Mitsubishi Lancer Evo V Catalunya 1998

This is actually Tamiya's 1/10 RC Evo 5 with a 4WD DF-03Ra chassis, built as a christening gift for my two month old son, Paulus Ferdinand. Really. Not for the dad, naturally. :)

I have no previous experience with these "real" RC cars, so I spent quite many hours building this car. It wasn't very hard though, even the two-tone paint job (remember, these lexan bodied cars are painted from the inside, which makes it a bit more trickier) wasn't challenging at all.

At the moment the car runs with a stock motor and NiMh battery but, who knows, some day it might get a brushless motor and LiPos.

007-3.jpg

005-6.jpg

001-11.jpg

Edited by janman

A problem with these rally cars with buggy chassis (DF-03) is that the dirt and debris thrown by the tires stays inside the body as opposed to the buggies, where the wheels are outside the body and the body/chassis fit is much tighter. I found a suitable plastic bottle, cut it in half and after finding it wasn't enough, added mud flaps from suitable softish red plastic. Some people use a buggy body (DF-03 bodies like Keen Hawk) inside the rally car's body. I might do the same if this isn't enough.

009-4.jpg

008-5.jpg

Edited by janman

Thanks!

These Tamiya RC rally cars truly look good when finished. Apart from the chassis and the empty cockpit they are almost scale models, so nicely detailed and accurate the bodies are. If a LED lighting kit was available for this car, I would have added it. Another thing this really needs is an exhaust pipe.

Go and get one!

• 3 months later...

A problem with these rally cars with buggy chassis (DF-03) is that the dirt and debris thrown by the tires stays inside the body as opposed to the buggies, where the wheels are outside the body and the body/chassis fit is much tighter. I found a suitable plastic bottle, cut it in half and after finding it wasn't enough, added mud flaps from suitable softish red plastic. Some people use a buggy body (DF-03 bodies like Keen Hawk) inside the rally car's body. I might do the same if this isn't enough.

009-4.jpg

Having messed about with RC cars I never came up with this idea to stop crap from hitting the inside of the body!

• 2 weeks later...

...although this idea really didn't work. Basically, at all.

The mud flaps flew away almost instantly (my fault, the CA glue was a wrong choice for these materials) and the bathtub was full of stones and debris after a short drive. Now I have a Dark Impact body under the Mitsu bodywork and that really seems to do the trick, especially when I've added some silicone rubber seal around the skirts of the Dark Impact body. I've even tried driving on snowy surface and nothing gets in anymore!