1/32 Hasegawa Canadair Sabre 6 "Black Tulip"

I just finished a 48th scale Sabre for the Living History GB so I have time for another build. My next project will be as the title of this post suggests. An interweb search will show the kit I'm starting with, if you're not sure what it looks like already. The kit has the fuselage split into four parts; LF, LR, RF, RR. The wings are the F-86F-40 wings with slats. Resin tips are included to bring the length of the wings to Mark 6 length.

No photos yet but I'm installing an Avionix resin cockpit. This is the first time I've attempted a full resin cockpit assembly. So far, I've installed the cockpit side panels and removed the plastic on the fuselage to fit the deck under the rear canopy. I have removed a tad too much plastic but nothing that's not fixable with a bit of Evergreen stock. Will post a photo to illustrate later.

The cockpit will not be truly representative of a Sabre 4 but it'll be close enough for jazz. 414 Sqn used Sabre 4's that were destined for the U.K. but due to a shortage of aircraft, the R.C.A.F. borrowed some of the 4's that were supply the R.A.F.

I'll be using Leading Edge stencils and the main marking will be CanMilAir decals as shown here:

http://www.canmilair.com/proddetail.asp?prod=507

I'm also using Scale Aircraft Conversion metal landing gear struts. Paints will be Alclad and Model Master Enamels.

Thanks for checking in and photos will be posted as progress is made. Please feel free to provide constructive criticism and comments as you see fit.

Mike

Edited by AX 365

Dude! You are a modelling machine! What's this, your third build in the last month????

I am so lame. I bow down before your greatness. :worship:

:thumbsup: BD

Between AX 365/ALF18 and phantom there will be a shortage of plastic soon...... :rofl:

Hee Hee Hee....

It's one of the benefits of working shift work. I work 7 out of 14 days; five days one week and two days the next. The cycle repeats itself. Two weeks of days. Two weeks of afternoons. Two weeks of nights. Having time off like that is very conducive to being able to complete many projects.

Having said that, no matter how hard I try, I don't think I'll ever be as prolific a builder as phantom. I think he builds in his sleep. He's probably a sleepwalker. I bet he builds and he doesn't even know it. He goes to bed at night (or in the morning) and wakes up in the morning (or in the evening) to a completed model.

Now, a setback already. I opened up the rest of the resin packaging to take a parts inventory and I've noted that one of the pieces is missing. It's one of the seat foot rests. I've searched the package high and low and the part is nowhere to be found. I just sent a e-mail to Squadron (Avionix is a Squadron Product) to see if they will send a replacement part #6. As I said in my note to them, I'm impressed with the rest of the contents but it's hard to build the assembly accurately if you're missing a piece. I await their response. Hopefully they'll provide the required piece.

Keep you posted.

Mike

Hee Hee Hee....

It's one of the benefits of working shift work. I work 7 out of 14 days; five days one week and two days the next. The cycle repeats itself. Two weeks of days. Two weeks of afternoons. Two weeks of nights. Having time off like that is very conducive to being able to complete many projects.

Mike

Nice on the Shifts..... Nights must suck though. I work a 4x4 fixed afternoons (1300 to 2340) and find that I may get some bench time when my days off are on weekdays. This Honey do list is pretty long....

If it makes you feel better due to the fact Dalton has not hired anyone in three years I only get one day off a week now (lots of overtime), or else we have anarchy at work. With 12 hour shifts I only build on that one off day a week, which will be tomorrow after the yard work, oil spraying the car and putting the deck furnature away for the winter. Don't see this changing, unless of course we are forced out on strike in January. Then I'll get some building in.

You know I have done the 32 scale Sabre twice, really prefer the 48 scale kit. The 32 scale kits never turn out as nice as the little brothers for me.

:threadworthlesswithoutpics:

For DONG:

Sabres over 2Wing

flypasthangar2.jpg

2Wing Main Hangar

2hangar.jpg

The CWH Lancaster

CWHLancaster-4.jpg

Tamiya Plamodel Outlet in Tokyo

DSC_0327.jpg

My Mid Life Crisis - 2002 Mustang - bought brand new

DSC_0233.jpg

Grostenquin Village

DSC_0695.jpg

Legends Flight

DSC_0558.jpg

1953 Newspaper Article About Uncle Guy's Death

UncleGuyCloutier.jpg

Or did you mean photos about this build? :woot.gif::whistle: <_<

Nice on the Shifts..... Nights must suck though. I work a 4x4 fixed afternoons (1300 to 2340) and find that I may get some bench time when my days off are on weekdays. This Honey do list is pretty long....

I love nights. I've never minded them. No brass hats around. It's busier. All shifts are 10.75 hrs long. Nights are 2000 hrs to 0645 hrs. Days are 0545 hrs to 1630 hrs. Afternoons are 1000 hrs to 2045 hrs. I'm pretty lucky. Mrs. AX 365 keeps the list relatively short. I shall not complain. Thanks for the note of the 434 build, my friend.

You want pics of Dalton Mcginty??????/

You'd be S.O.L if you did! I don't have any photos of Dild* Mc Ph*llus.

All seriousness aside, here's a couple of photos of what I'm starting with. They are from a previous build. I have no new photos yet.

The Box

DSC_0001-1.jpg

Scale Aircraft Conversions white metal struts

DSC_0011.jpg

Canopy Frame - some of the goodies attached in this photo will be deleted in favour of resin bits

DSC_0043.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Mike

CWHLancaster-4.jpg

Ooh, I like this one. I will be seeing this guy in a few hours as it and the CWH PBY are coming to Windsor for the day! I will get some more upclose-and-personal pics hopefully!

Looking forward to your next Sword, Mike!

Don

Ooh, I like this one. I will be seeing this guy in a few hours as it and the CWH PBY are coming to Windsor for the day! I will get some more upclose-and-personal pics hopefully!

Looking forward to your next Sword, Mike!

Don

Thanks, Don. I've managed to get a few good photos of the Lanc when she's come to Ottawa. There's certainly no mistaking the sound, that's for sure.

SWINE! You have defiled my thread. You must pay. :touche::shoot::chain-gun::gun:

Thanks, Don. I've managed to get a few good photos of the Lanc when she's come to Ottawa. There's certainly no mistaking the sound, that's for sure.

SWINE! You have defiled my thread. You must pay. :touche::shoot::chain-gun::gun:

Could be worse, its a link and not a direct photo.

Could be worse, its a link and not a direct photo.

True. But it made me feel uneasy anyway.

A few photos of what I've done so far. Not going too fast on this one...yet.

Resin pieces that have been washed in warm, soapy water and rinsed with cool water and left to dry.

Resin1.jpg

A couple of pieces that have broken off the pour stub and a second seat foot rest that I've scratched. I still haven't heard back from Squadron so I'm not holding my breath that they'll send a replacement part. Hopefully you can make them out in the small plastic baggie.

Resin2.jpg

Resin3.jpg

Resin sidewalls glued into place.

Sidewall1.jpg

Sidewall2.jpg

Turtle Deck installed along with a bit of plastic stock to repair the extra plastic I removed.

TurtleDeck.jpg

The Avionix instructions call for the intake trunking to be glued into place before the cockpit tub is glued into place so that has been done. Next up is to spray the sidewalls black and accent the switches, knobs and circuit breakers. Except for a few minor upgrades, the Mark 4s were identical to the Mark 2s, including the black cockpit.

Photos of the decal sheet in the next post.

Mike

Decals being used - CanMilAir set #507

Decals5.jpg

Decals4.jpg

Decals1.jpg

Decals2.jpg

Decals3.jpg

The main markings were initially printed with 23XXX serial numbers. Bill sent a corrected set with the correct 19XXX serial numbers along with a couple of spare AQ Sqn codes and large numbers. He is one class act.

Thanks for checking in.

Mike

Nice looking cockpit, and that intake, Im sorry you might have mentioned it, but is that kit intake, or aftermarket, just seems long for a kit, I mean they usually dont go above and beyond you know?

JMan,

It's the kit intake. The 1/32nd kit has a complete J-47 to build, if you're so inclined. The fuselage comes in 4 pieces if you wish to display the aircraft with the fuselage opened up (front and rear sections) and view the completed engine (installed in the aircraft or on a work stand). I'm taking the lazy way out and building the engine, installing it and closing up the entire fuselage.

Thanks for looking in.

Mike

The resin cockpit tub is proving difficult to install. I'm wondering if contents of the Avionix box marked Hasegawa Sabre weren't actually destined for a box marked Kinetic? The Dremel was working O/T today and the fit of the tub is getting better but work still needs to be done. I've thinned the resin and I've also had to do some thinning of the kit plastic taking great care not to go through. Fortunately I'm closing up the gun access panels so the mess created by removing plastic inside the gun bays will not be seen. I anticipated a few issues but certainly not to the extent that I'm having. Patience is the key. More photos when I've got the cockpit assembly painted and installed.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Not painted yet but I have managed to get the major pieces sanded down to a point where the fit will be relatively good. The plastic foot rest that I've scratched to replace the missing one turned out pretty well. It's a close match to the resin one I still have. The other parts (seat / tub / I/P / etc) are moulded quite well and glued into place relatively easily after only a little bit of sanding and filing.

This Sabre will be posed with the canopy open, due to the way the resin parts are moulded. I could chop a few bits off the rear deck to close the canopy but I'll leave it open. Painting should begin tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

Thanks for looking.