1/32 Hasegawa Canadair Sabre 6 "Black Tulip"

Nice! You are really tempting me to do a sword.

You know you want to. Give in to your feelings.

You've inspired me, Mike! Look what's back on the bench.

Cheers,

Don

Sweet, Don. I look forward to more updates.

Well, cockpit wise, everything is painted up and pretty well assembled.

The canopy. Photo 1 is stock set up and photo 2 is resin set up. You can see what has been removed from the stock set up to accommodate the resin bits.

DSC_0043.jpg

CanopyRail1.jpg

CanopyRail2.jpg

Rear Deck

RearDeck.jpg

The cockpit tub. Although it's hard to see in the photos, the control column and handle are WAY out of proportion. The handle extends almost to the top of the IP coaming and the handle, while accurate, is too big. Such is life. I can live with it. Next time, I might use the kit supplied control column for proper perspective.

Cockpit1.jpg

Cockpit2.jpg

Cockpit3.jpg

Closed up for effect. Not glued together. I still have to add nose weight.

ClosedIn1.jpg

ClosedIn2.jpg

ClosedIn3.jpg

That's it for now. Her Nibs and I are headed away for the weekend to New York City to celebrate our 24th anniversary that passed earlier in the week.

Thanks for looking in folks. As usual, constructive criticism and comments are always welcome.

Mike

The cockpit tub as been glued into place as have been a couple of weights. I've also cut off the plastic wingtip extensions to facilitate the resin wingtips to shorten it to Mk 6 length. No photos but I will post a few more as more progress is made.

Here's the forward fuselage and cockpit area glued together. In the second photo, you can see one of two steel fishing weights glued into place on top of the intake runner. I've also glued the gun panels in place.

FinishedCockpit.jpg

NoseWeight.jpg

Here the speed brake doors have been glued in place.

ClosedSpeedBrakes.jpg

The wing tips have been sawed off to accommodate the resin tips.

ClippedBottom.jpg

ClippedTop.jpg

This kit comes with the later finned style drop tanks. To my knowledge, the Mark 4 never flew with these style drop tanks. So I ordered, from Gordo at Sprue Brothers, a set of correct style resin drop tanks by AMS Resin. They come with the proper style pylons as well. I had to fill in the slots in the lower wings where the tabs for the kit drop tanks would attach. A pretty easy fix.

KitWingTanks.jpg

AMSWingTanks.jpg

FilledSlot.jpg

That's it for now. Will post more updates as progress is made. Thanks for looking in and as always, constructive criticism and comments are always welcome.

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

Progress has been slow with this one. Not a whole lot has been done since my last post but I have made some headway. I have glued the wings in place along with the flaps. The rudder has also been glued into place and the fuselage has been joined together. I've also done some filling and sanding. The ailerons will be glued into place and then the resin wing tips will be glued on. Unlike their 1/48 scale counterparts, the 1/32 scale resin wing tips suffer no shrinkage. They are the correct length and required no adjustments to make them fit properly.

WingsandFlapsOn.jpg

The AMS wing tanks are two piece tanks, front and back. The front half is smalled in diameter that the back half so that when the parts line up, there is a very noticeable step between the two parts. I think I'm going to go with a clean wing. That is the easiest solution.

That's it for now. Thanks for looking in and more photos will be posted as further progress is made.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

No photos but ailerons have been glued on as have the resin wing tips. I've also attached the front windscreen. Next up will be masking the cockpit and windscreen for priming. I may get the priming done on Tuesday that way it can dry / cure for a few days. If all goes well, I should be able to get the Alclad sprayed on Sunday.

Mike

• 1 month later...

It has been a while but I have finally primed this beast and will be spraying the Alclad within the next day or so...hopefully. Not sure why but this project has dragged on longer than anticipated? I guess I'm just going to chalk it up to being busy over the Christmas holidays. Yeah...that's the ticket!

Will post photos when the Alclad is on.

Mike

Mike

Looking nice. I have the same kit; was thinking of doing it up with some Leading Edge 421 Squadron decals in the European camo scheme. But... then I saw your pic of the Bagotville Museum Sabre, which is the scheme you're doing. Every time I drive by that aircraft, I wonder about doing one just like it - as you know, I've caught the Alclad bug.

What almost sealed the deal for me is the revelation that the Sabre on a stick here in Bagotville was the one that was installed at Baden Soellingen as a gate guard in the 70s! How do I know when it was installed? I was there! I remember standing in the fall fog and rain, watching them put it in place. Then there was a huge windstorm, and the Sabre nosed down into the dirt, as the pylon mounting cracked. Months later, it was repaired and reinstalled.

I had no idea that it was the one here in YBG... small world! Almost like you doing a tail number in Living History that turns out to be connected to you in an unforeseen way. Spooky.

Keep up the progress. What paint will you be using?

ALF

Mike

Looking nice. I have the same kit; was thinking of doing it up with some Leading Edge 421 Squadron decals in the European camo scheme. But... then I saw your pic of the Bagotville Museum Sabre, which is the scheme you're doing. Every time I drive by that aircraft, I wonder about doing one just like it - as you know, I've caught the Alclad bug.

What almost sealed the deal for me is the revelation that the Sabre on a stick here in Bagotville was the one that was installed at Baden Soellingen as a gate guard in the 70s! How do I know when it was installed? I was there! I remember standing in the fall fog and rain, watching them put it in place. Then there was a huge windstorm, and the Sabre nosed down into the dirt, as the pylon mounting cracked. Months later, it was repaired and reinstalled.

I had no idea that it was the one here in YBG... small world! Almost like you doing a tail number in Living History that turns out to be connected to you in an unforeseen way. Spooky.

Keep up the progress. What paint will you be using?

ALF

Those Swords really get around, don't they? That must have been a bit disheartening to see a beautiful aircraft like that go plonk on its nose. I'm glad they got it fixed up and displayed properly. I always thought this was one of the most interesting squadron markings out there. Hopefully she'll look like her real life counterpart at YBG when I'm done.

As for paint, not 15 minutes ago I sprayed her with Alclad #106 (white aluminum). Once dry, I'll do a bit of polishing and then some shading.

Thanks for checking in and the support, ALF. Greatly appreciated.

Mike

Progress has been slow with this one. Not a whole lot has been done since my last post but I have made some headway. I have glued the wings in place along with the flaps. The rudder has also been glued into place and the fuselage has been joined together. I've also done some filling and sanding. The ailerons will be glued into place and then the resin wing tips will be glued on. Unlike their 1/48 scale counterparts, the 1/32 scale resin wing tips suffer no shrinkage. They are the correct length and required no adjustments to make them fit properly.

WingsandFlapsOn.jpg

The AMS wing tanks are two piece tanks, front and back. The front half is smalled in diameter that the back half so that when the parts line up, there is a very noticeable step between the two parts. I think I'm going to go with a clean wing. That is the easiest solution.

That's it for now. Thanks for looking in and more photos will be posted as further progress is made.

Mike

Mk4s flew with the 100 gal.combat tanks,see photo.

19458.jpg

Thanks for the info and photo, James. As I've decided to go with a clean wing, it's kind of academic (not your info but the size of the tank) but I appreciate you setting the record straight. :thumbsup:

More progress has been made although no photos like I said I would in a post not long ago. The Alclad is on and the anti glare panel has been masked and painted flat black. I've masked the gun blast panels and the exhaust opening for the Alclad steel. I'm going to wait a few days before spraying it. I'll do it at the same time I spray the steel on the 48th scale Sabre I'm doing for the National Reserves GB. I hope to get to it by the weekend or early next week. I just sprayed the first coat of primer on the 48th scale jet and I'll do a second coat this afternoon.

Thanks for looking.

Mike

Photos of the paint applied. Only a few more things to paint and then the stencilling can begin. I won't start that until Monday at the earliest as I have to work afternoons / evenings on Fri, Sat and Sun.

PaintedTop.jpg

PaintedBottom2.jpg

CanopyFrame.jpg

Thanks for looking and as usual, comments and constructive criticism is always welcome.

Mike

Photos of the paint applied. Only a few more things to paint and then the stencilling can begin. I won't start that until Monday at the earliest as I have to work afternoons / evenings on Fri, Sat and Sun.

Thanks for looking and as usual, comments and constructive criticism is always welcome.

Mike

Couple of points(you might not like them); the ailerons hinge line went all the way to the wingtip. The wingtip was the forward section and the aileron tip matched that behind; and,

that raised panel on the fuselage top was not on any Canadair Sabre(I know I've mentioned that on before)

I see its mostly painted so I figure thats the way things may stay. No problem.

Hate to be a Sabre rivet counter(can't help myself, you see) Nice to see you filled in the pylon slots, cause they were in the wrong location anyway.

Cheers, Tony

Edited by Snowbird3a

Couple of points(you might not like them); the ailerons hinge line went all the way to the wingtip. The wingtip was the forward section and the aileron tip matched that behind; and,

that raised panel on the fuselage top was not on any Canadair Sabre(I know I've mentioned that on before)

I see its mostly painted so I figure thats the way things may stay. No problem.

Hate to be a Sabre rivet counter(can't help myself, you see) Nice to see you filled in the pylon slots, cause they were in the wrong location anyway.

Cheers, Tony

Tony:

Thanks for stopping by an making your observations. The aileron bit and the vent on the top of the fuselage are limitation of the parts in the kit.

For the vent, that part is a separate piece and a very tiny piece of the fillet for the vertical stabilizer is moulded onto the vent piece. I fear that sanding the hump off that vent to make it flush with the top of the fuselage would cause that piece of the fillet to be acidentally sanded off. I have the same problem with the Italeri and Kinetic kits.

As for the ailerons, that's a problem with the resin wingtips supplied to shorten the wings to make it a Sabre 6 wing instead of a slatted wing with the 12" extension, like the F-40 wing. The resin tip is one piece. I contemplated separating the part at the aileron line but again, it's something I can live with. I suppose I could have scribed the line in the resin piece a bit deeper but I didn't. Also, the aileron on the kit is a separate part, not moulded in like in the Italeri or Kinetic kits.

These two 'annoyances' are the reason why when people post topics like "What is on your manufactuer's wish list?" and I always answer, "A proper Canadair Sabre 2, 5 and 6 with all the proper vents and wingtips, etc. Apparently nobody is listening to me...sigh...

• 1 month later...

Painfully slow progress on this one. I've got most of the Leading Edge stencils on. This was done over the last couple of days. As per Bill at CanMilAir's instructions, I've applied a coat of liquid decal film to the main marking. Having made the mistake of not heeding this warning in the past, this top coat is essential. I should be able to get the main markings on tomorrow. After that, I'll post a few teaser photos before sealing with Future.

All the stencils are on and many of the main markings are on. I really like the CanMilAir decals as they are extremely thin and they settle down really well over raised or recessed panel lines, etc. Here are a few shots of the progress so far.

Resin cockpit with front windscreen and other items installed

TopCockpit_zpsc05e7092.jpg

Same view but higher shot to show wing stencils. I heeded snowbird's advice on sunsequent builds and I have angled the fuel filler stencils on the wings to the orientation of the main spar. Thanks, Tony

Decals-Wings_zps0a405c7a.jpg

The squadron crest and the unique markings at the nose and on the vertical stabilizer

Decals-LF_zps5bb0d977.jpg

Decals-RR_zpsb46b099f.jpg

Decals-RF_zpsff4f7347.jpg

Decals-LT_zps041417c3.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to stop and have a look.

Mike

Almost finished. All decals are on. Only a few minor doo-dads to be attached (pitot tube, canopy, horizontal stabilizers and gear door retraction arms). With any luck, I should be finished this build this afternoon or tomorrow. I'll send the first set of photos to Bill at CanMilAir (as is my custom) and then I'll post them here.

Mike It looks great so far!!!

:cheers:/>

Emil

Very nice, think its the first 414 Sabre I have ever seen.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the support.

Well...here she is, finished.

Done-LF_zps91ef6236.jpg

Done-Left_zps882ba484.jpg

Done-LR_zps55fe5981.jpg

Done-Rear_zps99f8a1c1.jpg

Done-RearTop_zps69b6254d.jpg

Done-RF_zpsb9b44819.jpg

Done-RR_zpsedb376ad.jpg

DoneFront_zps15d1b6db.jpg

To all who stopped by to have a look and to leave feedback, thank you. I really value your opinions and thoughts.

Mike