Well, it's been almost 3 weeks since i finished my last build, will get back into it with the Tony. This is the Hasegawa kit of the short nose Tony. From what i've read, the Tony was the only inline liquid cooled engine fighter ever used by the Japanese Army or Navy. The engine was a copy of the Daimler Benz engine found in the Luftwaffe ME109 Messerschmitts. The kit looks good in the box, reviews indicate it should be a simple build. I like the newer 1/32 Hasegawa kits, very simple with no open panels or complex engine assemblies but well moulded scribed details and Leggo like assembly. I have some aftermarket inbound, Wolfpack decals and Finemold belts are coming from Sprue Bros. I don't know which decal option i will choose, there are lots of colorful schemes for the Tony, though most seem to be for the Tei longnose version. Still fondling the plastic, will start the build during the week. Obligatory box top shot.

IMG_2320.jpg

Don

• 3 weeks later...

Time for an update. Haven't spent a lot of time on the build but managed to get most of the main parts done. The quality of Hasegawa kits makes a fast build possible. I did have to add some fill with MR. Surfacer on some of the fuselage seams. Painted the pit using Tamiya #78 Wood Deck Tan. Didn't really do a lot here as i tried to add a pilot figure. Results were mixed, looks OK but figure painting is just one of my many weak areas. Some pics.

IMG_2321.jpg

IMG_2343.jpg

IMG_2339.jpg

Finally chose the markings, this bird is on the Wolfpack sheet.

IMG_2344.jpg

Don

• 2 weeks later...

Well, i've been progressing on the build. I did a little here and there and finished all subassemblies. There really aren't a lot of parts involved in the kit, something i like. I have given the build a primer coat of Tamiya primer in a can, stuff works great!! Tomorrow i hope to spray the main color coat, Tamiya AS-12 Bare-Metal Silver in a spray bomb. After that will be secondary colors, decals, weathering.... Couple of pics for the night.

IMG_2346.jpg

IMG_2347.jpg

I see i forgot to mask the landing light in the left wing leading edge, darn!!

Don

Did manage to spray on the color coat. The Tamiya spray bombs are the best!!! Stuff sprays and lays down great!! Next i'll be painting some panels with different shades of aluminum and painting on the white panels. The decals do include a red fuselage stripe but i think i'll paint that too. Yellow leading edge ID panels... lots to do. The lightning bolt i'll use the decal along with the tail marking. I did buy some masks made by Scale Precision paint masks for the Hinamaru, think i'll give these a try as well. Progress will be slow, busy as heck at work and coming home dead tired so i'll post when i can. One pic for the night.

IMG_2350.jpg

Don

OK, had time on the weekend to paint most of the stripes etc. I masked and painted the fuselage and wing panels and stripes in white and red. The control surfaces i debated about. Several builds i've seen do have these painted Kawasaki grey, some are silver. The decal sheet instructions said to paint them grey green so to add some color to the build i painted them with Tamiya XF-21 Sky. The leading edges are supposed to be Orange/Yellow, so i added some Tamiya red to Model Master Acryl yellow. Looks much better than a bright yellow. The Hinamaru were masked with Scale Precision Paint Masks. At first i was worried how to place them as i thought they were opaque, turns out they are translucent so placement was super easy. They were probably the simplest insignia to do, the masks worked great and i'll probably use them again. I have everything painted and clearcoated now, will start with the decals tomorrow. Then it's on to weathering. Some pics below. No decals on this yet, this is all paint.

IMG_2351.jpg

IMG_2352.jpg

IMG_2353.jpg

IMG_2354.jpg

IMG_2355.jpg

Don

Looking good, I'm liking your choice of the grey / green on the control surfaces.

The grey/green i wasn't too sure about. Read a few color suggestions about what to use, in the end i flipped a coin. Decals went on tonight, the majority came from Wolfpack and they were printed by Cartograph. They worked great, settling down well. The walkways had to come from the kit, they did not work well, balling up. Leaving them on would be a mistake so i left/took them off, lesser of two evils. I do have a different release of the same kit, it doesn't have walkways and now looking at the Wolfpack instructions walkways aren't used. Yay!! Anyway, will let them dry and clearcoat tomorrow night. Some pics for the night.

IMG_2358.jpg

IMG_2357.jpg

IMG_2356.jpg

Don

Thanks for the encouragement, guys!! Home today due to feeling ill(note to self, stay away from cheep buffets) but did manage to wash the panel lines and small parts. Bormally i use Phil Flory Pro Modeller Wash but am low right now. Made my own using Tamiya Acrylic black, Brown, water and dishwashing soap. I enjoy this part, starts to less like a toy.

Before

IMG_2360.jpg

IMG_2361.jpg

After

IMG_2363.jpg

IMG_2364.jpg

Next dullcoat then more weathering.

Don

Last night i added different shades of oil paint to the build. This added different tones to the paint. I know the usual way of doing this is to add small dabs of oil paint to the finish then to blend with a wide brush with turpentine. What i did was add the small dabs of paint but i blended with a small cloth wet with turpentine. I used Acrylic clears so the turpentine did not affect the clear coat. I think if i used enamels it would have made a huge mess. The results are very subtle, my photo skills aren't enough to show the results but they add a patina to the finish that looks like a very fine film of grime and dirt to the build. Some pics, they don't show the effect properly but there is a difference from the previous pics.

IMG_2394.jpg

IMG_2391.jpg

IMG_2385.jpg

IMG_2383.jpg

IMG_2378.jpg

Next step will be MiG Pigments. I've started final assembly, should have this done this weekend.

Don

OK, went ahead and hit the tops of the wings, fuselage sides and exhaust areas with MiG Pigments.

IMG_2403.jpg

IMG_2402.jpg

IMG_2401.jpg

Starting final build, just hace antenna, pitot tube and prop to install. Have to let main gear dry overnight.

Don

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice job on the 61. :thumbsup:

As a kid I primarily built WW2 US aircraft (mostly the 1/48 Monogram kits). Since I got back into the hobby as an adult I have really branched out, and I really like seeing the aircraft beside others of the same scale. I have been amazed to see how much larger the US fighters were compared to most others.