The Bae Hawks and his weapons

Hi to all.

I´m starting to build my 6 Bae Hawk model kits in a row. I have four T.1 and two Mk.100. The question here is that I am looking for the schemes and the weapon load. I find a pletora of paint schemes, but the weapons load are only two or for AIM-9...

Also, I found a Mozambique aircraft with bombs, but that´s all...

Do you know if the australian birds loads laser bombs or mavericks? Do you know where to find some pictures with loaded Hawks?.

Thank you.

I have seen a pic of an RAF Hawk carrying a Sea Eagle anti ship missile on the centerline. Course it probably was only a trial fit. Hawk's can

carry a useful warload, a gunpod under the centerline, RAF hawks used to sometimes fly with Matra rocket pods when they wore cam colours. They can

also carry drop tanks (not that the RAF use these tho) I have seen a pic of the later Hawk 100 series carrying Sparrowhawl/Skyflash missiles.

Also I know it's probably not in your remit as it were but the single seat Hawk 200 has been seen with a stack load of snake eye retarded bombs.

----------------------

I have seen a pic of the later Hawk 100 series carrying Sparrowhawl/Skyflash missiles.

Are you sure they were Sparrows / Skyflash on a Hawk 100? I only ask because the jet doesn't have a radar and therefore no way of launching and guiding those weapons.

Sidewinders, yes, they can be carried, but Sparrow / Skyflash I'm not so sure about.

Mozambique does not have Hawks and has never had them.

In Sub Saharan Africa Zimbabwe and Kenya have / had some of the early export versions of the Hawk Mk1 and South Africa has the new version called Bae Hawk 120.

Zimbabwe Hawk http://saairforce.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1936&start=45

SAAF Hawk: There is one pic with a precision guided bomb but not loaded on the aircraft

http://saairforce.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4194&start=45

Edited by gregair

G'Day Diego

I'm far from an expert but the Australian Hawk 127's are fairly boring with weapons carriage.

The only real stuff you see on them will be AIM-9 CATM with or without fins, fuel tanks on the wings, and British type practice bomb dispenser.

On occassion I have seen mk82 snake eye carried as 2x single bombs on the outboard pylons that is about as exotic as they get I'm afraid.

Definitely no GBU on the Hawks they have no laser to designate and the Hornets and F-111/Super Hornet shouldered all that strike responsibility. Our Hawks are used for Pilot conversion to fast jet ops without heaps of Air to Ground work so that which is on the course is done with the BDU type practice bombs for the most part and occasionally mk82 family dumb bombs for some training.

As yet the RAAF does not use Maverick on any of it's Aircraft. I believe it may have been trialled on the original Hornets years ago but never adopted.

Hope that is of some help

Cheers

Cairnsy

If a Hawk can mount a GBU on a pylon, it could carry it as long as somebody else designates the target with a laser. The RAF did that with the Tornado and Buccaneer pairs during Desert Storm and I believe the Marines did that with their Harriers during Iraqi Freedom (one bird designating with a pod and the rest all armed with bombs).

Well

I wonder someone explain the use of this SAAF Black & Orange secret weapon !!!!

20120421_EOS500D_087503.jpg

Also wondering if someone here can also provide a SAAF BAe Hack color scheme and the corrections to Italeri kit in 1/72 scale

Best modeling

Armando

Edited by RAGATIGER

Hi RAGATIGER

The black and orange weapon is for "dissimilar combat training" :woot.gif:

But more seriously....

Lots of pics of SAAF Hawks here: http://saairforce.co.za/gallery-and-media/43/hawk

And you will get any other help you need on the SAAF forum here: http://saairforce.co.za/forum/viewforum.php?f=12

Edited by gregair

Well, thank you all for your responses. I allways see the Hawk like an armed trainer, and feel (maybe wrong) that the aircraft can carry much more weaponry than what are shown. Seeing the evidence, I decide to go whit the following options:

-Fujimi Hawk T.1 English all black trainer

-Airfix Hawk T.1 English green and grey wraparound with Sea Eagle, 2x AIM-9 and 2x drop tanks

-Italeri Hawk T.1 Rodhesian, with 8x Mk.82 and gun pod

-Italeri Hawk 100 Australian, with 2x AIM-9, 2x Drop tanks and gun pod

-Airfix Hawk 100: not decided yet...can you give me your opinion?

Thanks to all

Hi RAGATIGER

The black and orange weapon is for "dissimilar combat training" :woot.gif:

But more seriously....

Hi Gregair

In slang spanish that kind of dissimilar combat training is called ^wild wrestling and the bettings are mask against scalp !!!!!

mask because the rubber mask

anyway PG18 joke

nice day

Armando

-Airfix Hawk T.1 English green and grey wraparound with Sea Eagle, 2x AIM-9 and 2x drop tanks

It's your model, of course, but Sea Eagle was never carried operationally on Hawks. If you don't mean to represent an operational load on your kit, that's perfectly fine, of course.

For a grey / green wraparound one, I'd personally go with centreline gun pod and 2 x Matra rocket pods.

Cheers,

Andre

Are you sure they were Sparrows / Skyflash on a Hawk 100? I only ask because the jet doesn't have a radar and therefore no way of launching and guiding those weapons.

Sidewinders, yes, they can be carried, but Sparrow / Skyflash I'm not so sure about.

Oops my bad you are right, I went and had another look, it was the Hawk 200 that was carrying the Skyflash.

---------------

Also AFAIK UK Hawk T1's don't carry/use drop tanks either, but again it's your model.

-----------

Edited by barkin mad

You could also look at what some of the BAe Hawks carry at airshows - more choice of weapons and colour schemes there.

The company-owned planes may show weapons they want to sell.

Regards,

Gerard

Also AFAIK UK Hawk T1's don't carry/use drop tanks either, but again it's your model.

-----------

One did, it was a trial fit for which they activated the unused (by the RAF) outer pylons. The Sea Eagle trial was a bit of sleight of hand because I belive the aircraft couldn't land with the missile, and had to drop it beforehand.

Finnish Hawks can also carry the R-60 (AA-8) "Aphid". It could be an interesting variation to build.

They also carry a centerline reconnaissance pod at the same time, although that's probably of no interest to "most" jet modellers. <_<

It's how I will be doing my Tamiya 1/48 Hawk, as soon as I can source the decals.

Larry