Great Wall Hobby 1/48 MiG-29 all new tooled

WHAT!?! The canopy isn't even clear? What a piece of junk! Another CHICOM ripoff!

:D

Looks great Yufei. Glad to hear they listened to the expert input. Looks like the fuselage has a much simpler breakdown than Academy - that'll save a lot of people a lot of headaches. And hopefully they'll follow it up with the full Fulcrum family, some more Russian jets, and maybe some weapons sets to go with them!

Hi delide.

Pretty harsh for a first post on ARC. It seems to me that the demonstration you're trying to do isn't too convincing.

- http://smg.photobuck...zps15d1ffeb.jpg isn't quite sharp and pitch may not be the same

- http://smg.photobuck...zps1f7ac88b.jpg isn't too great: different pitch, optical distorsion (depth of field ?)

- http://smg.photobuck...zpse6001003.jpg is very poor: look how the front of the intake looks like... very different roll

Believe me I know how it's difficult finding the proper photograph to demonstrate a point (shape and proportion accuracy are important to me). Yaw, pitch, roll of the subject, optical distortions need to match. Perhaps you could outline the subjects and overlay them ? The windshield angle may be slightly off but I doubt that the photos you kindly provide can show that the angle is 5° off.

Hi Laurent,

thanks for checking my pictures, no sure why my post count has to do with the problem I see though.

I don’t want to overlay photo with models, even if I could find a prefect photo. After all it’s a model kit, there will be discrepancy anyway. As long as I can’t see any problem with naked eye, the problem isn’t there for me :-)

I took an other attempt with an other higher resolution photo, I can see a slightly bulged form of the rear part on the real thing now, so I think it’s fine on the kit. But the problem with front wind shield on the test shot is still obvious to me, it may not be 5° from the side view, but I can see it’s off by looking at test shot picture alone.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v335/delide/?action=view&current=Unbenannt4_zps761c0a53.jpg

I did a overlay nevertheless:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v335/delide/?action=view&current=Unbenannt6_zps7c4a605c.jpg

Sorry to have sounded harsh, it really would be a perfect kit to me if not this problem, which ruins the look of a bit to me, but maybe it's just me being too sensitive to canopy shape.

Edited by delide

Thank you but I believe that you should have rotated counterclockwise the real plane picture so that the rear of the canopy of the two photos meet.

i'm also pretty sure that if you'd try to get a better lerx line-up on those two pictures, rear part of the canopy (line up) would be very-very close...near perfect match.

maybe there is something not absolutely perfect where the canopy join the windscreen...(real thing on your picture seems slightly more "bulby", with absolutely no angle/step where those two parts meets)... but we're far from Gabor's nose issue :)

to me, it looks 99.99% right.

Awesome cant wait for this to come out but....

Is this meant to be a pre production A?

As it's at the test shot stage, this build is unlikely to be strictly representative of any specific 9-12 variant, but is just a test-build to check shapes and fit of the components as they come out of the mould, so the strakes indicate that an early A will likely be coming but should not be used as an indicator of what variant this test build is.

wtfly.jpg

I think it's an optional part, the fact that the strakes and the chaff dispensers over the wings are included as separate parts tells me that it is possible to build it as an early 9-12 with the strakes, and a late or "standard" 9-12. This is good as it allows a couple interesting early 9-12 decal subjects..

Edited by KursadA

Test shot looks fabulous to these eyes.

Guess the problem with putting out photos of test shots is exactly this one person see's something next thing via Chinese whispers the kit has a botched canopy.

Exactly the same scenario as all the clowns who chimed in over the debacle of the Tamiya Mustang about how the rivets where all way oversized and drowned out the few who clearly pointed out it wasn't even the wing from the kit.

Hope this doesn't descend to that level because from where I sit it looks about as good as you could ever expect from a test shot!

Thank you all for your inputs, buddies. Not only the modelling but also my private issues. :cheers:

First of all please be kindly noticed that I'm NOT an employee of G.W.H., but just a friend of the boss.

I sometimes give my personal advice and some reference directly or indirectly(from many other modelling friends all over the world) help to them, and that's all.

All your feedbacks including the windshield angle issue have been read by our development staff.

So please feel free to ask for anything. :nanner:

But to be honest, the shape of the windshield cannot be adjusted now so some of you have to accept it unfortuntely, but we are negotiating with the molding factory to see if they could fix the bulged frame around the glass area.

It should not look like that on the CAD design so maybe it's the molding factory's misunderstanding again.

These issues happen too much...

As for the profile angle of the windshield, actually we have compared it many times with the actual aircraft photos and Mr. Skylark's profile which resourced from the original Mikoyan design but found no serious problems, at lease from the profile view of it.

Any way, it's also due to some one's taste and we really welcome your accuracy comparision after getting the formal product. ;)

I myself also know there're still many places not accurate enough, just as I said at first that the kit is "far from perfect" especailly in our vetaran modellers' eyes, but most aspects of the kit could be acceptable I think.

(Since the CAD drawers are no aircraft experts or even knows little about the aircrafts, you can imagine how tiring for us to explain everything to them. And to be honest, it's already a miracle for them to correct to this level I personally think. :woot.gif: )

It is the first modern jet kit for G.W.H. staff and as you can see, it's a quite complicated one even with full installable engines.

The maker needs to learn step by step, too.

There will be one photo-etched part for the kit, including many parts which you are wondering why is not there.

And about the variants, there will be 9-12 early type, 9-12 late type and of course 9-13.

Other variants are up to the market need and feedback, SMT is easier for the molding cost while UB need a totally new upper and lower fuselage, cockpit, etc.

Other scales are not impossible of course, but it will be also up to market and the boss himself. B)

Thank you for your support and hope to hear more from you!

Cheers,

Yufei

Here is the Kimov RD-33 engines for the Fulcrum.

Yes, it is a bit smaller in order to fix into the fuselage and also with some fictional details because we cannot get enough references and also due to the limit of molding techniques.

But they are still look good enough, aren't they? :thumbsup:

09_zpse90edcf5.jpg

10_zpsd26bfd02.jpg

11_zps2491da8e.jpg

12_zpsc71b2e68.jpg

wtfly.jpg

No, they were used on early production frames as well. I cannot recall how many exactly. I think i see the early mudguard in first picture as well. Will check my MiG-29 bible later today.

For markings suggestions, let's have a look at this 16.VA's MiG-29 photogallery

http://www.16va.be/galeries_vvs/mig-29/imgcol/index.html

V.P.

Markings are selected already i believe:

http://www.hyperscale.com/2011/reviews/kits/greatwalllmig29previewbg_1.htm

Nozzles look so good they don't need resin replacement, in fact if i didn't know better i would think they *are* resin. :thumbsup:

One question Yufei, is it possible to have the engine on display, and at same time have everything "closed up" on the aircraft? Meaning there will be one extra nozzle, and one extra flameholder/afterburner parts.

Look forward to see 9.13, hope GW didn't forget it has modified wingtips! :woot.gif: SMT would need a new cockpit as well, but it would still be easier/less costly than UB. And if you need references on SMT, i can of course help out.

I think it's an optional part, the fact that the strakes and the chaff dispensers over the wings are included as separate parts tells me that it is possible to build it as an early 9-12 with the strakes, and a late or "standard" 9-12. This is good as it allows a couple interesting early 9-12 decal subjects..

I'm actually more excited about the early version. World Airpower Journal (now sadly defunct) did a great series of articles about the drawdown of USSR aviation units in Germany at the end of the cold war. One aircraft that was featured was an early version -29 that was still in service. They did a color fold-out of it and it had some very unique camo and markings. Hope someone releases a decal for it.

BTW, I'm not an expert on this aircraft, did any of the early versions (the ones w/ the strakes) also have the chaff/flare dispensers installed? Any other differences between early and late?

John

I cannot help smiling at the irony concerning the windshield: for years we complained about lack of angle and now suddenly it's TOO angled :doh:

Well, while I certainly can appreciate a honest and educated opinion, I don't think we should lose much sleep about it.

How soon 'till roll out, you were saying? :woot.gif:

Edited by niki4703

I'm actually more excited about the early version. World Airpower Journal (now sadly defunct) did a great series of articles about the drawdown of USSR aviation units in Germany at the end of the cold war. One aircraft that was featured was an early version -29 that was still in service. They did a color fold-out of it and it had some very unique camo and markings. Hope someone releases a decal for it.

BTW, I'm not an expert on this aircraft, did any of the early versions (the ones w/ the strakes) also have the chaff/flare dispensers installed? Any other differences between early and late?

John

Hi John,

The very early aircraft did not have the fare dispensers but as with so many later modifications you can find basically everything added later on some and not on other aircraft. So you have to look at one particular aircraft at a particular time in its life!

As to the differences:

Starting from the nose, the very early had a different front end to the small electronics compartment below the nose, here they had an ILS antenna right under the nose (same as the one on top of the fin).

The gun blast panel was different, as you can see on the photos of the model it is a separate piece and as far as I know an alternative version is given in the kit.

The mud guard was slightly different on the nose wheel.

The flare dispenser was missing. Here in the kit it is given as an option if you want to install it or not. Also you will see that the flare dispenser in “armed and charged†version with the cover to protect the flare charges removed.

There were the dorsal strakes, they could be demounted so on some aircraft they were taken off while others retained them.

The rudder was shorter and its trailing edge was in line with the vertical fin trailing edge. To increase effectiveness an add on plate was riveted to the original short rudder. Later the all new longer rudders were put on the aircraft as standard (all up to todays production version)

And the part I love the best. :D :D :D The ejection seat. All the early prototype and very early aircraft still had the KM-1M ejection seats inherited from the MiG-21 family (and MiG-23, and MiG-25 . . .) of aircraft. Some early series aircraft had the K-36DM with the big headrest and also a version of the later smaller headrest but with a different padding to it. Only later on was the K-36DM Series 2 ejection seat added to the MiG-29 aircraft with its distinct small headrest. With the K-36DM there were two versions used, one for the IPS-72 pilots harness and one where the harness was integral part of the seat.

This is just a quick list for the early aircraft, there should be other differences too . . .

Best regards

Gabor

They did a color fold-out of it and it had some very unique camo and markings. Hope someone releases a decal for it.

John

In our decals MiG-29, part 1 at least 5 marking scheme for MiG-29 9-12 with ventral fins, including USSR AF in GDR, USSR "Agressor" squadron, Ukranian AF MiG-29 with sharkmouth.

And also more intresting scheme for MiG-29 9-12 without vental fins.

I intend to include this in the decal sheet I am planning for this kit.

Yufei, any kit that has your input can only be excellent, as these test shots confirm. Small request-any chance of convincing your friend at GWH to make an su27 in 1/48 as good as this mig-29 is, (i.e. with your input)? I know your canopy fixes one of the majoy problems of the academy kit but there are still other issues...

I see pictures of mig 29s like the one above and it makes me sad...such a potent airframe rotting away. Reminds of the mig21s rotting at Maputo airbase in Mozambique, just left there since the early eighties...

Edited by dryguy

This is going to be a nice kit of an exciting aircraft! It should be a good seller for GWH and hopefully they will invest in other high quality jet model kits of Russian origin for the future. The to do list still is long!

Anyway, it seems that 2013 will be a good year for the jet modellers!