Best 1/48th F-100

Once again, Monogram wins if you want a career rather than a modelling project. But there are some gorgeous builds of this venerable kit, and it is worth all the work.

Just waiting for the Legend cockpit from Lucky Model (free shipping!) for mine...

Accuracy: Monogram by a mile. You can put every bit of resin and photo etch available on the Trumpeter kit, and it still won't be as accurate as the Monogram kit, and by the time you've finished installing all of that aftermarket, you could have put the same effort into the Monogram kit and had a better model. The trick to the Monogram kit is to cut off the stabilators and build the fuselage without the wings. This makes it easier to clean up the seams on the aft fuselage and really reduces the ugliness of the seams forward & aft of the wing. The wing pulls the sides of the upper fuselage half in, which causes the nasty seams on the sides. You'll still need some filler, but not much. Split the 1-piece wing in half & add the wings like you would most other kits. I made a spar with some brass tube, but I'm not sure that was really necessary.

Easy to build: Trumpeter. Can be identified as an F-100 from across the room. There are old posts here and one in the Jet Aircraft Tweaks section over at

W W W . Z O N E - F I V E . N E T (Do we really need this redirecting childishness?)

The same can also be said about the 1/72 F-100D & F. The AMT F and Italeri, Revell, & ESCI Ds are all better and less expensive than their respective Trumpeter counterparts.

Chippwho: Watch out for the Legend pit. The deck behind the seat is too long and pushes the cockpit tub so far forward the seat interferes with the instrument panel. Also consider replacing the instrument panel with the kit panel of one from the old Eduard set, and lower the cockpit floor and replace the seat with one from AMS Resin.

Cheers!

Ben

Edited by Ben Brown

Ben, many thanks for the advice on the build -I'll follow that. Regarding the Legend 'pit, I heard about this (I think the old Black Box one had a similar problem?) In any event, if I can't do anything with it after prolonged torture, I'll toss it and move on!