Werner's Wings and Storm Miniatures have joined forces

Werner’s Wings and Storm Miniatures are proud to announce a joint project- the 1/35th scale MH-47E for the Trumpeter kit.

As may of you know Storm Miniatures has been working on an MH-47E project in 1/35th scale. Andriy (Intruder Bass) has done a remarkable job on this project so far, but other projects have taken over. He wants to see it get done and I said I would try my best to make it happen. He has been nice enough to send me the masters for me to continue on his work.

There is no time frame and no promises that I can overcome the hurdles presented but I will try. Again NO PROMISES. There is no pricing and no pre-orders will be accepted.

The project was further along than I had hoped. The work is phenomenal. There will be some changes to facilitate casting parts more than one or two out of a mold set. So what you see may change. I know the cockpit flooring will change. Look for something similar to Cobra Company’s CH-47 cockpit set.

There are still significant items to complete, the hardest being the windows for the cockpit. I’d love to do them in vacuform but I don’t think that will work. I’m still investigating options. Also looking into clear resin but that will again be very expensive.

I will continue to work on the other parts that must be done as I figure out how to do the windows. It might require modifying the kit parts. Again still brainstorming.

I’ve asked for help from Chris Miller of Cobra Company and Joseph Osborn of Fireball Modelworks and both have graciously offered to help as they can. It is good to have friends in the helicopter modeling community. Don’t forget to check out their websites.

This set will not be for the beginner. The set will still require some scratch building and will be VERY expensive. If I didn’t want to do ‘Razor 1’ so bad I would probably not produce this set. Because it is so expensive it will be a very limited edition. No more than 25 or 35 sets for sale. Andriy has promised me the list of those of you who contacted him in reference to the set. When the set is done it will be marketed under the Werner’s Wings/Storm Miniatures label. We are sharing the profits, if there are any after we’ve recovered the cost of the molds.

I’d like to make the additional items for an MH-47G set as well but first things first.

Here is a list of the remaining things. As you can see there is still a lot of work to be done.

MH-47E Project

To do list

Canopy clear parts

Remove Center Console/Rework Cockpit for casting

Mag Compass

CMWS antenna and mounts (back)

“Bubble†antenna on rear pylon (copy the front one)

Chaff/Flare boxes and TWO types of mounts (PE)

Tail angular piece at base of pylon (CAD?)

SATCOM and various antenna

.50 Cal mount for ramp (Need photos)

Modify Front Strut for resin fuel cells

Refuel Probe and plumbing (turned metal end). What I need is a straight on and side view of the InFlight Refuel Probe.

M-134s and/or M-240s plus ejector tubing

Hoist Mounts

Wiring

Cargo Hook

So if any of you have reference photos that you have not already sent me please share them with me at fwernerjr@comcast.net or info@wernerswings.com .

Thanks enjoy the photos. Remember no promises but we are working on it.

Floyd

2012_10_25_4008.jpg

2012_10_25_4007.jpg

2012_10_25_4009.jpg

2012_10_25_4002.jpg

2012_10_25_4005.jpg

2012_10_25_4010.jpg

2012_10_25_4011.jpg

2012_10_25_4012.jpg

2012_10_25_4013.jpg

2012_10_25_4014.jpg

Great news. I am glad this one is moving along as well. The parts so far look awesome. Good job Andriy. I'll keep my fingers crossed for it.

You could probably release some sub-sets from this one too. Most notably the M240D/Hs and .50 cal ramp gun set-up once you have them done. Probably some others too.

Edited by HeavyArty

Hi Floyd

I'm waiting for this set since a long time, I'm in for one.

If you need some CAD help, I can do it for free, providing it's not a rebuild of the complete airframe.

Norbert

Well guys I will tell you this, I stopped by Floyd's place a couple of weeks ago and was able to get a look at this project and seeing it in person was awesome. This is definitely going to be worth the wait and the cost. Floyd is right about the issue with the clear parts for the windows, it will take some time to come up with a good solution, so please be patient. B)

Dave

Yes, it's been a while... Not "6 or more years" as Vandy thinks, but at least five. The masters went through a lot in that period of time. The original master of the nose cone was actually so fragile it did not survive extraction from the mold. Work continued on the second generation master then on third... There had to be a lot of breaks in the process, changes of approach and searches for solution - after all it is not a simple conversion. Several people including Mike Belcher (Belcher Bits), Sid Arnold (ABM), Darren Scannell (Resin Shipyard) and now Chris Miller and Floyd became part of this joint project. It will still take a lot of head scratching to figure out the most efficient way to do the windshield part, but hopefully it will be done sooner or later!

BTW Zactoman also took some part in the project. He was the one who recommended me to contact a vacuum form manufacturer for the original design of the windshield. Although that particular design of the windows did not prove to be adequate, the product itself was great and I can say only great things about the manufacturer himself. Floyd, if you dont hear anything from Falcon, we can always go back to that guy.

Cheers!

Andriy Bass

Not familiar w/ the specifics but could you not graft the kit transparencies onto the MH nose section? Does the Trumpeter kit come with the complete nose section in clear plastic or do they provide individual sections? Regardless, I wish you guys luck with this. It's sure to be an amazing project.

Not familiar w/ the specifics but could you not graft the kit transparencies onto the MH nose section? Does the Trumpeter kit come with the complete nose section in clear plastic or do they provide individual sections? Regardless, I wish you guys luck with this. It's sure to be an amazing project.

I've thought of having the modeler have to cut the kit screen. The MH windscreen is different than the CH one in the area of the cheek windows. Trumpeter molded the entire nose in clear. It seems like a good idea but Trumpeter clear parts are notoriously fragile. What happens if you 'screw the pootch'?

I know it's probably been thought of, but I'll say it anyway. How about the whole nose cone, windows and all, done in clear resin?

Chuck

Chuck, this is VERY expensive. Too expensive for a conversion set that already is going to be high costs and a high kit cost.

Floyd

The most efficient way to add all window panels on that nose is to make the entire front end clear with integrated windows. It would be more a more expensive piece, but the design will simplify the mold and also make it easier to get a fantastic model. I think the benefit to the modeler is enough to offset the cost. The only alternatives are to supply the windows on a vacuum-formed sheet, which will be a major PITA to the modeler, or cast the individual window panels in clear resin, which will drive the overall cost even higher, since you now need another large rubber mold in addition to the expensive clear resin.

folk's

Just have a vote. It is the season!!! Vacuum form or clear resin? We that pick the clear resin know of the cost

difference and are willing to pay more for it. How about selling the Nose / Canopy as a separate part and let the modeler chose Trumpeters part or yours. If that works, I know Different cheek windows. let the modeler pick.

Cheers

Intruder_bass

I am apologizing if I made you upset, Sorry.

See I stared this kit six year ago right when it came out on the market. I also put it on hold when I saw your great work on it, Waiting for the conversion. I have a great idea for a diorama for it. A MH-47 hovering with the tail in a river ramp door open. With Hobbyfan SEAL Zodiac with crew coming up the ramp.

Again sorry. Cheers Mate Danny

This is one of those sets that I highly doubt people are concerned about the price. How much would a clear resin option add? We talking $15 per set or $20? If the set were $125 versus $110, I don't think it will deter people from buying.

I know I've been on board with buying the set since I saw it on these boards 4+ years ago.

Nothing has changed....just glad it is back on the front burner. :)

I'm a VERY proud owner of the massive AH-1 set Joseph did a couple of years ago. It was like $85 or $90 and was worth EVERY penny. This one will be worth it too.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow, that detail is awesome!.I'd love to get a set for my chinook.One question,will I have to buy a whole new Trump delta model cause I have an alpha ?

I think that you should be okay as most of the things are replaced. I'll have to look since I have both kits.

Floyd

What kind of aftermarket parts are we gonna need to make the MH-47?

I think you can live with just this set, however, there are some good things in the Cobra Company CH-47D set. Of course you will need the Werner's Wings Night Stalker-Part 2 decals. They will be released together if I can afford it. LOL

Floyd

Wow, that detail is awesome!.I'd love to get a set for my chinook.One question,will I have to buy a whole new Trump delta model cause I have an alpha ?

The A model and D model use different blades. The A blades have smaller chord and rounded tips. The D blades have a larger chord and squared off tips.

Chris M

Edited by Chief Snake