Dragon 1/144 Grumman X-29

Just found this at the LHS--didn't even know it was out! Since I was at Grumman at the time the X-29 was being tested, I had the 1/72 Hasegawa in the stash. But, I'm really much happier with this, as I do 1/48 and 1/144.

Here's the box

X-29-box.jpg

The sprue

X-29-sprue.jpg

The fuselage is complete, except for the underside

X-29-fuselage.jpg

The markings are for the 1st aircraft, now hanging from the ceiling at Wright-Patterson

X-29-decals.jpg

The fuselage is complete, except for the underside

Wow, that slide mold technology is really something. I never thought that the seam along the spine was particularly tough to deal with, but this probably makes it easier to center the tail and antennas, which is a bit of a pain at times in 1/144.

The timing was a little unexpected since I don't recall them announcing this kit. But the X-29 had been in their pre-built line for a little while. So I am not at all surprised they decided to kit it. Nice move molding the fuselage one piece in this scale. I could have a lot of fun with some "What ifs" with this kit.

The timing was a little unexpected since I don't recall them announcing this kit. But the X-29 had been in their pre-built line for a little while. So I am not at all surprised they decided to kit it. Nice move molding the fuselage one piece in this scale. I could have a lot of fun with some "What ifs" with this kit.

I like the idea of doing mine as a what if but not sure what.

Don't really know much about this plane, wasn't it built specifically as a test plane for this wing technology?

Edited by kg4kpg

Not really know about this plane, wasn't it built specifically as a test plane for this wing technology?

Yes, so unlike the Su-47 it was never planned as a military aircraft and never had weapons or pylons installed.

Correct. Testbed is all it was intended for. Forward swept wings have the potential of being better than normal swept ones since the airflow is carried from the tips to the fuselage. But the stresses incurred during flight can snap them easily. By the 1980s, Fly by wire technology and composite design had advanced enough for an aircraft to be built with this new technology and the X-29 was a result. As I recall though, the practical benefits of FSW haven't been sufficient enough for a design to fully benefit from them. Even the Sukhoi Berkut never entered production (although it did look very cool when it flew).