Possible Zoukei-Mura 1/32 Scale Fw 190?

Hi guys

I just saw on Large Scale Planes Forums that there is a possibility of Zoukei-Mura releasing a 1/32 scale BMW-powered Fw 190 model in the future. We have the basic but accurate Hasegawa series, the limited run PCM Fw 190 A-1/2/3 and the Montex resin conversion sets of the A-3/4 for the Hasegawa kits. What are your opinions of a possible Zoukei-Mura model of this fighter? Overall they seem like quite nice kits and generally appear to be quite accurate but I must admit that I have little interest in their internal details included approach. I do not have any of their kits so far but I might care to look closely at this one if it is released.

Horrido!

Leo

I'll add my comment from the perspective of someone who has bought only one ZM kit - the P-51D and compared it side-by-side with the Tamiya offering. That being said, the caveat here is that this is my opinion and everyone has one.

Whether one can recommend the ZM kits or not really depends on what you are looking for in a model.

ZM kits as many know are well known for the high parts count attributable to the extensive detail that they include. Depending upon how you build the kit, the detail provided may be visible or it may be hidden. For instance, in the ZM kit, you get an engine block half with molded in pistons and pushrods. You would think that the other half would be clear do show the detail, but it isn't nor do you get the cam to which the pushrods connect. Also, it's important to note that not all of the detail provided gives one a 100% accurate 1/32nd replica of the detail of the actual P-51's inner workings. For instance, the rib detail provided in the P-51D kit reminds me a lot of the internal detail provided in the old Monogram visible P-51D, it's detail emulated, not detail replicated.

That being said, there are some modelers who are drawn to the extra detail and I certainly don't diminish their preference. If that is what you want, then ZM is up your alley.

Yet, when I compared it side-by-side with the Tamiya offering of the same subject, what I noticed is that the fine detail on the ZM moldings is soft. In fact, it was so soft on one side of the wheel well detail that the difference was painfully obvious. I viewed both the TA152 and the Shinden a fellow modeler bought and the detail was soft on those too.

So, if you are the guy who likes to "button up" your bird and have a very nicely molded replica of an aircraft, then maybe ZM isn't for you. If on the other hand you want the extra details with panels off to show off the innards, and you want a really great building manual, then grab a ZM kit. I personally won't be buying another unless there is a kit they release that is on my gotta-have list and no one else is doing it. Again, this is a personal preference.

Were I faced with a ZM Fw190 A series or the newer Hasegawa release, Hasegawa would win hands-down, because that's my preference.

Do you see a trend? It's all about what you like. Hope I've been able to convey appropriately that it isn't about which is a better kit, but whether the kit features fit who you are as a modeler.

Hi guys

I just saw on Large Scale Planes Forums that there is a possibility of Zoukei-Mura releasing a 1/32 scale BMW-powered Fw 190 model in the future. We have the basic but accurate Hasegawa series, the limited run PCM Fw 190 A-1/2/3 and the Montex resin conversion sets of the A-3/4 for the Hasegawa kits. What are your opinions of a possible Zoukei-Mura model of this fighter? Overall they seem like quite nice kits and generally appear to be quite accurate but I must admit that I have little interest in their internal details included approach. I do not have any of their kits so far but I might care to look closely at this one if it is released.

Horrido!

Leo

Now I'll be in line for this one! But I'd like to see either and F8 or a G3. But probably most folks would want to see an FW190D9, and really don't need any more FW190's in my stash as I have close to twenty already.

gary

I'll add my comment from the perspective of someone who has bought only one ZM kit - the P-51D and compared it side-by-side with the Tamiya offering. That being said, the caveat here is that this is my opinion and everyone has one.

Whether one can recommend the ZM kits or not really depends on what you are looking for in a model.

ZM kits as many know are well known for the high parts count attributable to the extensive detail that they include. Depending upon how you build the kit, the detail provided may be visible or it may be hidden. For instance, in the ZM kit, you get an engine block half with molded in pistons and pushrods. You would think that the other half would be clear do show the detail, but it isn't nor do you get the cam to which the pushrods connect. Also, it's important to note that not all of the detail provided gives one a 100% accurate 1/32nd replica of the detail of the actual P-51's inner workings. For instance, the rib detail provided in the P-51D kit reminds me a lot of the internal detail provided in the old Monogram visible P-51D, it's detail emulated, not detail replicated.

That being said, there are some modelers who are drawn to the extra detail and I certainly don't diminish their preference. If that is what you want, then ZM is up your alley.

Yet, when I compared it side-by-side with the Tamiya offering of the same subject, what I noticed is that the fine detail on the ZM moldings is soft. In fact, it was so soft on one side of the wheel well detail that the difference was painfully obvious. I viewed both the TA152 and the Shinden a fellow modeler bought and the detail was soft on those too.

So, if you are the guy who likes to "button up" your bird and have a very nicely molded replica of an aircraft, then maybe ZM isn't for you. If on the other hand you want the extra details with panels off to show off the innards, and you want a really great building manual, then grab a ZM kit. I personally won't be buying another unless there is a kit they release that is on my gotta-have list and no one else is doing it. Again, this is a personal preference.

Were I faced with a ZM Fw190 A series or the newer Hasegawa release, Hasegawa would win hands-down, because that's my preference.

Do you see a trend? It's all about what you like. Hope I've been able to convey appropriately that it isn't about which is a better kit, but whether the kit features fit who you are as a modeler.

personally, if I ran that company I'd look at a super duper detailed OV10A or an A37B in 1/32 scale. But if they wanted to sell a lot of kits, the Corsair would be the place to venture into. Not a Mustang junkie, but felt their Mustang was as good if not better than anybody elses. But should have been a P51B

gary

Hi guys

Many thanks for your responses. I have come across some mention that the panel lines on Zoukei-Mura kits are somewhat soft in comparison to other manufactures, including Hasegawa. These are very nice kits and I have seen some amazing builds of the Ta 152 and the Skyraider but much of their focus is on the internal structure which for me at least is not that important. One thing that I would really like from a Zoukei-Mura Fw 190 is the almost certainly included BMW 801 rather than just a rather simplified engine front as on the Hasegawa. At the same time, though, the Hasegawa Fw 190 series are very nice on their own and with the available aftermarket such that by EagleParts are very hard to beat. Nevertheless, having the option to choose between the Hasegawa and Zoukei-Mura approach to model designing is great.

Horrido!

Leo

• 1 year later...

Hi guys

It looks like Zoukei-Mura has confirmed that they will be releasing a radial engined 1/32 scale Fw 190 in the future. Some are thinking that this means that they will be doing the versions with the short engine mount (A-1 through A-4) but I haven't really seen anything to confirm this. If they do, I hope that they include the relevant details such as the correct cockpit instrument panel and consoles and the early type main landing gear legs. I have to say that this is the first subject which they will release that I am interested in and it will be interesting to see how it compares to what is currently available.

Horrido!

Leo

• 1 month later...

Hi guys

It seems as if Zoukei-Mura will be releasing the Fw 190 A-3 and A-5/6/7 kits in their new Basic Series and the Fw 190 A-4, A-8 and D-9 kits in the Super Wing Series in 1/32 scale. Unfortunately, I have not seen any mention of a possible date when these new projects might appear on the market.

Horrido!

Leo

Hi guys

It seems as if Zoukei-Mura will be releasing the Fw 190 A-3 and A-5/6/7 kits in their new Basic Series and the Fw 190 A-4, A-8 and D-9 kits in the Super Wing Series in 1/32 scale. Unfortunately, I have not seen any mention of a possible date when these new projects might appear on the market.

Horrido!

Leo

lets hope somebody sells the after market parts to build a G2 and later, and a complete F series (2 thru 8). I can pretty much see me getting each one. I also see a couple more "D series" kits as the parts are already in the catalog.

gary

I was at the Nat's and they took a poll during the raffle ...What I took from it is either an F-86,F4 or F-14 will be released in the next year...They did not say which sub model it would be or any idea of scales

Personally I hope its the Tomcat in 48th....please be 48th....please!!!