Best beginner Airbrush and Compressor?

Hi Guys, this is my first post here on this forum.

I am going to start with my very first model project, a Revel F-15E 1/48

I was wondering if any of you have any suggestions what is a good Airbrush and Air compressor for my project?

Found this airbrush with an air compressor package for $209.00 at tcpglobal

Iwata Revolution BCR Airbrush

Iwata Silver Jet Air Compressor

What do you guys think?

Thanks

Iwata is a great brand when it comes to airbrushes, can't say anything about the compressor, though. As a beginner, I'd recommend you get a cheap and small kit and learn the basics and tackle the F-15 later as it is an excellent kit and imho would turn out better if you have some experience and can do it justice. Sanding, masking, spotting and removing flash, filling sinkmarks/pinmarks, removing glue residue and gaps, priming, painting, detailenhancement, weathering, washes etc. take some time, so I highly recommend to get some smaller cheap learning kits before. You don't start building a house finishing the roof first ;) Welcome to the hobby and here's to a lifetime of learning! :)

My 2 cents for what it is worth, go for a top loading brush like the revolution cr.

Especially if you intend to do any camo work. Reason being that you can lower the pressure, which leads to less overspray. You can also get in closer to the kit(again my experience) (Bottom cups in my experience require higher pressure to get the paint moving=more over spray)

You can also look at the Iwata NEO Iwata neolook them up. I think there were som QC issues?

If you havent been here, go to Mr. Wheelers web site

Don Wheeler excellent resource.

If noise is a factor, then a silent compressor is a great way to go. Something with a tank to cut down on pulsation.

And start with "cheap" kits for sure. Take a look at the Pegasus line Hurricane review

You can practice seam filling, gluing, masking etc without spending a lot. Spruebrothers should have them.

Iwata Revolution BCR Airbrush

Iwata Silver Jet Air Compressor

What do you guys think?

I don't think you want to go with the Revolution BCR. It's better to go with a gravity feed model, such as the Revolution BR or Revolution CR for ease of cleaning and ease of spraying freehand camo. As for the compressor, the Silver Jet is OK, but you might want one with auto-shut off and a holding tank.

I forgot to mention that the Br looks to have a .5 nozzle. I think that the IWATA CS or an equivalent to the CS GREX are good for camo/fine detail. Again, just going by my experience.

grex

Edit: or I forgot thinning ratios are important. I use mainly acrylics, and now use around 60-70% thinner to paint. Depends on the paint as well. Got this from a fantastic builder at the LHS.

Experiment BEFORE going on to the actual project. I have plenty of test hulks so it is something that I can do easily.

Welcome to the hobby and the site.

Edited by Av8fan

I'd say Iwata gravity feed for sure and just go get a small compressor from sears, home depot etc. Much bigger tank, no pulsing and it can be used as an air tank if you need to be quiet. Get a moisture trap as well.

Good luck and enjoy the hobby!

I'd say Iwata gravity feed for sure and just go get a small compressor from sears, home depot etc. Much bigger tank, no pulsing and it can be used as an air tank if you need to be quiet. Get a moisture trap as well.

Good luck and enjoy the hobby!

I second this- If you have a Hobby Lobby near you, wait for the 40% off any 1 item coupon that is usually every other week, get your Iwata airbrush for 60-90 bones with the coupon. Harbor Freight (not sure if you have one near you) has little pancake compressors on sale for $39.95 this week. They already have a regulator on them so all you need is a moisture trap to hook up your airbrush. Granted that Harbor Frieght isn't top quality but for $40.....

My 2 eurocents: my father used to say he is too poor to buy cheap. Buy something decent and you spend only once. Pulsating and loud airsupply was my first lesson I had to learn the hard way when I bought my first equipment.

Mediochre quality airbrush was the second. Lesson learned twenty years ago. Iwata and H&S all the way, silent compressor and if money is an issue: there is always someone selling used GREAT stuff, which costs as much as brandnew rubbish.

Edited by I.Illes

Thanks for the wonderful replies my new friends.

A was able to find an old Airbrush i used to have few years ago. It hasnt been used in sometime. What do you guys think of this brush?, i know its not gravity fed but still? :

Iwata Eclipse HP-BCS

Thanks again!

Edited by thefleet

Just my 2 cents..BCS type brushes can do very good work. I just find a gravity feed brush to be better for me. Easier to use etc. As you already have the BCS, get a test hulk, mix some paint/thinner(wear a proper mask) and start practicing.

Do you have a pressure regulator? You could experiment. i.e. what happens at 20psi..15, 10 etc. It's a great way to learn. Thats why I keep test hulks. that and I mess up, but anyhow..Practice before doing something to a build.

Edited by Av8fan

Thanks for the wonderful replies my new friends.

A was able to find an old Airbrush i used to have few years ago. It hasnt been used in sometime. What do you guys think of this brush?, i know its not gravity fed but still? :

Iwata Eclipse HP-BCS

Thanks again!

If that airbrush is already in your possession, don't doubt for a second, and use that one. Give it some loving care, tear it apart clean it and reassemble it. I'm sure it will work great. Maybe the funds you save this way could be used to buy a better compressor.

I've found a few links that might help you with the HP-BCS:

The manual (in case you don't have that anymore)

Linkt to the Hp-Bcs on Airbrush Guru (Lots of info and links on there)

Have fun. Don't be discouraged by disappointing results or even major problems at first. A good paint job is all about finding a balance between air pressure and paint consistency( and a few other things as well). The only way to get the hang of it is to experiment. As has been said, don't start experimenting on an expensive kit, but use a plastic yoghurt pot or water bottle. Experiment with more or less thinning, combined with higher and lower air pressure. You'll soon see what happens, and what the AB works best with. You'll find that cleaning your airbrush takes a huge amount of time, until that will also become a routine, and you'll do it in a fraction of the time.

Edited by huntermountain

I'm not a big fan of "Baby Steps" when it comes to buying a brush, Starting out with a cheap/inexpensive brush could be more of a headache and discouraging when you have minimal knowledge of the basic function associated with paint mixtures and air pressures, these are just compounded with a cheap brush (ie; Harbor Freight airbrushes ; see below)

With the package deal you linked it seems that $200 is within your budget and you can get a fine brush in that price range (and a large variety also)

As with the others here I agree Gravity Feed is the way to go, it will make your life so much easier. To throw in a plug I'd recommend the Badger Krome, it will more than meet your requirements and as your skill grows it will not be lagging, also it comes with the 2 tips, so you can change to the fine tip and really test your abilities, I don't think you can out grow that one.

Air; Depending on your Home situation (House,Apartment,Car...) I recommend a regular garage type Air compressor, unfortunately they are now diaphragm types and are loud, but air hose is cheap and you can build a dog house out on the back 40 and run the hose to your workbench and connect to a regulator there, they can also be used to air up your tires, run pneumatic tools and what not, you wont be regulated to just being able to run an A/B.

But if you can find a belt driven compressor (maybe at a garage sale) then you'll be much happier, I have a Craftsman belt driven that I've been using most of my building career it's been around a loong time.

But if you need to be a bit more portable and quiet then I highly recommend you look into (as mentioned above) the co2 set up, you can get into this close to your $100 budget, I don't even need it and I'm considering getting one, the 20lb bottles will last a long time depending on your use (I've read from other users 1-3 years before a refill) and they don't break down.....

Just my .03cents and air brush setups.

Curt

A Club Member brought one of these into our meeting, I took it apart and did a little massaging to some of the parts and it really isn't too bad, they are a bit "Clunky" but if you have some experience a tune up is definitely needed, The Club ended up buying one of the 6 brush sets to be used at our Club Contest and Make-N-Takes (Hense the interest in portable Co2 are sources)they do resemble the Badger but some parts are not interchangeable. I do not recommend these to anyone with little to no experience with an A/B, if you can't trouble shoot don't get into one.

16.jpg

I recently bought an Iwata HP-C Plus airbrush with a mini moisture control. I was wondering what a good compressor to get for it. I have been looking at the Iwata 850 Smart Jet, but I am unsure if this is slightly over kill. I haven't messed around with building models in a very long time and I am not trying to start back up. I do have a compressor already, but it is loud and stays in the garage for painting firearms and putting air in my truck tires etc. I would like to get something small and quiet for modeling purposes only that won't break the bank ($200 is my max, but I would rather spend less). Any recommendations?

ETA: I will be using it (the airbrush compressor) in a spare bedroom in my house.

Edited by dangerdan87

Folks, although he doesn't say it in his post, the title of the thread asks "Best Beginner Airbrush and Compressor?" I see a bunch of recommendations for double action, gravity fed models, etc,

IMO that is the wrong advice. There is one airbrush that has for decades been the clear, preferred choice for an easy to use, beginner (and forever after), general purpose airbrush. That brush is the classic Paasche H. No other brush is easier to use, maintain, or get accessories/replacement parts for than the H.

My advice is to get a 40% off coupon and go straight to Hobby Lobby and get a Paasche H kit. I think it comes with a #5 tip (broad coverage). Use it for that. Then get a #1 tip and aircap and use that for your early fine line efforts. With practice, you can get very good results with only this set-up. If you want pencil thin lines, then you will need higher priced equipment and years of practice with mixtures, air pressure, and motor skills. Save the purchase of a high end brush like a gravity feed H&S or similar for down the road a couple of years after you get comfortable with the basics of how to operate and care for a general purpose airbrush. Internal mix airbrushes require thinner paint and are more finicky to maintain than an external mix.

The Badger 350 is also a decent choice, but the handle and component quality does not appear to me as high as a Paasche H.

As far as compressors....there are many good ones, but stay away from the cheapies. You want a quiet, demand driven model. These are generally known as "burpers." All major airbrush manufacturers have them in their line up. Make sure you get a moisture trap and regulator. A good set up is not cheap, but it will last you forever so don't scrimp.

Air tanks are fine also if you want to hassle with the space it takes and having to hump it around when it needs refilling. I have never tried one.

Oh, and that Iwata you have?........I would clean it up and put it on the shelf for a year or so until you have mastered the basics. Even as an advanced modeler, you will find that 75% of your airbrushing is general purpose and easily done with the H, with no need to break out a internal mix, double action, gravity fed brush. Use one of those only when the job demands it.

Edited by DutyCat

I recently bought an Iwata HP-C Plus airbrush with a mini moisture control. I was wondering what a good compressor to get for it. I have been looking at the Iwata 850 Smart Jet, but I am unsure if this is slightly over kill. I haven't messed around with building models in a very long time and I am not trying to start back up. I do have a compressor already, but it is loud and stays in the garage for painting firearms and putting air in my truck tires etc. I would like to get something small and quiet for modeling purposes only that won't break the bank ($200 is my max, but I would rather spend less). Any recommendations?

ETA: I will be using it (the airbrush compressor) in a spare bedroom in my house.

As I mentioned above, you already have an air source, just buy more hose, get a Harbor Freight regulator/water trap combo and put that at the end of your hose line and your set,HERE is a 1/4 X 100 ft for $17.00,(the 1/4 inch line should pass under your garage door with no problem of pinching) I can't find the regulator combo but they have them in store.

So for about $40 you'll have a quiet air source at your work bench.

Curt

Edited by Netz

Duty Cat, My 1st experience with a "Beginner Brush" was "Why???" I had bought a Badger 200loaded it with paint and started spraying, I quickly became a 2 handed sprayer as I had no spray pattern control due to it being a single action brush,I was 14 and that brush was too basic for me, even having no experience with an A/B (but it was what I could afford) I could have bought a Badger 150 for $20 more (double the cost of the 200)and wish I did, I eventually bought a Badger 100 side feed, I picked it over the Paashe due to it's size, I did not like the fat body of the Paashe it was very uncomfortable.

So with that the best advise I can give is to find the A/B's you are interested in and try to get them in your hand, see how they feel, don't get into the "Beginner Brush" mode, a better brush will be easier to use, since his budget is around $100 I'd shop in that price range and get the best I could find, forget about a learning curve.

Curt

As I mentioned above, you already have an air source, just buy more hose, get a Harbor Freight regulator/water trap combo and put that at the end of your hose line and your set,HERE is a 1/4 X 100 ft for $17.00,(the 1/4 inch line should pass under your garage door with no problem of pinching) I can't find the regulator combo but they have them in store.

So for about $40 you'll have a quiet air source at your work bench.

Curt

I don't want to route an air hose from my garage to the other end of the house where the spare room is. I wold rather have something at the desk while I work.

Then I'd recommend a Co2 set up.

Just a quick cost estimate

Bottle $90.00

Regulator $45.00

so roughly $150.00, find it locally and save on shipping.

Some Gas suppliers have an exchange plan where you don't have to buy the tank, and they will just exchange it for a full once it's empty, that will reduce the cost of the bottle purchase.

Or if you want to drop $200 on a compressor I'd recommend this Grex, it's what they use for demo's at local Contest's/events, I've used it and it works great.

Curt

Edited by Netz

Hi,

My first airbrush was a Iwata Revolution BR, and actually it is still my workhorse. It is kind of cheap, easy to clean and use. I also paint pretty much everything in 1/48 scale and I am quite happy with it.

Now that I gained some experience with A/B, I just wish I could use a smaller nozzle.

Tonio

Folks, although he doesn't say it in his post, the title of the thread asks "Best Beginner Airbrush and Compressor?" I see a bunch of recommendations for double action, gravity fed models, etc,

IMO that is the wrong advice. There is one airbrush that has for decades been the clear, preferred choice for an easy to use, beginner (and forever after), general purpose airbrush. That brush is the classic Paasche H. No other brush is easier to use, maintain, or get accessories/replacement parts for than the H.

My advice is to get a 40% off coupon and go straight to Hobby Lobby and get a Paasche H kit. I think it comes with a #5 tip (broad coverage). Use it for that. Then get a #1 tip and aircap and use that for your early fine line efforts. With practice, you can get very good results with only this set-up. If you want pencil thin lines, then you will need higher priced equipment and years of practice with mixtures, air pressure, and motor skills. Save the purchase of a high end brush like a gravity feed H&S or similar for down the road a couple of years after you get comfortable with the basics of how to operate and care for a general purpose airbrush. Internal mix airbrushes require thinner paint and are more finicky to maintain than an external mix.

I'll second the Paasche H. I bought one many years ago as my first airbrush, and it is still my work horse airbrush today.