PC and Risk Management gone crazy

:rofl:

Yes TT, Baby Boomers are a nostalic lot, but I don't think it's just because they're Boomers. I think it has more to do with their age, as in chronological years. I'd like to wager that you'll become more nostalgic later in life too. The oldest of them is now 66 years old and the yongest 48. Looking back I can see that I've become more nostalgic as I've aged.

:cheers:,

Ross.

did other generations have the Beatles? No? Game. set. match. Greatest generation ever :woot.gif:

Did the boomer gen. have Beethoven? Game, Set, Match, Tournament! :woot.gif:

Bill

I don't disagree. But this is how boomers see themselves. It was my job to sell to boomers and they are a large and predictable group:

Obsessed with staying young, highly susceptible to ads. CBS has figured this out, they have have show after show made for boomers. Since they are so demographically large, and they buy stuff. They get programs made just for them that further reinforce their own special feeling for themselves. Its a cycle and it produces big bucks. Some people in advertising are already getting a little nervous, because after cruising off boomers for years some are realizing that well will run dry someday, and they don't know how to sell to the following generations. If you are an advertiser its the perfect storm: a large group, with money, easy to sell to. 60 minutes a long favorite of older demographics and once a well respected investigative journalist group is now far more likely to do a softball interview fluff piece of "LeVron James" (as my boomer dad calls him) or some other sports star (that is "obscure", unless you follow the sport) than a tough report on the gov. or a corporation. They still do that of course, its just a lot more rare. If you watch the evening news, it is about 10 minutes of news and the rest fluff pieces interrupted by perscription drug ads. "hero of the week" for example. A constant reinforcement that people are good there is still a happy ending out there, ignore the first ten minutes of news.

Typically an ad that is geared at boomers is more theatrical like a play or a simple story. Man has back pain, (act I) Man feels there is no relief from the pain (Act 2, always the darkest) "But then I discovered..." Act 3 problem solved!

Ads for younger generations are either "viral" or testimonial. We don't believe your stupid back pain story, we need to see a random sample on the street try your product and go "wow cookie A is better than cookie B!!" and you can trust him because he was

I'm near on my 20th year of teaching, all in 1st and 2nd grade. This has been a very interesting discussion, one in which I'd like to add my input. Here's where education is today, in a nutshell:

-- Children have no responsibility for their learning. If they fail, it's ALWAYS the teacher's fault.

-- Parents are not held accountable for their children's learning.

-- Everyone passes. Trying to get a kid retained in the early grades is now next to impossible.

-- With the new Common Core standards being implemented, it's going to get worse...a lot worse!

I've always been told that if you complain about something, you should have some answers. Here are a few of my ideas that I think would help.

-- Have a very basic end of year skills test. If the kid doesn't pass, he doesn't move to the next grade.

-- Move to a year-round school year.

-- De-emphasize sports.

-- Find some way to hold parents and students accountable for their learning.

-- Get rid of this idea that all kids should go to college. Bring back vo-tech skills and have kids who obviously aren't college material to be tracked to these classes starting at middle school.

-- LET THE TEACHERS DO THEIR JOBS!!!!!!!!!

I can not agree more Darren. I am in my 17th year of teaching 7th and 8th grade Industrial Technology. It amazes me that there are students in those grades that can not read and write. Heck, they do not even know the alphabet. My point is, we as teachers are blamed. But how come the parents have never said a word that their children can not read and write at stage in the game. Public schools have basically become a baby sitting service here in New England. My school serves breakfast to the students. There is a city in my state that is now proposing to serve dinner to the students. People here still think that it is like when they went to school; mom was home when the kids got out of school and made sure they did their school work. That ideal is long gone. Sorry for the rant.

(except for the heads and professors making 6 figures for teaching one class)

Clearly I'm at the wrong school, in the wrong program. My class sizes have increased markedly just in the short time I've been here, and yet, I'm nowhere near "six figures."

I hear business school professors make a lot, though. Must be valuable stuff, they're teaching.