UH-1Mmodel046.jpgUH-1Mmodel032.jpgUH-1M001.jpgUH-1M007.jpgUH-1Mmodel047.jpg

This is my first large scale helicopter model. It's a 1/35 scale replica of a UH-1M my brother flew in as a 20 year old WO-1 in 1971. At that time he was a member of the 240th AHC based at Bearcat. This is as close as we could get based on 40 year old memories and a couple of pictures. The tail number is correct, but he could not recall the "call number" . The nose and roof were OD as were the skids; some of the other ships had black skids, and not all had the geometric design on the tailboom. The Mike models were relatively new and so I "dirtied" it up some, but didn't add a lot of wear. Anyway, I hope you like my first submission. I want to thank Ray Wilhite for all his help and photos; I would also like to thank the guy who gave me the Maddog decals, but I lost his e-mail and name.

Walt, first of all i need to calm down a bit.... ok now i can speak; first of all let me tell you its one of the most realistic 1/35 Huey i have ever seen till now, freaking awesome amazing Mike Huey, wow, wow, wow, truly spectacular build, i love it, you got my vote, i will do a UH-1M in the incoming months and hope mine turns out like yours, congratulations, now some questions: did you use the Eduard PE big ed sets? are the rocket pods scratch or did you use Fireball M158 brass pods? did you scratchbuilt the minis? what other things you add?

If you dont mind, can you post more photos??

Greetings and Congratulations!

Rod.

Edited by salvador001

Wow.... That is a fantastic build. I'd love to see some more pictures and am also curious about what you used for aftermarket stuff. Really like the weathering on the rocket tubes, it adds a very unique touch.

Congrats on a very nice job!

John

I think this maybe the very best Huey I've ever seen!! Even added the wind deflector and the interior is spot on.

gary

Wow, I'm blown away by your responses!!! Thanks so much for your kind words. I'll try to get a couple of more pictures out tonight, my lighting set-up isn't the best. I normally make 1/350th scale ships, so this is a major departure for me.

To answer some inquiries: the miniguns are from R and B Models M134 minigun set,35B123; rocket pods are from Fireball Modelworks, M-158 ; photoetch all from Eduards wonderful sets, interior, exterior and armament. Weathering is with acrylic washes and pastel chalks, easy to correct mistakes and heavy-handedness. I weathered the rocket pods by heating each brass tube over the gas range until cherry red, and then allowed to air cool; works pretty well.

If there are any other questions, I'm humbled to try and answer them. After seeing so many great models by you guys I was hesitant to post my effort, but you have made me feel really good. Thanks again for your kind words.

Walt Haynes

Wow, I'm blown away by your responses!!! Thanks so much for your kind words. I'll try to get a couple of more pictures out tonight, my lighting set-up isn't the best. I normally make 1/350th scale ships, so this is a major departure for me.

To answer some inquiries: the miniguns are from R and B Models M134 minigun set,35B123; rocket pods are from Fireball Modelworks, M-158 ; photoetch all from Eduards wonderful sets, interior, exterior and armament. Weathering is with acrylic washes and pastel chalks, easy to correct mistakes and heavy-handedness. I weathered the rocket pods by heating each brass tube over the gas range until cherry red, and then allowed to air cool; works pretty well.

If there are any other questions, I'm humbled to try and answer them. After seeing so many great models by you guys I was hesitant to post my effort, but you have made me feel really good. Thanks again for your kind words.

Walt Haynes

Walt,

While we try not be jerks around here, we don't heap on praise unless it is deserved. Trust me, your Huey is spectacular! Maybe one day I'll be able to build and paint like that.

Ray

Wow.... That is a fantastic build. I'd love to see some more pictures and am also curious about what you used for aftermarket stuff. Really like the weathering on the rocket tubes, it adds a very unique touch.

Congrats on a very nice job!

John

Hi guys! What a great replication. Look at the attention to detail... where the JP-4 ran down the side under the fuel cap. That attention to detail. I also like the rocket sight. Very authentic.

Regards, GT

UH-1M004.jpgUH-1Mmodel029.jpgUH-1Mmodel049.jpgUH-1Mmodel047.jpg

Fantastic job!! Looks like it came right out of the jungle. I especially like the fuel staining in the last pic. Great touch! And yes, more pics please!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Again, thank you for your comments. I hope the pilots out there can feel the admiration and respect I, as a former Army and National Guard flight surgeon, have for them, and tried to show in this model. Here are a couple more pics.

Walt

Walt Haynes

I'd be proud of myself for what you've presented to us here. Honestly the first photo I looked at almost seemed like it was a photoshoped pic of a real bird. I've made more than my fair share of rides in Hueys, and your's is the one that finally got the interior as used in a combat mode! (a little clean though!).

By chance, did you do a build log on this model? I'm certain that many of us would love to see how you came out it.

gary

I'd be proud of myself for what you've presented to us here. Honestly the first photo I looked at almost seemed like it was a photoshoped pic of a real bird. I've made more than my fair share of rides in Hueys, and your's is the one that finally got the interior as used in a combat mode! (a little clean though!).

By chance, did you do a build log on this model? I'm certain that many of us would love to see how you came out it.

gary

Thank you for your kind words. I tried to make it as much like the aircraft my bother flew as he could recall. They removed the padding on the rear bulkhead, and also on some of the roofs, on certain ships. Also, I think they flushed out the cabins when they became too dirty, so I tried not to overdo it. No, I didn't do a build log; photography is not my thing, so I waited until finished to take pictures. I would be happy to answer any questions, though.

Walt

i will do a UH-1M in the incoming months and hope mine turns out like yours

Rod.

Rod,

Look forward to your Mike. Will it be an El Salvadorean AF helo? Those are especially cool with the sugar scoop and CARC paint job.

I'm loving this build, the more I look at the pics, the more cool details I am finding.

I wonder if FlightDoc remembered to show bare metal on the feed tray cover of that M-60? :)

On an unrelated note, does anyone know if there is a resin set out there to convert this kit to the TOW armed version used by the US in late 1972? That would make for a very unique model.

Edited by 11bee

Hi John, yep it will be a Salvadorean M with CARC paint, M21 system, M158 pods, and the anti strella IR exhaust. Early Mikes and Hotels came to El Salvador without any Countermeasures but when the Communist guerrillas started to use SAM missiles, with direct order of U.S. military advisors and salvadorean personnell, every later H/M came with countermeasures, even some jet fighters were fitted with ALQ pods and flares. Im pretending it to build mine with the Eduard Big Ed, Fireball M158 brass pods, RB model miniguns, and the resin IR Exhaust. Im just hoping mine to turn out like this beauty.,(by the way, can someone tell me if the Fireball ASE IR exhaust can fit in the Academy/MRC Charlie?)

The problem is that this kit is no longer available, but you can still find it in E-Bay(thank god). Dont know why Academy/MRC cut out the production of the best Huey in all scales, a shame..

Thanks John.

Rod.

Edited by salvador001

Hi John, yep it will be a Salvadorean M with CARC paint, M21 system, M158 pods, and the anti strella IR exhaust. Early Mikes and Hotels came to El Salvador without any Countermeasures but when the Communist guerrillas started to use SAM missiles, with direct order of U.S. military advisors and salvadorean personnell, every later H/M came with countermeasures, even some jet fighters were fitted with ALQ pods and flares. Im pretending it to build mine with the Eduard Big Ed, Fireball M158 brass pods, RB model miniguns, and the resin IR Exhaust. Im just hoping mine to turn out like this beauty.,(by the way, can someone tell me if the Fireball ASE IR exhaust can fit in the Academy/MRC Charlie?)

The problem is that this kit is no longer available, but you can still find it in E-Bay(thank god). Dont know why Academy/MRC cut out the production of the best Huey in all scales, a shame..

Thanks John.

Rod.

Sounds like a winner. As far as the Fireball toilet bowl, I thought I read that it was a bit too large to fit the 1/35 Dragon UH-1H so it would probably be the same w/ your kit. I used the Cobra suppressor on my 1/35 Huey and it fit nicely.