Werner's Wings Night Stalker Decals

OK so here is the deal. This project is in real danger of being cancelled. We have cut down the size of the sheet already to include the formation of the unit until Operation Gothic Serpent (Somalia). This contains EIGHT AH/MH-6s and TEN UH/MH-60s. The exchange rate is terrible right now. I've been close to pulling the trigger on the Night Stalker decals twice but the exchange rate keeps getting worse so I need more money. Now I am debating cancelling the project or at the very minimum put it on hold. I need your opinions.

I feel that the only way we can do the stencils in 1/48 and 1/35th scales is with Cartograf. They are the best in the world in my opinion.

We, me and Mason (who has worked extremely hard on these sheets), are brainstorming. One is to release the sheets without the stencils which will cut down the size considerably and hopefully lower the costs, but is that a viable option for the modeler? Without this we may be able to use Microscale. I'm not sure that Microscale can do the 'chalk' Elvis drawings and that is important to me.

The other is to shelve the project until the economy improves. Not really what I want to do.

The another is to take pre-orders. This is dangerous as it will generate the revenue but has some pitfalls such as time between purchase and delivery and people being 'impatient'. This takes a toll on me personally as I don't like to do this. There is always the possibility of someone paying and me losing the information. Until I know my actual costs it is very hard to set a price for the decals.

So far I think the whole enchilada with stencils would be around $18-20 for the 1/35th. The other sheets would be slightly less, maybe $16-18 for 48th scale. Probably $12-13 for 1/72nd as they don't have stencils and they are a smaller sheet. The 35th sheet will be at least three, more likely four or five, 6x9 sheets. One for the markings and the rest for stencils. There are some other decals that we were hoping to include like rocket pod, laser, and first aid kit markings that would also be available separately. I think we even included TOW and Hellfire markings to support the other Werner's Wings products. Of course they will be available in all three scales.

Sorry to ask these things. I want to make this happen. What do you think?

I am working on something extra special that is not a decal but really BIG. Hmmm.

Floyd

Hi Floyd.

Option A (binning the whole project) is not an option. Plus you and Mason have put too much work into this project to see it not come to fruition.

Option B (wait for the economic situation to right itself) is an option but no-one knows when that will happen. I'm prepared to wait, though.

Option C (we pay up-front and the sheets get printed) is my preferred option. If you chose this route, I'll pay for a 1/72 sheet.

Whatever you decide to do, I'm pretty sure everyone here will back you.

LD.

I've got no 160th projects in the queue right now but sign me up for a 1/35 pre-order regardless. Your work is fantastic and no one else covers the subjects that you do. Gotta support the niche vendors in this hobby. Once you figure it out, let us know and my order will be inbound.

No rush on my end. Quality takes time, I'll wait as long as needed. Also, when you finally narrow down the final list of subjects, please post some pics.

With regard to stencils, how big of an issue is this? I thought most 160th helos were overall black with minimal / no stencils. Especially the early aircraft. Certainly less markings than the regular army helos. The only stencil I saw on the AH-6C I did was a tail rotor warning arrow.

Regardless, good luck on the project!

I totally understand the apprehension with per-orders. I also agree with others that binning the project makes no sense, especially considering the time already invested.

Putting it on hold - well, that's a big question. I, personally, am perfectly willing to wait. Between pre-orders and on-hold, I say choose the option that is beneficial to your peace of mind...

That said, if you choose to do pre-orders, I'm in for a 1/72 sheet :)

Hello Floyd!

Since I like the quality and variants offered in your AH-1F decal set very much, I will definitely buy one 1/48 scale set of your NSDQ decals. Especially now that the CMK resin sets for Little Birds are available. Advance and fear not! I accept and prefer rpre-oder but can also understand if you postpone the project.

Best regards from Germany

Ian

Go with the option of just the markings and no stencils, plus definitely sign me up for a 1/35th preorder. If you look at the real thing how many birds have stencils all over them? Especially the little birds! I haven't seen any stencils besides the A/C serial number and the US army on them. DO NOT SHELVE OR CANCEL THIS PROJECT, YOU TWO HAVE INVESTED AN ENORMOUS AMOUNT OF TIME INTO THIS PROJECT AND TOO MANY MODELERS HAVE BEEN LOOKING FORWARD TO THIS RELEASE!

The best bet may be to just do the markings. The stencils would look great, but most birds don't have a lot on them. Also, there are other stencil options (at least one) if someone wants them. I would hate to see this project be cancelled or delayed indefinetely trying to do it all.

I am also in for a 1/35 pre-order if you decide to go that route.

Edited by HeavyArty

Here's my suggestion: do NOT take the preorder route that many people in this hobby have done because the risk is too great. Do a Kickstarter campaign... Go to www.kickstarter.com and read up on the process. It will protect both you and your customers. This is called "crowd sourcing" and it is really becoming a great way to do do business in this new economy.

Edited by Joseph Osborn

Here's my suggestion: do NOT take the preorder route that many people in this hobby have done because the risk is too great. Do a Kickstarter campaign... Go to www.kickstarter.com and read up on the process. It will protect both you and your customers. This is called "crowd sourcing" and it is really becoming a great way to do do business in this new economy.

Excellent advice! I am in the process of setting up my first Kickstarter project for a new (non-decal) product myself.