The Revell H-34 is out.

And YES folks.----------------------------- It is a new tool. it is not the old kit. It has an interior, decals for two different USMC aircraft, and it is MADE IN POLAND. I LOVE IT, a kit that did not originate in the far east. It has recessed panel lines and very fine rivet detail. There is no engine but there is some very nice detail to the rotor head. For $12 it is fantastic. I was expecting the rerun of the old 1/50th kit but it is not.w00t.gif There is only one item which I am not thrilled with and that is the representation of the mesh in front of the cockpit for the cooling intake. This is molded in just a bit too delicately and it is represented by a decal. This should get a nice set of photo etch. One interesting feature of this kit is that it provides the Mercury retrieval harness. One of the decals the kit comes with is for "Hunt Club" the aircraft which was unable to retrieve MR-4 Liberty Bell-7. Since I am also into 1/48 rockets and am in the process of building a collection of Mercury spacecraft, this will be a nice model to go with it. I paid $48 for the four kits. This beats the pants off of any other H-34 kit out there. Since I am not a modeler that likes to display his aircraft all opened up this is a great kit.

I was expecting the rerun of the old 1/50th kit but it is not.

Huh? Are you confusing the circa 1955 Revell 1/48 (not 1/50) H-19? The H-34 is a totally different airplane. The Revell H-34 kit came out in the early 1990s and AFAIK that's the kit that's been reissued. Despite the fact that the product development director for Revell Germany told me with words from his own mouth at IPMS/UK in 2007 that the molds had been irreparably broken on that kit (why some people think I had any reason to make that up is utterly beyond me)...

I have four of the H-34 kits in my hands (not the H-19) and they are new molds as i mentioned. This kit is quite a bit different than the old kit. The old H-34 came out well before the 90s. I sold one of the original boxings of that kit on eBay about a year ago for $110 and a second one which was a re-release for $89. I still have one left.

Edited by Otto

The trees on this kit look the same as the old kit but the molds have been updated. You might be right about the H-19 being the 1/50 kit I think that Revell might have taken the old H-34 tool and had it cut down and re-EDMd and re-ground. Unlike other old tools I have seen from Revell this one is flawless even though it is a bit simplistic like the old kit was. But for $12 I am not casting any stones. For $12 this thing is GRAND.

The old H-34 came out well before the 90s.

It may have been the late 1980s, but not much before 1989. I know where I was living when I bought it, and that dates it pretty closely.

Edited by Jennings

The trees on this kit look the same as the old kit but the molds have been updated. You might be right about the H-19 being the 1/50 kit I think that Revell might have taken the old H-34 tool and had it cut down and re-EDMd and re-ground. Unlike other old tools I have seen from Revell this one is flawless even though it is a bit simplistic like the old kit was. But for $12 I am not casting any stones. For $12 this thing is GRAND.

You're still confused. There has only ever been one 1/48 (not 1/50) H-19 and one 1/48 (not 1/50) H-34 made by Revell. The H-19 is from the mid-1950s, and the H-34 is from the (very) late 1980s or early 1990s. That's it. There ain't no more.

Gee, the molds have been updated? Sorta like the molds might have been damaged and repaired, eh? Sort of like *exactly* what the product development guy from Revell AG told me from his own mouth at Telford in 2007. He said the molds for the H-34/Wessex had been damaged. He said at the time, damaged beyond repair, which accounted for the fact that the H-34 and Wessex had never been reissued as of 2007 since they were first done. But perhaps he was later to find out that repairs *were* possible, and the molds *have* been repaired in Poland, as it now says on the inside of the fuselage halves, eh? Perhaps, just possibly, I wasn't making that up all these years as a lot of people seem to have convinced themselves (to what end I would have made up such a story being utterly incomprehensible to me...). Nah, I've probably just been lying all these years, eh?

Edited by Jennings

The local Hobby Town here had a couple yesterday when I went by but it's $20 bucks. Good price? If so I may go back tomorrow and grab one.

That is NOT a good price. That is Full retail (19.95) Search the web and I have seen them as low as $14. At that price you can buy 3 for the price of the competitors kits. I am also sure that Eduard will come up with a detail set for it that will be nicer than the Cobra set. All it really requires is a instrument cluster and the cooling mesh in front. to make it much nicer. Vac clear parts would also be nice to have. The rest can easily be done by the average modeler for internal detail

Good news that it's so affordable, as the number of operators & potential color/markings schemes makes me want several. I just acquired the Schiffer H-34 book, and it's to drool for! I'm sure I'll also buy at least one of the Gallery kits when it becomes available.

I bought that same kit yesterday, and it's different than the first Revell kit. Much nicer detail. Was wanting them to do an engine, but they opted out of it.

gary

And YES folks.----------------------------- It is a new tool. it is not the old kit. It has an interior, decals for two different USMC aircraft, and it is MADE IN POLAND. I LOVE IT, a kit that did not originate in the far east. It has recessed panel lines and very fine rivet detail. There is no engine but there is some very nice detail to the rotor head. For $12 it is fantastic. I was expecting the rerun of the old 1/50th kit but it is not.w00t.gif There is only one item which I am not thrilled with and that is the representation of the mesh in front of the cockpit for the cooling intake. This is molded in just a bit too delicately and it is represented by a decal. This should get a nice set of photo etch. One interesting feature of this kit is that it provides the Mercury retrieval harness. One of the decals the kit comes with is for "Hunt Club" the aircraft which was unable to retrieve MR-4 Liberty Bell-7. Since I am also into 1/48 rockets and am in the process of building a collection of Mercury spacecraft, this will be a nice model to go with it. I paid $48 for the four kits. This beats the pants off of any other H-34 kit out there. Since I am not a modeler that likes to display his aircraft all opened up this is a great kit.

Otto, can you let me know what hobby shop store you get the kits for that price? Did they have online order? Thank you!

Let_models :)

(why some people think I had any reason to make that up is utterly beyond me)...

Huh, poor little persecuted thing... the world is a ghetto I am telling you :huh:

(to what end I would have made up such a story being utterly incomprehensible to me...).

You told us the same thing in reply #2 of the very same topic.

Now perhaps a 3rd time ?

Otto, can you let me know what hobby shop store you get the kits for that price? Did they have online order? Thank you!

Let_models :)

They do not have an on-line order. They are one of the LHS in the Chicagpo area and I have been going there since about the mid 70s. You must realize that Revell is owned by Greate Planes/Hobbyco/Tower hobbies. and when a hobby dealer has the Platinum statis they get 55% off and 90 days to pay. This is how they can give a good price if they want to and a REGULAR discount is 20% to anyone that walks in the door. Since I bought 4 the price was a bit better.

Huh, poor little persecuted thing... the world is a ghetto I am telling you :huh:

You told us the same thing in reply #2 of the very same topic.

Now perhaps a 3rd time ?

I don't think that is really called for.:beer4:

Edited by Otto

I don't think that is reall called for.:beer4:

Crying out that people thought he made this up either :rolleyes:.

So basically this new release features recessed panel lines and raised rivets ? That is a nice & realistic combination, is there a review anywhere ? All the ones I find relate to the 4467 or recent 4898 releases.

Cheers, Steven

sorry guys, but I don't know what you're talking about.

The plastic parts are exactly the same. I can't see any difference. The first late 1980'ies kit release also had recessed panel lines and raised rivets. As far as the Kits errors are concerned, they seem to be all still there.

Gee, the molds have been updated? Sorta like the molds might have been damaged and repaired, eh? Sort of like *exactly* what the product development guy from Revell AG told me from his own mouth at Telford in 2007. He said the molds for the H-34/Wessex had been damaged. He said at the time, damaged beyond repair, which accounted for the fact that the H-34 and Wessex had never been reissued as of 2007 since they were first done. But perhaps he was later to find out that repairs *were* possible, and the molds *have* been repaired in Poland, as it now says on the inside of the fuselage halves, eh? Perhaps, just possibly, I wasn't making that up all these years as a lot of people seem to have convinced themselves (to what end I would have made up such a story being utterly incomprehensible to me...). Nah, I've probably just been lying all these years, eh?

Interestingly, the product manager from Revell denied any demage of the tool (and I think we refer to the same person). I would rather consider the story about the demaged mould as a kind of "modeling myth", such as the Otaki C-5 Galaxy tool which is said to be fallen in the pacific...

As I promised earlier, I will be doing a 1/48 UH-34 decal sheet soon; but I need some clarification as I am utterly confused. Can someone please give the final word on whether this is a new tool or not?? Revell *never* mentioned a new or improved tool UH-34; so I am very skeptical about the claims of the Revell kit being a "new tool". Not that it is going to change any of my plans..

As I promised earlier, I will be doing a 1/48 UH-34 decal sheet soon; but I need some clarification as I am utterly confused. Can someone please give the final word on whether this is a new tool or not?? Revell *never* mentioned a new or improved tool UH-34; so I am very skeptical about the claims of the Revell kit being a "new tool". Not that it is going to change any of my plans..

Revell 85-5323 : Re-Release of late 1980s Revell 4467 and 4485

Italeri 1302: new tool (based on Wessex HU.5 2720)

Gallery Models/ MRC: new tool (different than Italeri)

Revell 85-5323 : Re-Release of late 1980s Revell 4467 and 4485

Italeri 1302: new tool (based on Wessex HU.5 2720)

Gallery Models/ MRC: new tool (different than Italeri)

Thanks, that makes perfect sense.