Announcing the USS Hornet Museum Archives website

Hello guys,

I am really proud to announce the USS Hornet (CV-12) Museum Department's archives is now online and open to the public.

The website's address is http://www.usshornetmuseum.org and we also started a blog "Hornet Buzz" at http://www.usshornetmuseum.org/hornetbuzz/ to announce website updates and talk about the photo collections. Please check the website and the blog regularly as we are planning to update the website with new photo collections and documents every few days in the near future.

Without further ado, here is more information about the website:

The USS Hornet Museum, along with the ship and the aircraft currently on display, maintains a vast collection of both official and personal documents, photographs and historical artifacts from World War II to the Apollo space program. With this new website, our goal is to bring this collection to the public as a free service.

We will be updating the website regularly with photo collections, USS Hornet cruise books, comprehensive walk-around photos of the ship and the aircraft on display and under restoration. We will cover various subjects from the entire service history of USS Hornet and other aircraft carriers in the US Navy, the Apollo space program and naval aviation. We believe our website will appeal not only to historians and members of the USS Hornet family but to military aviation enthusiasts and modelers alike.

In addition to bringing our archives to the public, we created this website to connect USS Hornet with her crew members and their families. We hope this website will not only allow our crew, who are still with us to connect with their shipmates, but also enable family members to find out about their relatives service on board the ship. For this, the website features a searchable database for the crew members that served on USS Hornet throughout her long career. We also wanted to enable contributions to the website from the crew members and families. They can add or update their information in the crew database and upload their photos and stories. We would like to encourage everyone to send us either digital or hard copies of photos they have of USS Hornet or other Essex-class aircraft carriers through the website.

We also would like to mention the entire website is being developed and maintained by volunteers and will continue to be a free service. As a result, we would appreciate if you would consider making a donation to the USS Hornet Museum Foundation, which is a 501c3 non-profit corporation, so that we can continue to keep this website alive.

Please send an email to admin@usshornetmuseum.org for all questions, comments and problems about the website. You can also contact us at the same email address, if you would like to make a financial or material donation to the USS Hornet Museum.

Denizp,

Very interesting site ..just had a very long look after reading your thread.

I particularly like the USS HORNET Gallery photos especially from . 1944 onwards.

It would be Amazing to be able to have a tour on the USS HORNET.but I am on the wrong side of the pond but in the future I

Will give it a thought.

AWESOME site. I think searching for crews for those who may have worked on USS HORNET is a great idea.

:thumbsup:

Good Luck with it and :punk::post1:

Thanks a lot for the support. I am currently working on a walk around section for both the ship itself and the aircraft for the website. We have a lot of Hornet veterans, who no longer can make the drive or flight to the area, and we wanted to let them experience the ship and the museum as much as possible.

As for the galleries, I don't want to give away too much but I already have about a thousand more photos that have not been seen by the public before and I will upload them as quickly as possible. We are also continuing to digitize our archives and will have a lot more stuff lined up.