Tamiya 1/48th Avro Lancaster 'one off'

Not very often you see VeRA built these days so I thought I'd give it a go a was quite

an hard build as there are many differences to a MK-X to a MK-III Avro Lancaster.

Kit:- 1/48th Tamiya Avro Lancaster.

Decals:- After-market decals are from CanMILAir.

No weathering at all on this model as she represents a fresh over-all.

The upper turret position is further up the fuselage and that its a Glen Martin turret complete with 50 cal machine guns.

Exhaust stub stacks are very different and resemble exhausts off a Mosquito! Had to find someone who makes Mosquito exhausts.

There are no fuselage side windows at all apart from near nav' area.

Wheels/hubs are from a Avro Lincoln, alter the original wheels to resemble Lincoln wheels.

Rear tail wheel is not the twin shimmy type, But a Dunlop inflatable.

Wing-tip lights are totally different in that they are fully painted over with just eight little lights on the corners.

Nav' window on pilots is a small oval,no big square window.

Co' Pilots nav' side has just one big square window, re-position square window and fill one oval and old square window.

No aerials on nose, fill holes.

De-icers in front of canopy are closer together than the standard Lanc'

No Blind-pole on fuselage, fill three holes.

No pilot armour.

The whole cockpit resembles VRA and looks nothing wartime like!

Pictures to follow ASAP! Having trouble loading them up :bandhead2:

vr008.jpg

Anti theft Brake lock[the red plastic red] and sat-nav' added to the cockpit.

Edited by ian lanc

WARNING PICTURE HEAVY SO MAY TAKE SOME UPLOADING :bandhead2:

1/48th Tamiya Avro Lancaster. VR-A. KB726 model. aka year 2003ish.

vrafinished001.jpg

vrafinished005.jpg

vrafinished004.jpg

vrafinished016.jpg

vrafinished024.jpg

vrafinished023.jpg

vrafinished022.jpg

vrafinished021.jpg

vrafinished020.jpg

Edited by ian lanc

A few more to bore you guys! :sunrevolves:

vrafinished018.jpg

vrafinished017.jpg

vrafinished008.jpg

vrafinished007.jpg

vrafinished013.jpg

vrafinished015.jpg

vrafinished014.jpg

vrafinished010.jpg

vrafinished012.jpg

Thanks for looking and many thanks for being a swell bunch of guys :thumbsup:

Ian Collis and his wee' Tea-Tray from a little Village called Mansfield Woodhouse in good old UK :woot.gif:

Edited by ian lanc

Fantastic job, Ian!! I always love your Lancs. She really looks the part, and I can say that with authority as I was up close and personal with VeRA just a couple of weeks ago. Well done! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Don

Edited by Big Daddy

Ian.

Hope you are god.nice to see you still building and posting :thumbsup:

That is one of your finest Lancaster to date.

She looks SUPERB.

You did a great job..

Keep up your EXCELLENT standards.

Good work. :worship:

Edited by HOLMES

Hi Ian! Great job of our Canuck "Kite"! I really like all the subtle changes you've done, including the little window panel notches in the front and tail gun turrets. That Glen Martin upper turret really looks the part. How did you find one of those?

Again, really great job and although I like my birds dirty, this one really isn't so weathering is necessary. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

PS. I've climbed through the Mynarski Lanc and I have pics of the upper wing surfaces like the one below. Even on this clean bird, there is still a lot of heavy exhaust staining up top and around the exhausts. Are you still going to add some?

Mynarski4.jpg

Edited by chuck540z3

Hi Ian! Great job of our Canuck "Kite"! I really like all the subtle changes you've done, including the little window panel notches in the front and tail gun turrets. That Glen Martin upper turret really looks the part. How did you find one of those?

Again, really great job and although I like my birds dirty, this one really isn't so weathering is necessary. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

PS. I've climbed through the Mynarski Lanc and I have pics of the upper wing surfaces like the one below. Even on this clean bird, there is still a lot of heavy exhaust staining up top and around the exhausts. Are you still going to add some?

Hi Chuck,

The glen Martin turret is from a Revell B26 Marauder which i've had for ages,

the other bits on the fuselage like the fairing and strengthing plates are just plastic.

I think I will be slightly weathering it but not going to go mad on it though

VeRA wings used to be washed weekly until the newness wore off and now it's

starting to look a bit mucky and many panels are getting chipped.

Ian.

what a great looking paint job alone! I've never seen this variant, and would love to do one in 1/72

gary

You mean you have never seen or known about VR-A ? or to the people in the know she is called VeRA

One of only two 'airworthy' Lanc's in the world.

• 2 weeks later...

Well done, Ian. I was lucky to be present for the Official First Flight of this aircraft, back in 1988. A few of years later, while visiting my parents in Nova Scotia, I got to see her again at CFB Greenwood and to get a tour inside.

Chris