1/72 Airliners- 737 & 727 Suggestions needed

Your post left me with the implication that I was making it up (as have posts of others in the past).

Jennings, if my post left you with that feeling, that is because YOU wanted to be left with that feeling. And please, find me these "posts of others in the past". If you cannot, just move on, thanks.

That is the way life is (you say it often).

Period (you say it often).

13 years of flying these guys around - would love to see one in any of these colors... Fun plane to be sure, but I'll still take an 800 or 700 with their better electronics anyday...

22881_1056316575.jpg

806922.jpg

This is an older effort.It's the Monogram (Aurora) 1/72 kit. I fixed as much as I could...

DSCN1727.jpg

Edited by cmhjets

To cmhjets re: the photo of the Delta Bird-

Fist off- thanks for actually posting regarding my original post. I wasn't sure I would ever get any responses with the urinal sword fight taking place on my hijaked post.

That looks nice! I would be very happy to have something like that in my collection!

What were the fixes you did for that?

Thanks- Mike

Edited by lyonkubb

To cmhjets re: the photo of the Delta Bird-

Fist off- thanks for actually posting regarding my original post. I wasn't sure I would ever get any responses with the urinal sword fight taking place on my hijaked post.

That looks nice! I would be very happy to have something like that in my collection!

What were the fixes you did for that?

Thanks- Mike

I hardly know where to begin. I tried to accurize the nose area, lengthened the fuselage (the model is kind of a -100), changed the wing tips, moved the vertical stabilizer a bit forward, added parts to the engines for more of a -200 look, modified the wing root area (which still isn't quite right), added landing gear bays, etc. You get the idea...the model is kind of rough. Since the picture was taken I added aerials and other protuberances. I would not do this again. As I said, an older build, before the latest Delta livery. When I built this, Delta was still serving KCMH with this plane. Not extremely accurate, but better than nothing. I did the same type of thing with the Aurora DC-9, turned it into an MD-80. Today there are much better, but not inexpensive, options if you want one of these.

CMH - beautiful job on your 737 - especially considering what you had to start with... I flew those into CMH many, many times. I've never flown with anyone who didn't love "Delta Express" and the Orlando base. It's a heartfelt shame that it went away.

Hitch

I tried to accurize the nose area - so is this just a shaping issue? did you reshape to a print?

lengthened the fuselage (the model is kind of a -100 -do you have any specific dimensions? I found one site where someone was building a T-43 and showed an extention behind the wings- I have an idea of what needs to be done there.

changed the wing tips -How So?

moved the vertical stabilizer a bit forward -How much?

added parts to the engines for more of a -200 look -I plan on resin replacements.

modified the wing root area (which still isn't quite right), Could you describe your change? I need to get the kit parts out and compare to your photo-

Thanks again for your help- I am really unfamiliar with airliners and appreciate any suggestions to make a nicer bird. All of these sound like changes I will make so far....

Suit yourselves, but rather than break my arm trying to make a 737 out of the Aurora mess, I would hold off just a bit and get a really nice 737-200 Advanced right out of the box. You can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig :)

J

Looks like one long transparent strip for the cabin windows. I hope masks for it will be provided :P

Very curious about the manufacturer of this kit!

I am wondering if it is not DACO behind this kit? I have no proof. No inside info. I am just guessing since Danny did such a bang up job on the 737-300/400/500 perhaps he is the mastermind behind the kit. Oh well, time will tell, correct?

I am wondering if it is not DACO behind this kit? I have no proof. No inside info. I am just guessing since Danny did such a bang up job on the 737-300/400/500 perhaps he is the mastermind behind the kit. Oh well, time will tell, correct?

It is absolutely not in any way, shape, form, or fashion in any way related to, connected with, nor done with any input from Mr. Coremans. He's not the only 737 fan in the world. :)

I state the above with absolute 100% iron-clad certainty. I'm that certain because *I'm* the guy who provided all the technical info and drawings to the folks doing the model (who are also in no way connected with Mr. Coremans).

Edited by Jennings

It is absolutely not in any way, shape, form, or fashion in any way related to, connected with, nor done with any input from Mr. Coremans. He's not the only 737 fan in the world. :)

I state the above with absolute 100% iron-clad certainty. I'm that certain because *I'm* the guy who provided all the technical info and drawings to the folks doing the model (who are also in no way connected with Mr. Coremans).

C'est la vie.

It will be announced by the manufacturer in due course. I have absolutely nothing to do with that end, nor do I have any idea of the price or anything else of that nature. You'll know as soon as I know. That you can count on. I will say it's not Trumpetboss, Tamigawa, or Revfix.

It will be announced by the manufacturer in due course. I have absolutely nothing to do with that end, nor do I have any idea of the price or anything else of that nature. You'll know as soon as I know. That you can count on. I will say it's not Trumpetboss, Tamigawa, or Revfix.

Not Daco, not Trumpetboss, Tamigawa, or Revfix? Has to be Kendall Model Company's follow up to thier 1/72 727-200. :woot.gif:

I'm indeed not involved in this project, but I've got that kind of project already a long time in my head: enlarging the 1/144 3D files of my -300 kit to 1/72...

But there are a few considerations:

* My tooling company isn't that fast - to say the least

* I've no idea how the market is for that kind of kit(s), and it took already 7 years to sell out the first batch of the more popular 1/144 scale.

* The -300 is already an "outdated" version of the 737, and then it should be wiser (marketwise) to do a NG version, which means new 3D design

* A 1/72 kit requires a lot more detail, and this means also open windows = interior = many seats = many more sprues = big price tag...

Then I think it's much more wiser to release a 1/32 F-104G Starfighter kit, if Italeri doesn't release theirs soon, as both project should be having the same price tag and I know I sell many thousands of them over here in Europe...

Danny

A full interior might not be necessary. I'm working (very slowly) on a Welsh 737 in 1/72nd scale, and I'm quite happy with a closed up main cabin, using decals for the windows. Now, having said that I actually think a 1/72nd 737-MAX would be the way to go, as soon as that design is finalized. They'll be in the sky for years to come, a number of airlines already have them on order, and there may be enough commonality with your existing CAD designs that it will cut costs somewhat.

Robert

I'm indeed not involved in this project, but I've got that kind of project already a long time in my head: enlarging the 1/144 3D files of my -300 kit to 1/72...

But there are a few considerations:

* My tooling company isn't that fast - to say the least

* I've no idea how the market is for that kind of kit(s), and it took already 7 years to sell out the first batch of the more popular 1/144 scale.

* The -300 is already an "outdated" version of the 737, and then it should be wiser (marketwise) to do a NG version, which means new 3D design

* A 1/72 kit requires a lot more detail, and this means also open windows = interior = many seats = many more sprues = big price tag...

Then I think it's much more wiser to release a 1/32 F-104G Starfighter kit, if Italeri doesn't release theirs soon, as both project should be having the same price tag and I know I sell many thousands of them over here in Europe...

Danny

Kind of off-subject, but have you ever considered selling just your 737's nose? Most airliner kit noses are pure garbage, in that most model builders fail to realize that airliners have angles, so we end up with rounded blobs like the Airfix and Minicraft Boeings. I have your 737-300 kit (which is an excellent piece of work that I'd build if I wasn't so terrible at putting models together and didn't want to ruin it with my lack of ability), and the spare cockpit window section was happily grafted onto an Airfix -200. It really ends up looking great, and I have other 737s and 727s that would ideally get this treatment. As it stands now, I think it'd be wasteful for me to search ebay for DACO 737 kits just to chop the noses off! probably not much of a market, I suppose.

The -200Adv kit in this thread looks very nice, but 1/72 is way too big. I'd certainly buy a few in 1/144 if the price were right (I'd considered the Authentic Airliners kit, but I'm not paying $100 for a nineish-inch long 1/144 737).

have you ever considered selling just your 737's nose?

A good source for 737 noses is my first released 737-300 kit, the "black box" version. They show up frequently nowadays on ebay, only problem is that most people who buy these on ebay think they will find the newer "colored box" version kit inside it...

But the nose is correctly shaped on this old kit too, so you can use it as replacement parts for the Minicraft & Airfix kits, especially if you can get them cheaply.

If wanted, I can ask some modelers who got these old sprues by the dozen if they want to sell them.

Danny

angry_android, how did you come up with the price of 100$ for the Authentic Airliners 737-200 kit?

Please do not tell any lies here, and if the fuselage is too short for you, I can stretch it to what ever length you desire.

Kurt

The price off the Authentic Airliners site is 55 euros - about $70. I mean, that's a lot. I can get an Airfix -200 for $15. For such a tiny model, it's more than a bit out of my price range.

That is a lot, sure, but it is not produced in industrial quantities such as an Airfix kit, and it is made out of resin which involves a lot of hand made operations, not to mention the high cost of the resin material and its associated RTV moulds. I really do not think both kits can be compared, the Authentic Airliners simply blows off any other "Jurassic" 737 kit, the accuracy/petite detailing/friendly buildability is just that good. It is no small money but it is, IMHO, much much worth it. But I sure can understand your point of view.

Cheers, Steven

Edited by PMG Offramp