Most effective methods I've tried:

1. Easy-Off Oven Cleaner

2. Fingernail Polish Remover (be aware, the type with acetone can soften and even disolve the plastic, so effect minimal exposure).

Never tried bleach since the smell makes me sick. Vinegar makes a nice salad dressing, but is totally useless for de-chroming model parts.

cheers

Old Blind Dog

I uses bleach in a Tupperware container just make sure to wash the parts with soap and water when the crime comes off also make sure it's just regular bleach with no floral smelling stuff added to it.

I uses bleach in a Tupperware container just make sure to wash the parts with soap and water when the crime comes off also make sure it's just regular bleach with no floral smelling stuff added to it.

I just dechromed an entire sprue with Purple Power:

http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=253767&view=findpost&p=2408384

As Netz said, you can re-chrome with Alclad Chrome lacquer over Gloss Black. It will look better, be easier to use (no plating to scrape off for gluing), and show detail better.

Edited by dmk0210

Bleach works for removing the chrome, but in my experience, it doesnt remove all of the chrome, and it doesnt remove the clear coat thats applied to the plastic prior to chroming.

THe method I like is to put the parts in a gallon zip lock bag, and then spray Easy Off into the bag onto the parts and then seal the bag. Takes about 30 minutes, and the plastic is completely clean.