1/72 Airliners- 737 & 727 Suggestions needed

I scored a couple of 1/72 builder kits this weekend at our local contest.

First was the Aurora 727 in United livery. Once I tossed out the moldy box, instructions and decals (they were that bad), scrubbed and disinfected the plastic really good, I have everything but one of the MLG Struts. I figure for $7 I could add a nice piece to my 72 collection.

I also picked up a Monogram 1/72 United 737 ($7). Decals may be salvageable, but I would like to do something different.

I think I would like to do the classic Western airlines livery on the 727. I found that Flight Path did a set of decals for that (FP72-044) but I have not found them in stock at any retailer- Are they an old set and hard to find? Any suggestions as to where I could get a set? Might consider some of the Branniff markings as well.

I would really like to do the 737 as a PSA bird. The only decals I have seen for that are in the Aurora kit. Any suggestions. I may switch gears and use the draw decals for the Janet Airways livery.

I am looking for other suggestions for other liveries that may be out there. I am also looking for suggestions for the builds and any aftermarket that may be out there to improve these kits.

Airliners have always interested me, but it is a step out of my comfort zone of dull and dingy military birds.

Thanks in advance for any help! -Mike

The Aurora 737 seems not to be the best airliner kit ever which is an understatement, but I do believe that every kit can be built into a fine looking model with some attention. It sure does look like a 737 when built, but there are a lot of accuracy issues that might not be very interesting to a newbie into airliner modeling.

Contrails does have a replacement resin engine set for the 737-200. The engines in the kit are all wrong (too short).

http://www.contrailsmodels.com/5143.html

About the livery: there are lots and lots of interesting liveries. It just depends on your interest. Does it have to be an American airliner?

Here's a link with a LOT of photos of the 737-200 in different liveries. There is always one that you like.

http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?aircraft_genericsearch=%3D%22boeing+737-200+%28t-43%29%22&airlinesearch=&countrysearch=&specialsearch=&daterange=&keywords=&range=&sort_order=photo_id+desc&page_limit=15&thumbnails=

Thanks for the tip on the resin engines- the kit ones are pretty lame.

I like to make kits as accurate as I can, so the accuracy issues do interest me (I don't know anything about problems with these kits). But if it looks like a scale model, rather than a toy..I am happy.

So I have the Monogram 737, and the Aurora 727. Is the Monogram 737 the Aurora mold? There was an Aurora 737 at the table as well but it had all the window cutouts vs. the Monogram using decals. I did not want to fill all those holes with clearfix-

As far a liveries go- I'm not sure what decals are readily availible for 1/72 scale. I know I could try to print....but I would rather not. May tastes in airline livery are: 1) 60-70's vintage companies from the western USA. I grew up in So. Cal and now live near Salt Lake City, Utah....hence my interest in the Western Air Lines Livery, SLC was a big hub for Western until Delta took over. I also like some of the Southwest special schemes, and the old PSA planes with the smiles on them are a good memory from my childhood. I also have an interest in Latin American / Carribean companies as well.

Thanks again for any help! I'm looking forward to building these.

There are a few decal sheets available for these kits. And asking a decal manufacturer to rescale their 1:144 decals for you sometimes works out. At least Draw Decal (www.drawdecal.com) can do that for you.

The Monogram and Aurora kits are indeed the same. I don't have any of them so I don't know what exactly is wrong with it, I've just seen photos. One problem is that the eyebrow windows above the cockpit windscreen aren't moulded in the kit. So you have to either cut them open, or fill in the whole cockpit window to use a blind window decal. A lot of people use the last choice on 1:144th scale but I think it would be a pity to fill in the cockpit windows on a 1:72th scale 737.

I'm not really into 727's so I don't know about that kit or possible liveries.. :)

I scored a couple of 1/72 builder kits this weekend at our local contest.

First was the Aurora 727 in United livery. Once I tossed out the moldy box, instructions and decals (they were that bad), scrubbed and disinfected the plastic really good, I have everything but one of the MLG Struts. I figure for $7 I could add a nice piece to my 72 collection.

Be careful, Mike: the Aurora 727 is not 1/72 scale. Probably 1/95 or so.

@Jennings: everyday I wish it was already tomorrow.

Regards

Euge

Be careful, Mike: the Aurora 727 is not 1/72 scale. Probably 1/95 or so.

@Jennings: everyday I wish it was already tomorrow.

Regards

Euge

I sadly arrived at that dissapointment yesterday as I was searching around for information on it!

When I was looking at it to buy it....it looked out of scale to the 737 I was buying, but certainly not 144! Live and learn.....at least this was a cheap lesson!

Really? Please let us know who is behind the scene of this one.

Kurt

I guess you will get the same reply since 18 months or so he has been talking about this kit, "can't tell who's releasing it, can't tell when it will be available, can't show test shot photos, but (please) believe me it's coming" ;-)

Cheers, Steven

Yes, you will get that same reply, because that's the reply I've been asked by the people doing it to give. It's not because I'm trying to dangle something in front of you. I figured people would like to know that a new 1/72 737-200 kit is coming. Just because I can't violate the confidence of the designer and manufacturer of the kit doesn't make it any less true. I've (recently) seen proofs of the decal sheet to be included in the first release, and you're just going to have to take it on faith and my word that I've seen photos of the parts of the model (assembled, even), and that it exists. Sorry if that makes you uncomfortable or somehow offends you, but that's just the way life is....

An announcement from the manufacturer is probably very close. They want the kit to be "right" before it comes to market.

J

They want the kit to be "right" before it comes to market.

They want the kit to be right, that is very generous from them, but why can we not have some sort of official announcement from the manufacturer ? I understand test shot photos or release date are probably too much asking for but simply announcing the brand, the part count, recessed or raised details and probably the type of molding (short run or "usual" injected) could be a nice move from the manufacturer.

By keeping this "secret" since 18 months, some modelers may have ordered other kits currently available, Welsh for an example.

Cheers, Steven

By keeping this "secret" since 18 months, some modelers may have ordered other kits currently available, Welsh for an example.

Cheers, Steven

Don't do that. I'm building Welsh' 737-700 and it needs a LOT of accuracy improvements.

I'm not saying that the kit is very bad (I'm glad that at least they do a 72nd scale 737) but the new mystery kit might be worth waiting.

Edited by TheFlyingDutchman

Don't do that. I'm building Welsh' 737-700 and it needs a LOT of accuracy improvements.

I'm not saying that the kit is very bad (I'm glad that at least they do a 72nd scale 737) but the new mystery kit might be worth waiting.

I actually bought the 737-400 kit long time before that mystery 737-200 kit was announced but I do not plan building the Welsh kit, like you said, way too much things simplified. It is just that I do not get this "mystery" thing from the 737-200 manufacturer... I mean, his 737-200 kit will not be less "right" if he announces it officially.

Cheers, Steven

I prefer a surprise kit that turns up out of the blue than an officially announced kit that never comes (hello Italeri!). Let's just wait.

Me too, but I still think it will not cost them an arm to announce officially the kit, especially when its release is soon.

BTW, you did a hell of a job on your Welsh -700, well done ! I love the flight deck window framing, it is very petite work, impressive.

Cheers, Steven

PS : too bad about that Italeri ATR commuter, I was really hoping on that one.

Edited by PMG Offramp

I have just received a bunch of photos of the final test shots of the new 1/72 737-200 kit (no, I can't post them here, because I was asked not to share them). Visible in the photos are a partly assembled model, plus some shots showing various injection molded detail parts (including main gear tires with the raised manufacturer lettering visible on them) and subassemblies. I'm told that an official announcement is imminent. They were shooting for E-Day in Prague, but apparently they didn't quite make it.

I prefer a surprise to something that never shows up too, but just because photos can't be shown doesn't mean I've been lying about this kit for 3 years (which is in effect what you're saying). It actually exists, and has for some time since it's been in development. We've just become far too used to instant gratification...

J

Doesn't Authentic Airliners have a resin 727/737 replacement nose in 1/72?

Yes, it is specifically designed for the KMC 727 but may be adapted for a 737, in that case the lower front section should be altered since it is slightly less deep on the 737.

BTW it is a splendidly cast hollow resin part, the outline/volumes are beautiful and the window are shightly recessed, it is an improvment part really worth considering.

Cheers, Steven

Unfortunately, the 1:72 scale nose replacement is no longer available. The mold was not usable anymore. But this nose shape will be found on the 1:72 722 kit, which is coming soon.

Besides of the different nose gear bays, all 737 and 727 versions have exactly the same nose profile .

Kurt

Edited by Kurt

To answer an earlier question, yes the Monogram 737 is the same plastic as in the Aurora box. Maybe a different color… :whistle:

Thanks for the answer-

I am not looking to have a gnats-*** accurate show model, but I would like to make any obvious and/ or moderately complex modifications to make it look good in my case with the rest of my 72 collection. Really thinking of doing the Janet Airways 737-200.

So what are the modificaions that need to be made to the 1/72 Monogram/Aurora 737 to make it a reasonable representation of a -200?

I spent $7 on this kit, Will probably get the resin engines and the Draw Decals, not wanting to spend a lot more on the build but would like to know what is availible so I can look for it. Looking more for scratch building modification ideas.