that end in a very different air-brake (need new tooled topside, and also new bottom side of the main body)

different wings, different stabs... ...not exactly what i call small parts...

in the other hand, doing the only "service" MiG-29SMT (the 9-19) would require, mainly and mostly only a new topside (with the larger spine) ..and some small parts (some cockpit parts and some antennas) ..ok, topside might not be a small part, but at least, they could use the CAD they already have for the 9-12 for starting point, as the 9-19 is an upgrade/update option of the 9-12

and this would offer some way cooler schemes! (prototypes/demo, RuAF, Algerians and IAF)

and, BTW othe SMT's (9-17, 9-18) where only demonstrators...

Edited by mingwin

Should be a FedEx number...Dragon doesn't usually ship USPS...

And sorry, but...my kit came today a day ahead of time!!

HOLY **** is this an awesome kit. Every detail, packaging, box, parts, poster, every single thing about this can not be praised enough.

It is a USPS number and Internet link. Perhaps shipping to Canada is only USPS as FedEx charges us big bucks in brokerage fees.

Just got mine from dragon ahead of time as well.

Im speechless!

these guys tried to put out the best mig-29 kit available in 1/48, and in my opinion succeeded in creating the most amazing kit in ANY scale!

Yeah, IIRC it is all the same on the outside and S having an improved radar and systems. Unsure about A/G modes, but one thing is for sure, you never see them flying with Kh-31's and whatnot. So even if it is available on S, it is never really used. Dumb bombs and rocket pods all the way. ;)/>

Perhaps I was misunderstood - by capabilities I didn't mean anything related to the radar, but increased external weight and dumb A/G ordnance selection.

I asked because I misunderstood that you were saying that the 9.13S was not a logical step after 9.13. I guess you were referring to the M.

9-13C has R-77 capability on all six store points, but it can't deploy any smart AG stores; all it has in store is CCIP/CCRP bomb delivery and rockets.

The reason why original M would be a follow up is because it would allow GWH to produce attractive "new" tool with a bunch of wierd looking late Soviet AG missiles and GBUs, without need to retool large plane parts, and generate enough money to eventually invest into making a proper SMT.

Yes it does, but only a very limited number of R-77's were made. Few 9-13S' were made at all, and even fewever reached operational service. As already pointed out, M is a totally different beast, so i am unsure what "large parts" you mean. Fuselage, wing, all the tails would need a new tool for starters. As mingwin also points out. And they are rather large. ;)

and, BTW othe SMT's (9-17, 9-18) where only demonstrators...

Not entirely true. 9-18 is operational *atleast* with Yemen. There is also rumors about Syria, but i don't believe it until it is proven. :)

Perhaps I was misunderstood - by capabilities I didn't mean anything related to the radar, but increased external weight and dumb A/G ordnance selection.

I asked because I misunderstood that you were saying that the 9.13S was not a logical step after 9.13. I guess you were referring to the M.

Ah. Nope, i was referring to the M all the time, wouldn't make any sense to make one.

Not sure if S had bigger payload. 9-14 (only one or two(?) were made) did have increased storage weight if my memory isn't mistaken. And since 9-14 changes kinda morphed into 9-13S', it is possible i guess.

I just received my order from Dragon USA and had a chance to sit down and look the kit over. To say it's the best detailed OOB kit I've ever seen would be a drastic understatement. I probably have every aftermarket item available for the Academy kit, and went through this one with an eye for what I could replace with some of those AM items. I can't really find any. I'm really looking forward to just building this kit out of the box and enjoying every minute of it.

I can't wait to see what GWH does next. A Flanker would be out of this world and worth every penny of the cost!

cheers,

Mike

The Su-27s we have and will have in any scale aren't state-of-art kits like the GWH MiG-29 but they aren't too bad IMHO. For me 1/48 Su-34 (cool looking but costly to do and just a single user of the type), Su-17/22s, MiG-25s, Su-25s or MiG-31 (I'm not interested at all but many are) would be nice. A 1/144 Tu-22 Blinder (and a HP Victor) would be lovely next to the Vulcan to continue a "weird and cool bombers of the Sixties" range. Still the Fulcrum family needs to be continued (including the SMT) first.

Hi dear all

I have for some domestic sale quantity from the boss and listed them on eBay if you are interested. ;)/>

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121040651561

Tonight I'll give you some more further info by the way! :)/>

Yufei

Yufei,

Can you please start lobbying with GWH boss for Su-25K, Su-22 and Su-7, in this particular order?

Cheers,

Mario

in NYC

Yesterday I got my GWH Mig 29 from Great Models, I mean SprueBrothers. The new kit is fantastic, it immediately made my Academy one(s) obsolete! Sure, it is more expensive, but you don't have to buy any aftermarket brassin. Love the detailed engines, nice touch.

Good job Yufei, I am really impressed:

mig-29x2-crop.jpg

Edited by arc01