Matthias Becker's last two builds

Matthias, great builds and beautiful paintjobs! :woo:

Just one question about the closed upper intakes on the MiG: did you forget to open those, or is that intentional?

Some detailshots or some in-progress-story-link would have been an interesting addition as I haven't been around

for years and for the life of me can't find your username here. Great detailwork and weathering! Not too much, just

the needed realistic touch, nothing overdone -> Punktlandung :) Now if I just could find my

Hase P-38J with all the Eduard-gizmos, I could start it, too. Your build even made that urge worse :)

:yahoo::cheers:

István

• 2 weeks later...

:D, Hi Istvan,

MiG-29 auxiliary intake doors are spring loaded to the closed position when the engines aren't running. When the engine starts up there is a higher pressure outside the door than inside it and thus it opens up and stays open on the ground and at low airspeeds until the pressures on either side of the doors equalise then they close. As Matthias has modelled his MiG as being stationary on the ground with noone in the cockpits, shut down engines and closed auxiliary intake doors are correct for the way he has built this model.

A beautifully built model the Matthias. Everything is as it should be. Congratulations.

:cheers:,

Ross.

:D, Hi Istvan,

MiG-29 auxiliary intake doors are spring loaded to the closed position when the engines aren't running. When the engine starts up there is a higher pressure outside the door than inside it and thus it opens up and stays open on the ground and at low airspeeds until the pressures on either side of the doors equalise then they close.

Ross.

Thanks for the input, I wasn't quite sure about that as they appear to be semi-closed, otherwise they'd lign up flush with the surrounding surface, that's why I asked as I remember having seen those open on many models and photos. :cheers:

As I said: great builds :)

István

Edited by I.Illes

:D, Hi again Istvan,

I read somewhere that sometimes the springs would break and because they had big solid covers for when the aircraft were on the ground, they would not change them immediately but wait until the next major servicing. You may notice that Harriers have no springs so the bottom doors just look closed and the top ones drop to the fully open position with the middle ones somewhere in between. With the Mirage IIIO and IIID the springs were quite hefty so they never broke between major servicings.

Ross.