Victor III class SSN «Proyekt 671 RTMK»

Very nice kit, highly recommended.

akula-class.jpg

Comes with photo etched parts:

05-001.jpg

The entry / exit hatch door has some ejection pin marks and some seam joints around the fins,no problem filling them in:

05-023.jpg

After a light coat of Alclad's primer:

05-064.jpg

05-049.jpg

Edited by arc01

Here is some pre-shading:

05-116.jpg

05-113.jpg

I used Floquil's Engine Black with a drop of Linseed oil for smooth flow (prolongs the drying time):

05-104.jpg

The hull after a coat of Model Master's "Russian Marking Red", which comes off more like "Carrot Orange" than "Commie Red", but here it goes:

01-018.jpg

01-014.jpg

01-013.jpg

Edited by arc01

Comes with photo etched parts:

05-001.jpg

I haven't got mine yet - but it looks great. :thumbsup:

One thing about the etched brass parts - they are great and provide scale thickness 'doors' for the masts and scopes - but.....

Why is the bridge 'windshield' etched as solid ??

It wouldn't have taken much for HB to 'cut out' the windows - providing just the framework and making it much more realistic.

I had to leave the windshield off my Severodvinsk build - after trying to paint the windows black and failing.....

Just a nit-pick in an otherwise excellent kit(s).

Ken

Thank you guys!

It would have been helpful if I read my own box before I postclosedeyes.gif.

I was looking at the Alanger kit, which is the Akula k-267, the two subs look similar and I mistakenly named this one as the Akula.

I wish I could change the title but I can't.

Spasibo, "Chernaya Akula", 377.gif

I know, the bridge windshield is a bummer, also didn't look at reference pictures before I glued it. I would have drilled out the frame, probably would have ruined it, too. )

Edited by arc01

You can change the title by clicking the "Edit" button on the first post, then clicking "Use Full Editor", then changing the title and finally clicking the "Submit Modified Post" button as you would with all edits. :thumbsup:

Also got the Alanger Akula in the stash! :D

Edited by ChernayaAkula

You can change the title by clicking the "Edit" button on the first post, then clicking "Use Full Editor", then changing the title and finally clicking the "Submit Modified Post" button as you would with all edits. :thumbsup:

Also got the Alanger Akula in the stash! :D

Thanks for the tip! I did not know how to do that.

The Alanger kit looks mighty fine also, it has some raised panels and has some "soft pillow" effect but over all it looks good to me. I have two Akulas in the stash. Shame.

Edited by arc01

I grabbed one at the local hobby store the other day. I walked in and my head damn near snapped around 180 degrees when I realized what I had just walked past next to the register. Can't wait to dive in, but I have to finish an Alanger Akula and a Hobbyboss Kilo...

Awesome work, can't wait for the finished piece...

Cheers,

dave

Thank you, guys!

Here is a small update.

I finished the hull ( I think) to my satisfaction:

02-044.jpg

02-041.jpg

02-051.jpg

Here I blended the sharp lines a little bit with Floquil's Engine Black:

03-008.jpg

04-006-1.jpg

04-007-1.jpg

04-010-1.jpg

Next I will work on the upper half, but first will let it dry over night and will seal it with a coat of future tomorrow.

Edited by arc01
  • 3 weeks later...

that is one fantastic looking sub you have there :worship:

What methods & mediums did you employ to do the weathering like that? I have never built a sub before and I picked up the Dragon Typhoon not so long ago. Obviously, I don't want it looking like its straight off the production line, so any weathering tips you could give would be hugely appreciated!

thanks for sharing your awesome work!

MH

Thank you, guys! The weathering --basically, I just ran highly thinned streaks of Floquil "Flesh" up and down the hull. Then I used ground pastel chalk thinned with Tamiya thinner for the rusty spots, tried to make it random. The hatch door was treated with Burned Sienna-Burned Umber-Mars Black artist oil mix, more or less in equal parts.

I wish I had those mags when I was finishing my sub!

Update Nov 19: I just received the first two of four mags "The Weathering Magazine." They are from Spain and they are awesome!

weathering-mags.jpg

Here is a link for USA customers. The magazine is very well produced and is worth the money. They also have digital copies.

I am one very happy modeler!

Did I mention that they have scantily clad girls holding AK-47s, usually on the second and the last pages? I didn't know in Europe girls were into weathering that much but I don't complain. )))

Edited by arc01
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...