New Polish Mig-29 decals

Here's the final draft of the 1/72 version. I added the MiG-29UB "15", which was painted to commemorate G.Cpt. Krasnodebski. The sheet contains only one set of Polish stencils like the 1/48 sheet, but allows any one of the three options to be built. Coming sometime in late March.

cd72010.jpg

Edited by KursadA
  • 1 month later...

Problem with colors on 48029 decals. The gray for the badge and also for the figures is way too dark on the decal, almost the same color as the dark gray FS 36118. Color should be a light gray. Should have noticed this before I started painting the model, will now have to repaint. The color shown on your artwork is good, but the gray on the badge is really dark and makes the decal unusable. Very dis-apointed in the color goof, as everything - artwork etc is first rate. I realize now that the printed color on your decals may be significantly different than what you show in your illustrations.

Problem with colors on 48029 decals. The gray for the badge and also for the figures is way too dark on the decal, almost the same color as the dark gray FS 36118. Color should be a light gray. Should have noticed this before I started painting the model, will now have to repaint. The color shown on your artwork is good, but the gray on the badge is really dark and makes the decal unusable. Very dis-apointed in the color goof, as everything - artwork etc is first rate. I realize now that the printed color on your decals may be significantly different than what you show in your illustrations.

Sorry, I will have to disagree. I sold several hundred of these MiG-29 sheets and this is the first comment of this kind. Please check the gunship gray (FS36118) and other colors you're using, the markings are printed in the correct colors of FS36270(for the badge) and a gray darker than FS36118 for the dark regions of the portraits (I used Pantone 432). I was told that the color used to paint the badge was FS36270, which looked lighter than the color already on the aircraft as it was not weathered. As such, I specified FS36270 for the badge.

You might want to take a look at Drewe's build to see the contrast between the colors used in the tail portraits and the camouflage colors:

Drewe's MiG-29 build on Hyperscale

..and this(unfortunately unfinished) in-progress thread to see how the badge looks when applied on the camouflage(painted using Gunze's FS36270:

ch9862's MiG-29 build thread on ARC

m_15_03_zps8120bdee.jpg

As always, there is bound to be some variation between colors from different brands. Nobody can reasonably expect the colors on the decal sheet to match every brand of paint. No decal printing company does a better job of color matching than Cartograf; and I stand by my choice of colors for this decal sheet. Please take an objective look at the links I provided above. I believe the problem might lie with the paint, and you might want to try another brand. If you still believe that there is a color "goof" and the decals are unusable for your project, contact me for a refund.

Edited by KursadA

Here is a comparison of the badge against an official 2009 US Government issue FS595C fan deck. The badge was specified to match FS36270, the lighter color in the camouflage.

comparison1.jpg

comparison2.jpg

I do not have an FS 595 color fan, so I have been relying on paint manufactures colors to match colors. Used Tamiya AS 27 for the 36118 as I have for F-16's and F-15E's. The color may be a little light but reviews I have found on this color I have not found anyone calling this color as being terribly inaccurate. Between the Tamiya color and the decal, the colors are close, and will not produce the contrast between colors to make the badge show as well as it should. I will call the problem one of incorrect paint color used by myself and apologize for saying your decal is too dark. One cannot argue with Drewe's build photo, the decal looks perfect on his build. Thank you for your response to my color issue post, and please accept my apology for saying your color was too dark.

There is absolutely no need for apology; I know how frustrating it is to start painting a model and noticing that the colors do not match the decals. I should be the one to

apologize for not clearly specifying a particular paint brand and paint codes instead of simply giving FS numbers. I will pay more attention to this in my future sheets, and provide specific paint information. I am sorry if this caused any problems in your project, if you had to use or discard any portion of the decal sheet ; please contact me and I will send a free replacement immediately.

Edited by KursadA

Just wanted to say I received mine today, and these have the best instructions of any aftermarket decals I've ever purchased. I particularly liked that you include the zoom for photocopying the drawings to use as camo masks.

• 1 month later...

The 1/32 version is still waiting for its turn in the print queue-I have many finished designs, but only have time(for promotion, packing etc.) to release 7-10 sheets per month maximum (which is still a lot compared to everyone else). There has been a lot of 1/48 and 1/72 new tool releases in recent months; and those have a bit more priority. But this will definitely be released sometime before the end of the year; and possibly with portraits other than Pisarek and Feric. I think Cooper and Fauntleroy (which should be painted pretty soon) will make the sheet a bit more attractive in the US; where most of the 1/32 sales potential resides.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...