revell F-14B and D

Trying to see if someone can help me figure out where to get the F-14B or the VF-2 "D"model. I was able to scoop up one of the B models here a few months back from spruebrothers but its since vanished leaving only the played out A and tankless D model of VF-31. I was happy with the fact that they finally added tanks and a/g ordnance for these two but now theyve vanished. Any thoughts?

The tanks were a bit off, but for what you got for what you paid, it was still a great alternative to some of the $60 dollar kits out there. I built one into a VF-143 bird back in May, and man, it was pretty nice. Just something about an F-14 without drop tanks that makes it look like a starved zebra. And then Revell either quit makin' em', or pulled em'...leaving us with what I consider to be...the lesser quality ones. If there's one thing that bugs me about modeling is the whole "here today, gone tomorrow" fashion of the industry. I have a hard time believing that they weren't selling more of the B and "Super D" kits, than the hashed out remains of what they keep spinning now. I want to build a Has "D" anyways just to compare it to, but after their super hornet, and F-22....I've been awe struck a bit by some of their overthought engineering. Don't get me wrong, I like a plane to look sharp, and detailed, but I shouldn't have to assemble 39 pieces to make a main mount for a gear if you catch my drift. :)

Well, if anyone else knows anything about these kits, pleae feel free to let me know. Kinda wishing I'd have picked up a few while they were still around.

I've been awe struck a bit by some of their overthought engineering. Don't get me wrong, I like a plane to look sharp, and detailed, but I shouldn't have to assemble 39 pieces to make a main mount for a gear if you catch my drift. :)Well, if anyone else knows anything about these kits, pleae feel free to let me know. Kinda wishing I'd have picked up a few while they were still around.

:jaw-dropping:

I know I've been out of the hobby for a while, but GOOD GAWD, 39 piece landing gear...............................

ok well i just talked with revell and they wont be relssed next year but in 2013 the f-14a and there d kit will be re relessed hopfull they will fix some stuff with the kit and they have have a navy guy working for them now so hope fully they will make the kit better

ok well i just talked with revell and they wont be relssed next year but in 2013 the f-14a and there d kit will be re relessed hopfull they will fix some stuff with the kit and they have have a navy guy working for them now so hope fully they will make the kit better

If they would just add the tanks, and A/G ordnance to the D kit that's out there now, it wouldn't really be such a big deal. Those were the two new features that attracted me to the B kit. I can always find aftermarket seats, and do some touch up on the consoles to transition those. Aside from the chin pods, and ECM blisters...the differences between the B and D aren't that different.

It looks like both 5525 and 5527 (B and D with Bombcat stuff respectively) are both discontinued by the manufacturer according to GP (which is pretty much the same as Revell themselves saying it since Hobbico owns Revell now). So if you want one, don't wait to get them. I guess they only did one or two production runs and didn't really have enough sales numbers to warrant continuing them. The old A and D are still around, probably because there are SO MANY in the pipeline and it will take awhile to sell them all out.

BTW, do you mean "2014" catfan?

Edited by Jay Chladek

I been out of the hobby for a while and what happens is I immediately go back to building tomcats and I look at the revell 1/48 kit and Revell would be onto a winner ONLY IF THEY WOULD DO some engraved panel lines!!!!!!!!! Redid the weaponry and That is all. If painted well the cockpit is almost as good as esin except for the seats

• 2 weeks later...

I been out of the hobby for a while and what happens is I immediately go back to building tomcats and I look at the revell 1/48 kit and Revell would be onto a winner ONLY IF THEY WOULD DO some engraved panel lines!!!!!!!!! Redid the weaponry and That is all. If painted well the cockpit is almost as good as esin except for the seats

These kits did have the new stuff. GBU-12's and 31's, which weren't spectacularly modeled, but with a little creativity, they made out pretty well. And they also had a pretty decent representation of fuel tanks, which is one of the biggest selling points on the two kits that I'm referring to. I just like the look of a Tomcat with tanks, as oppose to none.

The new releases of the Revell F-14B and F-14D were albiet the same kit, but with some upgrades.

The upgrades were poorly done in my opinion, but you get what you pay for. On the other hand, I particularly like the TARPS pod and the TCS chin pod that was included, as well as the ALQ-167 and the dual AIM-9 adapters. I thought the new shoulder pylons were junk and the originals in the kit were molded better. The main wheel hubs were somewhat of an improvement, but the weighted tires were something I've never seen on a tomcat, and I've seen quite a few fleet jets up close. The bombs were poorly done, but as scapilot said, with a little creativity they'll do the job.

I've built a few Revell F-14's and F-18's OOB (even using the kit decals) recently, and although the kit decals look poorly printed, they performed just as well as a Microscale or almost a Cartograph printed decal. Of course, accuracy goes out the window as far as the markings are concerned, but the guy I was building the kits for didn't care.

The LTS pylon and pod were crap, but again, with a little creativity can be done up nicely. Thankfully, Steel Beach has reasonable affordable replacements for the vast majority of the issues, but if you're modeling on a budget, both kits have everything you need.

CALL THEM AGAIN AND ASK THEM WHEN THEY'RE GOING TO DO A NEW TOOL C-130J! There...I feel better. Not yelling at anybody...just blowing off a little hopefulness...lol

CALL THEM AGAIN AND ASK THEM WHEN THEY'RE GOING TO DO A NEW TOOL C-130J! There...I feel better. Not yelling at anybody...just blowing off a little hopefulness...lol

LMAO..better yet, ask them when they're going to re-release the F-18F..with UPDATED parts!

That's because Revell has a new tool, recessed panel lined Tomcat kit commng out next month...

...oh wait, that was just a dream I had last night. :shoot:

Oh, and I certianly hope your right!! 1/72 scale of course!

I also had a dream last night

gary

Edited by ChesshireCat

Oh, and I certianly hope your right!! 1/72 scale of course!

I also had a dream last night

Are you sure it wasn't a nightmare about RoG's 1/72nd F-14A/D kits tooled last decade which featured *very* recessed panel lines...? ;)

Cheers,

Andre