This guy has been sitting in my bin for sometime now and lately the itch to build him just kept getting stronger and stronger. I figured this would be a good time because I can get some steps done during the in-between stages on a couple of other builds (both posts coming soon!). It’s also a fairly straight-forward build because it needs very little work to be built up nicely. REL (Richard Long, Sovereign Replicas) patterned this a few years back and sold off the master to JBOT.

tiedef01.jpg

Here’s a list of the modifications I’ve done (all it “needsâ€Â):

wings were a little misshapen so I heated and fixed

tiedef02.jpg

tiedef03.jpg

sanded down canopy panel to allow a flush fit for the clear resin canopy

tiedef05.jpg

tiedef06.jpg

added some detail to the rear opening in each wing

tiedef11.jpg

added small steel tubes to replace the laser cannon barrels

tiedef12.jpg

tiedef13.jpg

more progress

tiedef04.jpg

tiedef07.jpg

I could have hollowed out the cockpit ball pretty easily but I didn’t really want to deal with a cockpit build up for this one. It’ll be badass enough. God, I just love the shape of this fighter!

The TIE Defender has long always been one of my favorite designs from the Lucasarts X-Wing game series. I've just never been 100% happy with the model interpretations out there (the solar wings getting shortened seemed to take some of the bulk out of the design compared to the original images from the game).

That being said, I really love what you've done with your model thus far. The minor tweaks make it look that much nicer. Doing the whole bird in black for the solar wings is what I've had to do with my own TIE Fighter models and it works great as a pre-shade. So do you plan to do this bird in a gray shade or a bluer one?

Edited by Jay Chladek

Yes, I agree, the wings should be about 10-15% longer...but I'm ok with it as is...

I'm thinking a coat of the Testors Light Ghost Gray. It just seems perfect for TIEs IMHO...at least the way I'd like to build them. I'll also do a cool wash and some chipping/weathering, too.

Man I wish there was some wy they would re-do those X-wing games. I loved them and played them daily growing up. Seems like it would be good market for the newer consoles with the model X-wing vs Tie Fighter went with near the end of the series. Great aspect for multiplayer game.

Hated going up against the Defenders as you always had to drop shields and guns to near minimum in order to keep up with the little buggers. Plus the firepower they packed was massive.

Look forward to seeing this one done.

My favorite fighter for going against these nasty TIEs was the Missile Boat equipped with a SLAM drive. Throw ALL power from the shields and laser back into the engines and NOTHING could catch you. Then just spin around, chuck off a few missiles and watch the fun (even better with a tractor beam weapon). :D I believe one of the resin producers is supposed to be doing a Missile Boat (the original sleek version as opposed to the ugly thing made from Imp shuttle parts as seen in the later CD roms), but I don't know what the time table is for its release.

I never had the luck to play any of the TIE or X-Wing games. Rebel Assault was my introduction to SW gaming...gosh I wish there was a really good flight sim with up-to-date gameplay + graphics...like a Rogue Squadron adventures game or some such thing...

Anyway, Alfred Wong is the guy making the Gunboats. He has one in 1/48 + 1/72: http://www.alfredsmind.ca/productspg.html

Wings masked, whole thing painted with Haze gray from the bottle, masks removed, flat black touch up, cool gray wash applied + cleaned….

Tonight/tomorrow will be dry brushing, scorch marking, detailing, flat coating and engine adding. Pics to follow after the weekend so i can get back into the studio on Monday.

tiedef23.jpg

tiedef24.jpg

tiedef25.jpg

tiedef26.jpg

tiedef27.jpg

tiedef28.jpg

tiedef29.jpg

tiedef30.jpg

Very nice build, and I've always like that design as well.

I think I have this kit, or maybe a larger version of it? I think it's an old Lunar Models resin kit or something from years ago. I bought it and put the box on a shelf for when I was ready to try a resin kit, and haven't gotten there yet.

Thanks, you helped jog my memory. I still have the kit, but it's in a box on a shelf in my garage with the rest of my stash so I can't easily get to it to look, but using some of the info you provided I found it - it is from SMT, who is now defunct, and is 1/48.

Here's a site I found with a little info on it, in case anyone's curious:

http://www.starwarsmodels.com/tiedf.html

Edited by Ken Cartwright