Fairchild XC-120 'Pack Plane'

Did you use alclad for the NMF?

No - it's my usual rattle can of Halfords Aluminium - with a Rover silver on the engine nacelles.

I then polished the wing centre section with SNJ powder and buffed up the rest.

Halfords Clear Laquer sprayed on before and after the decals.

Ken

Stunner Ken!

Is that that Anigrand kit?

I always liked the look of the Packplane, you've nailed it!

Denzil

Hi Denzil,

Yes, the Anigrand kit - mini WIP is here

One or two minor accuracy problems (but then it isn't exactly well-known) - but the casting was superb and the fit of parts excellent.

Ken

Beautiful build! One of my earliest aviation memories was a sticker book that had this bird in it.

Funny how the concept of removable cargo containers took a while to get into reality. They just had to be sized to fit on a tractor trailer (articulated lorrie)

Beautiful build! One of my earliest aviation memories was a sticker book that had this bird in it.

Funny how the concept of removable cargo containers took a while to get into reality. They just had to be sized to fit on a tractor trailer (articulated lorrie)

During my 'research' (internet browsing :rolleyes: ) I discovered that there were THREE types of trailer developed.

The rounded shape seen in most photos - aerodynamic, but not practical for road use, a flat-sided one with curved ends and a third, shorter box-shape where the curved end doors could overlap to form a short, 43ft road trailer with flat ends.

The XC-120 was successful in its designed role - to prove the concept.

I'm not sure why the idea was not pursued - the Soviets had a similar idea with the Mil Mi-10 helicopter.....

Mi-10%20058.JPG

.... they also had box-like containers to fit under the fuselage.

Another example of the concept was the Sikorsky CH-64 'Tarhe' helicopter - used as a 'Skycrane' but designed to carry pre-loaded pods at first.

The whole area of detachable cargo pods is a fascinating subject - see Grokhovsky G-37......

1818-34.jpg

..... and Fiesler Fi-333 and Miles M-68.

Ken

Looks great Ken... but on your third photo it looks like the left prop would trim the forward gear door just a bit! :lol:

Well spotted that man....... :worship:

Both props would foul the front undercarriage if rotated.

Either the nose gear is too long, or not tall enough to clear the props.

I didn't notice until I attached the props - but something is wrong in the overall geometry somewhere..... :crying2:

I was hoping to get away with it...... but you are too eagle-eyed.

Ken

PS - I picked up the Academy US Army ambulance at a model show today - and it contains a tow tractor.

So I now have some motive power for my detached pod.

I was hoping to get away with it...... but you are too eagle-eyed.

Sorry about that bud. Still did a darn fine job of it though. Just keep the prop turned away from it like in the 4th photo where it's not noticeable. ;)