future as a gloss finish doubt

hi,

i finished painting a fujimi ford GT 40 using zero paint custom made colors blue and orange enamels,both flat.I then decided to to use "Klear" as a gloss before decaling mixed with a small amount of 96% alcohol. a day later i noticed a difference between the the two main body parts,the front end i did not gloss looked much lighter in color than the glossed back engine cover,its darkened slightly the color and it has lost its very light blue original Gulf color .you see that clearly when you put them together for comparison.can someone tell me what am i doing wrong and should i try a solvent gloss ,humbrol is available in town as well as the acrylic and expensive Newton brand.

Edited by amin

Putting any type of gloss coat over a flat paint will virtually always darken the color a bit. In real life, those paint colors would have been single-stage (I'm guessing, since it was the 60's) and would have been glossy coming from the spray gun. I would suggest just carrying on and clear coating the remaining parts so that all the colors match.

thats a shame cause the flat looks spot on while when i compare what ive sprayed to images on the web the difference is evident,its gone slightly towards the grey end.further i cannot leave it flat,since the color is really dead flat.

Brighten the room you're in and the colors will probably look closer. Flat tends to reflect the color more due to the nature of the rough flat surface. Where a smooth surface will blend in light and colors from the surrounding area and thus the color will look darker.

I wouldn't worry about it too much and if anything else just know next time to use a slightly lighter shade.

I know zero paints are supposed to be flat but every time I've used them they're much more of a Semi Gloss than dead flat. A lot depends on the surface before you paint when using Zero Paints. They are about the best paints I've ever used though.

i striped "the part i had futured"the paint off the engine hood and started all over again priming with gunze white 1000 followed by the paint.the next day i bought an acrylic gloss for the first time called "schmincke" made in germany and for airbrushes and i tried it on a spare sprue painted with the same color and was satisfied that there was no alteration in color after 24hrs rest.I then glossed the car and there was no change at all in shade.Its very expensive but do i want to depict my Ford Gt 40 in the right Gulf colors or not?

Edited by amin