Kinetic 1/48 T-45: first impressions

I just got my Kinetic T-45 Goshawk kit. It is not a test shot or early release; I just bought the regular kit from Lucky Model last week and paid for 3-day shipping.

Upon a quick inspection, I agree that this is the best Kinetic kit so far. The panel lines and rivet detail are very good; and moulding is first rate.

goshawk1.jpg

goshawk2.jpg

goshawk3.jpg

Overall dimensions look good according to the drawings that I have.

The options provided in the kit are very comprehensive: there are separate front IP coamings and separate instruction panels for T-45A and T-45C. I like the level of detail in the cockpit, but there is certainly room for improvement and I'm sure we will see some aftermarket cockpits. The ejection seats look pretty good to me.

goshawk4.jpg

goshawk5.jpg

goshawk6.jpg

Edited by KursadA

We get a positionable rudder, flaps, and slats; in addition to open and closed landing gear doors. This will make life a lot easier for those who want to build an in-flight Goshawk. Separate parts are provided for flap actuators in deployed and retracted positions. There is full intake trunking and a compressor face, all the way to the nozzle which is connected to a simplified "engine" shape.

The kit does not have the practice bomb dispensers commonly used by the Goshawk, but we get a travel pod.

goshawk7.jpg

goshawk8.jpg

The marking options provided on the decal sheet are both for TW-2 (Kingsville, TX) and are pretty simple line jets. The stencilling looks adequate, most of them are very small anyway.

goshawk9.jpg

I think this kit will be a winner for Kinetic, and fills an important void in the US naval aviation lineup. For those who want more interesting marking options, I (Caracal Models) have no fewer than three 1/48 sheets currently being printed by Cartograf. They will be available in the first weeks of November, and they come with a free bonus sheet for both CoNA (Centennial of Naval Aviation) T-45 special schemes! Make sure you take a look at them after you order your kit from Lucky Model:

cd48023profiles.jpg

cd48024profiles.jpg

cd48025profiles.jpg

Edited by KursadA

I think that phantomdriver is talking about the fence on top and on the bottom of each airbrake. The fences are molded on the airbrakes (I doubt it) or they are PE or plastic parts to glue ?

I think that phantomdriver is talking about the fence on top and on the bottom of each airbrake. The fences are molded on the airbrakes (I doubt it) or they are PE or plastic parts to glue ?

Scabbed on or not, the outline is Back to front... which would mean, in reality the brake would open the wrong way...........

They certainly made an attempt to depict these fences, but these are barely visible (perhaps 0.2mm in height) and they are not as prominent as they should be. At any rate, should be easily fixable with some styrene strip or a PE/resin replacement in the future.

Wow, that is a pretty big miss. I see what you are saying!

If you look at a kit piece in this order you will see...

front of jet -> big portion of airbrake -> little portion (holds actuator)-> then exhaust.

Airbrake is reversed.

I think you've missed the point....

The wedge faces forward, FORGET about the door itself, it's the recess on the fuselage that's about faced in the wrong direction

NOpe and Nope.

The kit is 100% correct in that regard. Look at the pics again and don't let the red painted surface confuse you.

And BTW, I already built mine.

gos1.JPG

I kid, I kid. This is a home meade converion I did about 3 years ago. :)

Edited by pookie

They got it right. It's not easy to see, but if you look at the top picture, you can see the outline of the actuator well. Also if you look at the inside of the brake, there is a raised area where the actuator hinges. Look for the rivets and lightening holes. This sits in that well when the brakes are closed. In the bottom picture, the rivets on the brake outline the hinge box, and pretty much match the shape of the well on the Kinetic fuselage.

If anything it's just shallow.

The wedge faces forward, FORGET about the door itself, it's the recess on the fuselage that's about faced in the wrong direction

They got it right, period. Please look at the photos carefully.

I now had more time to look at the kit, and my conclusion is that they absolutely nailed it. It's a very nice kit of an important subject, and I don't think any of you will be disappointed.

Edited by KursadA

Glad you guys like it. I put a lot of time in with Kinetic to make sure they got it right. My main concern was shape, and I think they've nailed it. Unfortunately, I was only given the opportunity to QA the kit up through the final CAD drawings and an initial look at the overall shape of a solid resin rapid prototype. I didn't get my hands on a test shot in time to help out with some of the finer details. Still, I think they did a great job overall.

The way the slats meet the intakes, the tailhook, and the tailhook fairing are the main parts I wish I could have helped them make better. Not to worry - I am working on corrections to these issues as we speak...

BTW, after three tours as a T-45 IP, just shy of 2000 hours in the airplane, and countless hours studying the finer points of the jet, the speed brakes look about right to me...

It's not perfect, but it's pretty darn nice. Kinetic's best effort to date in my (slightly biased)opinion.

Cheers,

Gabe