Knees are busted, can't do my triathlon stuff & had to pull out of my planned first Ironman in NZ in Jan (in Wanaka it was too, so I was planning to visit the warbirds museum). Very dis-heartened with it all. Not sure what I can do in the future but fingers crossed I can still do at least short races as triathlon keeps me sane.

Getting cabin fever so to take my mind off it, thought I'd do a quick build, first one in a fair while.

It will be a quick & dirty, no scratching or after-market. Not sure if I'll do it as US or RAAF version yet, can decide on that later. Might shoot for some heavy weathering. Probably the most basic kit I've ever built, but that's OK.

Box-2.jpg

Slight change of plans. I'm going to do something a bit different with this one. No after-market but will require some scratching. It's not strictly the right a/c for what I want to do, but close enough.

crash dio!!

Egyptian desert this year...

Yup, I remember when that thread first came up on ARC thinking 'great dio subject'.

Problem is I've got to convert a P40-N into a Kittyhawk Mk1a, which I'm attempting here in a half-arsed sort of way. That will just involve changing the rear cockpit window arrangement & re-shaping the tail fin (there is probably other stuff that should be done, but that's enough for me).

Anyway, I'm really enjoying fidling around with it, and it's taking my mind off triathlon & giving my poor old knees a much needed break.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Finally got back to doing a bit more on this after Xmas. I'm no longer sure this is really in the spirit of this GB, but I'll push on (it was a v basic kit!).

After looking at more video of the desert Kittyhawk I decided it needed some more scratching of open gun bays, missing wing flaps, some wires hanging out of the engine. Got it undercoated with Tamyia spraycan now, and can see a few basic flaws that need attention.

Really looking forward to trying to replicate the almost non-existant paint job.

Undercoat3.jpg

Undercoat2.jpg

Undercoat1.jpg

Can we see the damage and the recovery method?

sorry mate, I already fixed it. Basically the port tail-plane internal frame bits were all twisted (cut them off, re-built with strip of card & sprue) and the open radio hatch got all warped (stuck a small piece of card inside then built up over that with putty, then sanded back into a square shape).

the paint job is the hardest I've ever attempted. really hard to get it looking like the real weathered thing, esp in 1/72 scale. used Alclad dark alum as the base colour, but not sure it is quite dark enough. also struggled for the correct colour for the remaining green bits.

interesting this kittyhawk appeared to be green & brown, when most were the desert dark & light brown scheme?

A few pics of progress. Got to spray on the faded roundels next,will be a real challenge. Dark aluminium not dark enough me-thinks, might over-spray it with a dilute coat of dark grey?

Paint3_zps1800889e.jpg

Paint2_zps9b501211.jpg

Paint1_zps0e8dc5ee.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I remember building one of theses way back when but it resembled a glob of glue that what you are building. Looks incredible so far!

thanks mate

Here's a couple of pics of the real thing. I was dreading airbrushing the worn roundels on the fuselage, but hooked into it on the weekend & it came out ok. Sometimes it's better just to rip into these things & not over-think them!

Got a mate working on a small wooden base for me. Then need to figure out how to do rocks & sand.

HS-B3_zps337a9720.jpg

HS-B2_zpsd691cb95.jpg