Mig-25 and Sukhoi-30MK

Well, LOL...after I quit hitting enter, I'm ready to start. I've been threatening to start building again....and I never do one build at a time. Just too attention deficit I guess.... so, I'm doing a few different kits and I'll eventually break it into separate subjects but for now, I've started doing a couple of Russian fighters. One is the Academy SU-30MK (1/48) which I'll show you some of the cockpit. I liked when I got the Wolfpack cockpit, right up to the point I tried to paint it. The detail was too flat for me. So I took the kit cockpit, added some odds and ends to it and did that one (just to get back up to speed. I'll get back to the big screens but for now I just used black.

As for the MIG-25 (Revell 1/48), there have been two great articles in here on what to do to make this kit a little more accurate. I'm using all of the drawings that have been posted and I'll start posting what I do on a more step by step basis but I really wanted to get back in here and post stuff again! Its only been about 3 years and I've been antsy to build again! So, hope you all like!

img0362ap.jpg[/img]

Edited by cabo91

Try again

img0361sr.jpg

What I did here was to cut the wings to the right shape based on the drawings that were posted for two other Mig-25 Buildups. I cut the wing fences off and filled in those areas with strip styrene and super glue. Then I sanded off all of the old detail so that I can put new detail onto it. I also cut the flaps and put slots in the front so that I could slide them into the wings when I'm ready

img0362ap.jpg

I cut all of the tail pieces to shape. Then I sanded off all of the detail I saw some really good scribing and rivet detail on a link from a Japanese buildup article.

img0373xe.jpg

Cut out the upper intake doors and cut the inner walls for the intakes. I've seen both shapes but the ones that look like batwings seem to be the correct ones so I'll go with those

img0369c.jpg

Took out the intake mounts, filled them in with styrene. I'm going to sand those flat. Then add more strip to mount the intakes

img0367ce.jpg

The wingtip pods. I found the correct diameter styrene rod, and tipped them with AMRAAM heads from Hasegawa kits.

img0265kf.jpg

This Cockpit is from the Academy SU-30MK....I'm also working on this kit

Nice start to your Foxbat. Can't wait to see more. I've been slowly fiddling on little bits of mine (mainly gear doors) and trying to recreate all my molds that were destroyed in my move last summer. Maybe this will be the encouragement to get mine going again full time.

Cheers,

Dave

Nice start to your Foxbat. Can't wait to see more. I've been slowly fiddling on little bits of mine (mainly gear doors) and trying to recreate all my molds that were destroyed in my move last summer. Maybe this will be the encouragement to get mine going again full time.

Cheers,

Dave

You too??? That's what happened to me! Lost a ton in our move. Anyway, between you and the other MIG-25 build I've got tons of material to work with so thanks for paving the way. That was some major inspiration on your build but I hope you can continue cause I want to see the finished kit.

Cheers,

Dave

Dave, I remember you made those intake plugs (which sort of looked like the real intakes) Did you stick with that idea on your Mig? I was going to go for that same idea on mine after looking through the walkaround shots someone had posted on your build article.

I will be following these with interest. I remember your "humpback" (9-13) Mig-29 build well. Maybe you can now look into doing a 9-19?

Hey Kursad! Good to hear from you. Which is the 9-19? Just curious...

You're brave... that Mig-25 kit is a really DOG! Keep going dude - I'll be watching!

Tell you what, Cy.... this kit is a dog!!! You are right. Its fun doing all the modifications on it but I miss my garage... there was so much room in there to do all of this stuff. On top of which I did the same thing I used to do....started a bunch of projects at once.

Cool thing on this one is that there are a bunch of build articles in here and a couple of other sites that give some great input.

Dave, I remember you made those intake plugs (which sort of looked like the real intakes) Did you stick with that idea on your Mig? I was going to go for that same idea on mine after looking through the walkaround shots someone had posted on your build article.

If I am thinking correctly, I made the intake trunking to the point where the nose joins the main fuselage and then the compressor fronts sit on a plate with a divider between them set back towards the wheel wells. The way the trunking is in the actual plane goes, it raises up on the bottom and then drops back down, so the effort to build the complete trunking wasn't going to be worth it.

Cheers,

Dave

If I am thinking correctly, I made the intake trunking to the point where the nose joins the main fuselage and then the compressor fronts sit on a plate with a divider between them set back towards the wheel wells. The way the trunking is in the actual plane goes, it raises up on the bottom and then drops back down, so the effort to build the complete trunking wasn't going to be worth it.

Cheers,

Dave

Thanks, I went back and saw your second go at it this afternoon, last night I went ahead and took a resin copy I made of an Aires flame tube (something large, either the F-14 or the B-58) and dipped it in boiling water then forced it into shape... It works well for the intake section but it's way too big where the fan blade would be...In your pics it look like you took fan blades from an SU-27 kit... if thats the case I think I'm just going to follow your lead.

Oh Nothing is quick anymore... Got gigs almost every weekend in the evenings, cross country meets for my son on saturdays and don't have all that time I used to so things just take way longer now... but I should have some updates monday or tuesday,

Not thrilled about my progress but at least there is some. I'm using two kits to accomplish this one MIG cause I knew I was going to make mistakes here and there. So far, here are some shots on light scribing of the front fuselage. I'm using a resin nose from Fru-fru models so I'm not worried about the area from the front of the cockpit to the radome. That is all coming off. The ring for the burners got sanded and squared off so that I could build it up to match the rear fuselage and add some sprue to it to also even up to the burners once I get them worked in.

img0512iz.jpg

img0511u.jpg

img0371omg.jpg

That's a great start!! I'm happy to see that you've chosen the Fru-Fru nose. Also I have it and want to see how it fits.

I'll be sitting here waiting for new pictures!

cheers

Juan

I measured it to a second kit that I was using and it looks like it will match up pretty nice. The only thing is that I will drill some holes in the resin and try to fill the plastic parts with putty so that the radome will stay on securely. Thats one large piece of resin.

Thanks, I went back and saw your second go at it this afternoon, last night I went ahead and took a resin copy I made of an Aires flame tube (something large, either the F-14 or the B-58) and dipped it in boiling water then forced it into shape... It works well for the intake section but it's way too big where the fan blade would be...In your pics it look like you took fan blades from an SU-27 kit... if thats the case I think I'm just going to follow your lead.

I think my compressor faces were from a Revell Tomcat kit...but, heck it might have been a Su-27...it was only three years ago or something :). My flame holders in the exhausts were from a Kopro Su-7 kit (resin copies).

Cheers,

Dave

Edited by parche

I think my compressor faces were from a Revell Tomcat kit...but, heck it might have been a Su-27...it was only three years ago or something :). My flame holders in the exhausts were from a Kopro Su-7 kit (resin copies).

Cheers,

Dave

Thats good to hear... before I moved I went crazy casting resin copies of everyting. I have SU-22 tubes from Cutting edge which are about the same size.... I also have extras from the B-1B if I just wanna be lazy and have something close to the same size. For the compressor faces I'll see what I have in my stash. I know I don't have tomcat blades but I'm sure I have something. I have extra A-10 blades that I cut out of a monogram kit... I guess if its close it wont matter too much. I'm working on the intakes currently. I really like the buildup from that guy Mas... He ended up using a lot of sheet styrene for wings and tails and stuff. I have a bunch leftover if I want to get overly creative with this thing

Ahh...good morning! (well, for me it is!) Anyway, I have a minor update. I did some scribing and riveting on the intakes. The reason is that I want to get them as complete as possibls since there is a lot of Photoetch that goes inside of them and once its installed, I prefer to mess with the intakes as little as possible. So I'll still have to put some more styrene odds and ends on the intakes before the PE but this is where I am now. There are a few corrections that are gonna be needed and some of the little mistakes have been covered by CA glue but this is a lot more work than I expected...

img0595zb.jpg

img0594rh.jpg

img0595zb.jpg

Anyway, that's it for now, I'm going to a HS Football game tonight, a cross-country meet in the morning and I have a gig on Saturday night...maybe sunday during football time I'll get to more of it!