Rust colored exhaust pipes for a Merlin

Being a "Jet Guy" I know how to paint and weather a jet engine fairly well, but now I need to paint the short exhaust stacks coming out of the sides of a Packard Merlin for my current P-51D build- and I don't really know what to do. What sequence of painting and weathering do you guys employ? I was thinking of painting the stacks black, followed by a thin coat of rust colored enamel, then dry bush some sooty pastels to get the rough weathered look. Any tips out there on what the best method would be? Pics would be nice too.

TIA

I'm with Bruce, go easy on the rust. If you're airbrushing, I'd use a Burnt Metal metalizer. If brush painting, probably one variant of steel or another. I use Modelmaster paints, myself, so I've just use their "Steel" paint. I'm not sure what's out there from other manufacturers.

I paint mine in a reddish-brown colour mixed with a dash of aluminium, then when good and dry rub in graphite ie ground pencil lead. Gives a convincing (to me, anyway) dark colour with a metallic slightly "burnt" sheen.

Here is a close-up of the exhausts on packard Merlin( Its on a spitfire but its till a packard). AS you can see, they aren't really a rust colour at all.

003.jpg

That said, I usually paint mine with a base coat of jet exhaust, then a VERY thin layer f rust to give it a bit of that brown colour, then dry bush a bit of black, and steel to give it some depth.

Here is what mine look like before weathering. I don't seem to have a good shot of any of mine after they are done <_<

134.jpg

Sean

Edited by martin_sam_2000

How's this boys? Sorry if the pics don't show all the fine detail. From the top side....

finalengine8.jpg

And the full side, showing the exhaust staining better. Yes, the seam lines belong there.....

finalengine13.jpg

Edited by chuck540z3